RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

When I woke up, I had to check my phone just to make sure this wasn’t a dream.  Clelin Ferrell and Daniel Jones taken at 4 and 6?  Wow.  Just wow.  

Now I REALLY can’t wait for training camp.  Hell, OTA’s. Just wanna see this force of nature running around in the best uniform the NFL has to offer

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

As always, reactions to the pick of Oliver varies across the sports world.  Many pundits love it.  I guess Andy Benoit (SI: MMQB)  was tepid about the pick, saying the Bills already had Lotulelei, Harrison Phillips and Jordan Phillips at DT, and have a more glaring need at edge rusher.  With all due respect to Benoit, I think he's wrong.  Yes, the Bills need to find a successor to Jerry Hughes at some point and they still aren't getting all they need from Lawson/Murphy on the other end of the D-line, but Lotulelei and Harrison Phillips are one tech guys.  Harrison could probably play 3 tech, but he's not going to be as disruptive as McDermott needs his 3 tech to be.  Jordan Phillips is a huge 3 tech, and has his moments as a disrupter, but he's not as consistent as you'd like.  That means his ceiling may be as a rotational guy.  Oliver is potentially the most disruptive 3 tech Buffalo could possibly have, and he's consistent, going hard every single play.  Incredibly, Houston played Oliver as a sub 280 lb nose tackle.  His job was tying up blockers.  He still made a lot of plays, but I think the Bills are looking to get a lot more productivity out of him by sliding him into 3 tech.

Completely agree.  You just cant not take Oliver there if you're us.  He's got best player in the Draft potential and is as close to Aaron Donald, since...Aaron Donald.

Jordan Phillips is a very good rotational DT, but not consistent enough to be more than that on a good defense.

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This article should convince you:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/21/18232987/nfl-draft-2019-ed-oliver-buffalo-bills-scouting-report-breakdown-pass-rusher

This one clip is what made me fall in love a couple months ago. Made me think of Kyle Williams. 

OliverTech3.gif

He has an endless motor and an elite first step. He will be a nightmare for QBs.

before i even saw what you wrote about thinking of Williams I watched the gif and it immediately took me back to the season opener 2 years ago vs the jets when he pressured the qb and then worked all the way back to drop the rb that caught the pass for slim to no gain. 

HIGH OCTANE BABY!!!

12 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Ive also seen many articles describing Oliver as the best defensive player in the draft.  That he wanted to come here is amazing.  He is going to epic from day 1.

Winner: The Bills' defensive line:

Congratulations, Bills, You got to watch Houston defensive lineman Ed Oliver, the best defensive player in this class, fall to your ninth overall pick, and you were smart enough to draft him. Now, let me give you a bit of advice. Don't do what Houston's coaches did and play him at nose tackle 65% of the time. Instead, make him a 3-tech tackle who can flex out to end, and watch him use his generational combination of power, speed, and leverage terrorize the other quarterbacks and running backs in the AFC East and beyond. Comparisons have been made to Aaron Donald, but Oliver reminds me more of Hall-of-Fame defensive tackle John Randle in his furious, unstoppable style. (Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports)

I believe we got a great player but no one with a brain in his head thought he was ever lining up as 1 tech. John Randle is an interesting comparison tho.

34 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He’s a bit country for sure.  NYC will be an interesting spot for him.  Oliver will bring some much-needed character to the Bills’ D...

Jets and Giants players aren't in NYC... They will be residents of Dirty jersey...

I was driving back from vacation listening to Sirius XM.  After the bills selected Oliver both Pat Kirwan and Gil Brandt loved the pick but both went on to say he needs to become “coachable”.  I guess he complained a lot at the combine about doing silly drills and whatnot. 

Based on value its its hard to not be happy.  

Edited by mattynh

I love the pick.  As others have noted he is great value at #9 and fits a need. 

I also think he is an example of the new type of DT that will percolate through the NFL over the next few years.  A little undersized but very explosive off the ball, great hand strength and a knack for creating havoc by deeply penetrating the O-line.  I think we're moving away from the days of the behemoth DT's that only needed to tie up space so LB's could make plays.

As an added benefit the guy looks tailor made for Buffalo.  I love the way he waded out into the Bills crowd to high five & hug folks.  Seems like the Bill's brain-trust does seriously look at personality types in making their selections. 

2 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Great pick for you guys! I wanted Oliver.

Y'all got a good one in Quinnen... he's a freak of nature... big man running that fast with that high of a motor is unseen... Idk if he fits the Jets 3-4 system better than he would fit our 4-3 but we shall see...

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

before i even saw what you wrote about thinking of Williams I watched the gif and it immediately took me back to the season opener 2 years ago vs the jets when he pressured the qb and then worked all the way back to drop the rb that caught the pass for slim to no gain. 

HIGH OCTANE BABY!!!

I remember in 1990, watching Damien Covington in a preseason game - small, not too fast, but quick to the ball and in on every play. 

Oliver has that ball-hawking style, too.  I'll take defensive players like that any time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Happy to see them get a DT that can be disruptive and cause some havoc - need to get in Brady's face to be the Cheaters, not just hold the LOS

This times 10. Pressure up the middle is crucial against Brady. I am so excited that Oliver is a Buffalo Bill! I absolutely LOVE the John Randle comparison.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

10 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Great pick for you guys! I wanted Oliver.

Quinnen is great.

In fact, all three of the AFC East teams drafted quality DTs that should hopefully shorten Brady's career a bit! ?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Oh yeah! I thought the Dolphins made a fantastic pick themselves from where they drafted.

Too bad they're tanking for the foreseeable future. And Fitzriptrip is a bad QB to tank with TBH. Great for at least 4 5TD games of inexplicable dominance 

Haha so true.