RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

11 hours ago, Sweats said:

Beane is a genius cause the pick fell in their lap..........wait?..........what?!?

There was a ton of talk trading up. Beane could have pulled the trigger, potentially giving up future 1sts or other high-value picks this year (possibly just to get the same guy), but he didn't. He managed to avoid panicking and didn't overthink the pick or trade back.

Yes, it was an obvious pick, but we got great value by not overreacting and losing assets to get him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

From Walter Football:

Buffalo Bills: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston  A+ Grade  
It took an unreasonable agent, a reach on a quarterback and a mediocre top-eight pick used on a tight end, but the Bills won the draft. Congrats, Buffalo! Oliver could end up being the best player from this entire class. He's drawn Aaron Donald comparisons for a reason, and he'll be a great replacement for Kyle Williams. Buffalo wanted to trade up for Oliver, yet didn't have to at all. This is an easy A+ grade.

..nice.....plenty of "A" grades out there and descriptions of the pick as "a steal".....comparisons to Vikes' HOF'er John Randle........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

It's funny to see some of the usual suspects dismiss the Oliver pick as a "no brainer" that "fell into Beane's lap."  Good luck is typically the result of good preparation.

Yes, once Oliver was on the board at #9 it was an easy decision, but the reason the Bills were prepared is because of their work leading up to the draft and the various mock draft scenarios they played out internally.  They were prepared for whatever happened and did not panic or trade out of the spot, and wound up getting a top 3 overall talent at #9 who happens to be a freaking perfect fit for this team.

If you want to say the Bills got lucky go ahead, but they created their own luck.

Exactly. We got our guy without giving up anything! I've never been so excited for a Raiders and Giants pick.

43 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Fair enough. I’m ok with getting greedy or Murphy just because they’re graded as 1st rounders. But I’m still concerned about the offense 

Greedy has major tackling issues and Murphy is a zone guy only pretty much.  Beginning of round 2 is probably where they should be going. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

May be meaningless but I had Quinnen Williams just ahead of Oliver before last night. I watched them both at the draft and for some reason QW looked about 5 years younger than Ed. Like a kid vs a man. Anyone else get that impression? Again may be meaningless and QW is a great player and person, I am not knocking him. It just stood out. 

I think Q Williams is the best player in this draft but he sounded...slow, in his interview on NFL Network. I thought I was listening to Bubba from Forrest Gump, he was that bad.

1 minute ago, MDH said:

I think Q Williams is the best player in this draft but he sounded...slow, in his interview on NFL Network. I thought I was listening to Bubba from Forrest Gump, he was that bad.

He’s a bit country for sure.  NYC will be an interesting spot for him.  Oliver will bring some much-needed character to the Bills’ D...

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

I noticed this as well.   The way Oliver carried himself (even the way he dressed) seemed a cut above all the other, I hate to say it, kids picked in the top 10.   He seemed like he was already a NFL pro, or that the gap toward becoming one would be smaller for him than the other guys.

I just hope that aspect carries over to the field as well.   But he couldn't have landed in a better situation, so I suspect it will...

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

He sure is saying some positive things! I sure hope he works out for us. We definitely deserve it.

This article should convince you:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/21/18232987/nfl-draft-2019-ed-oliver-buffalo-bills-scouting-report-breakdown-pass-rusher

This one clip is what made me fall in love a couple months ago. Made me think of Kyle Williams. 

OliverTech3.gif

He has an endless motor and an elite first step. He will be a nightmare for QBs.

• Like (+1) 2

Obviously late to this party, but just want to say Im THRILLED how the first round worked out for us, and with the Oliver selection!

Time to dig through the current 19 pages to see who is whining about the pick (since there is always someone who wants to complain).

Looking forward to a productive 2nd round today!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, quincy said:

Looks like I have 19 pages to read through, my observations:

Picking at 9, Buffalo got amazing value.

Looking at the 14 big boards on FanSpeak that have been updated this week, Ed Oliver ranks between number 3 and number 7 on every board.

10 out of the 14 boards have him at the best player available to pick at 9.

One board had Jeffrey Simmons higher, one had both Jeffrey Simmons and Brian Burns higher, one had Jawaan Taylor and the other Dwayne Haskins.

His happy reaction to be picked by Buffalo is priceless. Great to see. All the best to him and the team in 2019. 

Ive also seen many articles describing Oliver as the best defensive player in the draft.  That he wanted to come here is amazing.  He is going to epic from day 1.

Winner: The Bills' defensive line:

Congratulations, Bills, You got to watch Houston defensive lineman Ed Oliver, the best defensive player in this class, fall to your ninth overall pick, and you were smart enough to draft him. Now, let me give you a bit of advice. Don't do what Houston's coaches did and play him at nose tackle 65% of the time. Instead, make him a 3-tech tackle who can flex out to end, and watch him use his generational combination of power, speed, and leverage terrorize the other quarterbacks and running backs in the AFC East and beyond. Comparisons have been made to Aaron Donald, but Oliver reminds me more of Hall-of-Fame defensive tackle John Randle in his furious, unstoppable style. (Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports)
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As always, reactions to the pick of Oliver varies across the sports world.  Many pundits love it.  I guess Andy Benoit (SI: MMQB)  was tepid about the pick, saying the Bills already had Lotulelei, Harrison Phillips and Jordan Phillips at DT, and have a more glaring need at edge rusher.  With all due respect to Benoit, I think he's wrong.  Yes, the Bills need to find a successor to Jerry Hughes at some point and they still aren't getting all they need from Lawson/Murphy on the other end of the D-line, but Lotulelei and Harrison Phillips are one tech guys.  Harrison could probably play 3 tech, but he's not going to be as disruptive as McDermott needs his 3 tech to be.  Jordan Phillips is a huge 3 tech, and has his moments as a disrupter, but he's not as consistent as you'd like.  That means his ceiling may be as a rotational guy.  Oliver is potentially the most disruptive 3 tech Buffalo could possibly have, and he's consistent, going hard every single play.  Incredibly, Houston played Oliver as a sub 280 lb nose tackle.  His job was tying up blockers.  He still made a lot of plays, but I think the Bills are looking to get a lot more productivity out of him by sliding him into 3 tech.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea, it has to be a case that most people haven't watched him because he mostly occupied the 0T. Houston asked him to move laterally across the line and he wasn't asked to pass the rush as much but when he did he was a monster. He is a natural 3T and will be a beast, book it.

The Bills scheme will have Oliver attacking the gaps with plenty of added twists and stunts to take advantage of his bend, ability to shed blocks, and speed.

Our d-line has too many guys on it now who tend to get tangled up with blockers struggling on the wrong side of the LOS. The main reason RBs were hitting our 2nd level LBs and safeties with a full head of steam.

We need players that can be disruptive on the other side of the LOS. Oliver and a few other DTs that went early last night fit the bill.

We pick again soon, and look at the players left! J. Taylor, Risner, Irv Smith, Metcalf, Greedy Williams, etc. Guys some people would have been happy with at 9! Let our guy fall to us again! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1