RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

5 minutes ago, Speedy Beebe said:

I think they’ve said before that FA is about fixing the teams problems, acquiring need. They made an attempt at picking up playmakers. Two wrs, two rbs and a te. Now I’m not saying that all these players will be big time playmakers but as of right now the offense is in better position than it was last year.  Can’t fix all the problems/holes in one year.   Also, they still have more picks and could even trade back up into the second.

Maybe. But I don't have a whole lot of faith at the moment.

1 minute ago, Speedy Beebe said:

I think they’ve said before that FA is about fixing the teams problems, acquiring need. They made an attempt at picking up playmakers. Two wrs, two rbs and a te. Now I’m not saying that all these players will be big time playmakers but as of right now the offense is in better position than it was last year.  Can’t fix all the problems/holes in one year.   Also, they still have more picks and could even trade back up into the second.

WR has been a need since they traded Sammy. Our skill position players on offense don’t scare anybody. 

Yes it it looks better than last year but that was said after we traded for Benjamin 

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

Overall, I am not thrilled by the pick. This is just a gut feeling, NOT an all knowing proclamation!

The jacket incident concerns me just a bit (not a lot).

I am more concerned with the size issue and the fact that because he played against such poor competition he would seem to be untested. I guess this would indicate a low floor but who really knows.

I hope that these initial misgivings are wrong. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not trying to talk you off the ledge but he was a 5 star recruit. To play devil’s advocate he was an All-American as a freshman and a dominant player. He played at Houston and received tons of attention because the rest of his team wasn’t exactly loaded with talent. They also misused him. They played him a lot over the center which is really stupid. The Bills knew that. They will slide him over and he will penetrate. He’s going to be a nightmare. 

The Bills are really, really good in the secondary IMO. They did it last year despite a not-so-good pass rush. With a little more penetration I expect more turnovers and that’s a good thing. This is a home run IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Overall, I am not thrilled by the pick. This is just a gut feeling, NOT an all knowing proclamation!

The jacket incident concerns me just a bit (not a lot).

I am more concerned with the size issue and the fact that because he played against such poor competition he would seem to be untested. I guess this would indicate a low floor but who really knows.

I hope that these initial misgivings are wrong. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

192 tackles (53 for a loss - 25% of his tackles were for a loss!), 13.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 11 pass deflections over three seasons - most of that AS A NOSE TACKLE!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

192 tackles (53 for a loss - 25% of his tackles were for a loss!), 13.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 11 pass deflections over three seasons - most of that AS A NOSE TACKLE!

Preach Coach ... love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Jerry Hughes is smiling from ear to ear I bet and Tom Brady has soiled his pants.

The top 3 DTs in the draft (likely all blue chippers) will be lined up against him 6 times this season.

Oh yeah! I thought the Dolphins made a fantastic pick themselves from where they drafted.

Too bad they're tanking for the foreseeable future. And Fitzriptrip is a bad QB to tank with TBH. Great for at least 4 5TD games of inexplicable dominance 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yea, it has to be a case that most people haven't watched him because he mostly occupied the 0T. Houston asked him to move laterally across the line and he wasn't asked to pass the rush as much but when he did he was a monster. He is a natural 3T and will be a beast, book it.

35 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Because I don't believe BPA is always a good idea.

Exactly. Everyone seems to be on the BPA train these days. The Giants went BPA last year with Barkley, and missed out on Allen and Darnold. Now they have Jones as their future franchise QB. 

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

May be meaningless but I had Quinnen Williams just ahead of Oliver before last night. I watched them both at the draft and for some reason QW looked about 5 years younger than Ed. Like a kid vs a man. Anyone else get that impression? Again may be meaningless and QW is a great player and person, I am not knocking him. It just stood out. 

Ya, that didnt seem to sit well w jets fans:)

8 hours ago, The Senator said:

Why the whining?  Couple of months in that new weight room and a few meals at Mulberry’s, he’ll be 310 in no time.

Christ, kid’s 22 and still growing.

Go with the side dish of Meatballs!!!  They're like bowling balls.

Edited by TAinLA

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not trying to talk you off the ledge but he was a 5 star recruit. To play devil’s advocate he was an All-American as a freshman and a dominant player. He played at Houston and received tons of attention because the rest of his team wasn’t exactly loaded with talent. They also misused him. They played him a lot over the center which is really stupid. The Bills knew that. They will slide him over and he will penetrate. He’s going to be a nightmare. 

The Bills are really, really good in the secondary IMO. They did it last year despite a not-so-good pass rush. With a little more penetration I expect more turnovers and that’s a good thing. This is a home run IMO.

Exactly.

It's a double edge sword.  He played at Houston, against "lesser" competition (but let's be real here, the AAC is still full of future NFL players and the talent level of most of the league isn't that different from an Illinois or Rutgers) but was the focus of every single offensive game plan and was still productive.  Meanwhile these guys from Bama, OSU, Clemson are playing with 8-10 other NFL players on their team and half the games (or more) are against wildly out manned squads.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/25/bills-draft-houston-defensive-tackle-ed-oliver-with-first-round-pick/

Few good quotes

"So, I was not surprised, not one bit. It was kind of like one of those, 'Well, you know we're going to get you if you're there.' So I was praying I'd get there, honestly, because I like the coaches so much that I was just praying I got there."

Wow - when was the last time a first round pick said they were "praying" to go to Buffalo  

After his combine performance, Oliver starred at Houston's Pro Day, which was attended by Beane and McDermott. At one point, McDermott was watching a drill so intently at close range that he and Oliver almost collided.

"You could feel him. You could feel his presence and energy," McDermott said Thursday night. "You could feel his workout. The closer you got, the more you felt the power, the quickness. That hunger is a critical piece that we look for."

Also - looks like the new performance center was a good investment wrt a positive thing to attract players

Oliver's favorite part of visiting the Bills was seeing their new, $18 million sports performance center.

"Brand new, just opened a couple of days before I got there," he said. "So it was really like a joy to just see it and see all the new technology they got there. I can't wait to get there and use it for just pre-hab, not rehab but pre-hab. I just want to use it."

Happy to see them get a DT that can be disruptive and cause some havoc - need to get in Brady's face to beat the Cheaters, not just hold the LOS

Edit : just watched the PC, where McD actually said Oliver "brings his lunchpail" :w00t:

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chemical said:

WR has been a need since they traded Sammy. Our skill position players on offense don’t scare anybody. 

Yes it it looks better than last year but that was said after we traded for Benjamin 

You take what the draft gives you. If not then you end up with a Donte Hitner. I’m not saying that the bills don’t need a wr or te. I was just trying to explain that if a corner is drafted in the second it’s nothing to be concerned about. 

From Walter Football:

Buffalo Bills: Ed Oliver, DT, Houston  A+ Grade  
It took an unreasonable agent, a reach on a quarterback and a mediocre top-eight pick used on a tight end, but the Bills won the draft. Congrats, Buffalo! Oliver could end up being the best player from this entire class. He's drawn Aaron Donald comparisons for a reason, and he'll be a great replacement for Kyle Williams. Buffalo wanted to trade up for Oliver, yet didn't have to at all. This is an easy A+ grade.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Speedy Beebe said:

You take what the draft gives you. If not then you end up with a Donte Hitner. I’m not saying that the bills don’t need a wr or te. I was just trying to explain that if a corner is drafted in the second it’s nothing to be concerned about. 

Fair enough. I’m ok with getting greedy or Murphy just because they’re graded as 1st rounders. But I’m still concerned about the offense 

Just now, Chemical said:

Fair enough. I’m ok with getting greedy or Murphy just because they’re graded as 1st rounders. But I’m still concerned about the offense 

I’m sure most of us are. But if Tre gets hurt then what? Hope Gaines can play a full season? Then everyone will be saying we should have drafted a cb.

Looks like I have 19 pages to read through, my observations:

Picking at 9, Buffalo got amazing value.

Looking at the 14 big boards on FanSpeak that have been updated this week, Ed Oliver ranks between number 3 and number 7 on every board.

10 out of the 14 boards have him at the best player available to pick at 9.

One board had Jeffrey Simmons higher, one had both Jeffrey Simmons and Brian Burns higher, one had Jawaan Taylor and the other Dwayne Haskins.

His happy reaction to be picked by Buffalo is priceless. Great to see. All the best to him and the team in 2019. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1