RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

25 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

The school answer was awesome. Not what the parents want to hear but of course it’s the truth. Hard not to like the kid. Welcome to Buffalo Ed!

You'd probably have a hard time finding someone that would prefer to stay in school. Whether it be to pursue a career in the NFL or packaging science. 

3 hours ago, Jeetz1231 said:

He was graded far better at stopping the run vs his pass rushing ability. His pass rush ability went up significantly when he was used as a 3tech vs NT.

Ability was the same. But didn’t have as much  production because of the large amount of NT snaps. I’m fine with the pick but a lot of other DTs had similar/better pass rushing production and advanced stats even from 3tech. 

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

I don’t think that’s true but for an NFL prospect...

Well, it was for me at least. Still finished my degree but took me another 5 years to get around to it. 

I was never a classroom learner though so I guess it depends. 

Wow, I was sitting in my chair, saw Oakland and NY pick and was holding my breath, literally holding my breath.. And then...  I have to admit, the ghosts of old Bills leadership cropped into my head and I knew there was a chance that Beane might disappoint, but alas, nope!  Dude is a baller no matter where you play him, hell, he could line up on the end and be disruptive.  We got the highest ceiling guy in the entire draft both offense and defense, what's not to like?

I don't even care who the Bills select in the next 6 rounds, our defense is set, so much depth, our Offense looks good on paper.. So excited for Septemeber, love me some Bills right now!

Tim-

From the brief interviews, Oliver seems like a decent dude with a good head on his shoulders.   His attitude is contagious.   I think this guy might end up being a productive member of this team for many years.   Hope he doesn't lose that hunger.   Looks like he is going to be fun to watch.

May be meaningless but I had Quinnen Williams just ahead of Oliver before last night. I watched them both at the draft and for some reason QW looked about 5 years younger than Ed. Like a kid vs a man. Anyone else get that impression? Again may be meaningless and QW is a great player and person, I am not knocking him. It just stood out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Pete Prisco 

Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

I thought he was misused at Houston. I think this kid is going to be special at the next level. He is not Aaron Donald, I don't like that comparison. He plays a lot like John Randle and Randle was a Hall of Famer. This kid is going to be a good player for Buffalo. Grade: A

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

May be meaningless but I had Quinnen Williams just ahead of Oliver before last night. I watched them both at the draft and for some reason QW looked about 5 years younger than Ed. Like a kid vs a man. Anyone else get that impression? Again may be meaningless and QW is a great player and person, I am not knocking him. It just stood out. 

Same with Murray. Looks like he just got picked up from the front steps of school and dropped off at the draft. 

Or I'm just getting old. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

BPA doesn't fix a team's problems. In this case, a severe lack of offensive playmakers.

I think they’ve said before that FA is about fixing the teams problems, acquiring need. They made an attempt at picking up playmakers. Two wrs, two rbs and a te. Now I’m not saying that all these players will be big time playmakers but as of right now the offense is in better position than it was last year.  Can’t fix all the problems/holes in one year.   Also, they still have more picks and could even trade back up into the second.

Overall, I am not thrilled by the pick. This is just a gut feeling, NOT an all knowing proclamation!

The jacket incident concerns me just a bit (not a lot).

I am more concerned with the size issue and the fact that because he played against such poor competition he would seem to be untested. I guess this would indicate a low floor but who really knows.

I hope that these initial misgivings are wrong. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!