RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I have concerns, especially related to his ability to stop the run.

Hopefully his pass rush makes up for that.

He was graded far better at stopping the run vs his pass rushing ability. His pass rush ability went up significantly when he was used as a 3tech vs NT.

Sounds like they told Ed in advance he was gonna be the pick.  So no thought of trading back, which is too bad.  I will note, though, that Denver really didn’t get a huge haul for making a pretty big move back.  

I don’t love the pick, but I’m happy they got the guy they were targeting without having to move up.  

Edited by mannc

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'll bet they draft a corner.

I see you're back to you're old ways....?

5 hours ago, DC Tom said:

More seriously...he's fast, with a good burst, but light.  No small chance he gets swallowed up by interior linemen in the pros.  

But on the other hand...between him and Edmunds, the Bills have some freakish athletic talent up the middle of the defense.  If Oliver can use his speed to shed blocks and/or draw double-teams and make Edmunds freer to make plays, the middle of the defense could be very strong.

He weighs 4 lbs more than Aaron Darnold,  NFL.com analyst Chad Reuter notes that Aaron Donald, the biggest star in the game at that position, was even smaller than Oliver with combine measurements of 6-0 3/4 and 285 pounds,

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's a legit concern, given how many of them fell out of the first.

Joe, his strength has been against the run.  You've seen enough football to know that many of the tackles made from Defensive linemen doesnt come mainly when they overpower the offensive linemen, they usually come about either when the D-linemen either uses their quickness, hand technique, strength or a combination of these things.   

Kyle William's didnt make a name for himself by overpowering his opponents, because in fact when linemen did get their paws on him, more often than not he was washed away.  The thing is he used his hand technique, quickness and craftiness to disengage or penetrate behind the line of scrimmage.

That's Oliver's game, hes going to be a nightmare one on one matchup, they will be forced to double team him and that will allow other players to make plays.

The dude is going to make tons of TFL's.  You can bank on it.

It's funny to see some of the usual suspects dismiss the Oliver pick as a "no brainer" that "fell into Beane's lap."  Good luck is typically the result of good preparation.

Yes, once Oliver was on the board at #9 it was an easy decision, but the reason the Bills were prepared is because of their work leading up to the draft and the various mock draft scenarios they played out internally.  They were prepared for whatever happened and did not panic or trade out of the spot, and wound up getting a top 3 overall talent at #9 who happens to be a freaking perfect fit for this team.

If you want to say the Bills got lucky go ahead, but they created their own luck.

• Like (+1) 3

I am very glad. I don't watch college football. I only watched highlights of 10-15 prospects which were in discussion for 

Bills pick. And I liked him most of all. What a dominance! He is always in backfield of opponent! He is spectacular. And I wanted him.

The same story was last year draft. I wanted Josh Allen most of all, because in highlights he threw 60 yards by air. After Fitz and TT struggles I wanted a real canon passer.

The 2nd draft in a row Bills select the player which was 1st on my board!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Never seen a better fit than Ed Oliver to the Bills in 2019. Absolutely perfect. So happy he fell to us! 

This is kind of how I feel. This was a really easy decision. He was, without question, the best player available and at the biggest position of need. A penetrating 3 technique is EXACTLY what this team is lacking. This was a no-brainer if there is such a thing. I couldn’t be happier with the pick!!

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

Worst kept secret in MY LIFETIME.

I think nearly everyone saw this pick coming well before the draft. I was sure he wouldn't make it till #9

Many draft experts (Mel Kiper for one) had Ed Oliver rated #1 just 6 months ago. To get him at ##9 is Grand Theft.

Are the Bills a better team today then yesterday...Yep...no doubt!

Edited by HOUSE