RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The pick is even better than I imagined

Beautiful

42 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Offense.

Like an honest attempt at some weapons for Josh. Who's our TE? would any WR on our team play elsewhere?

Patience.  WR and TE coming tomorrow.  No it won't be a CB at #40.

3 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Get this man 5 custom bench jackets. I don't want no coach taking his jacket. Ed needs his jackets. Sack city babee.

Jerry Hughes is smiling from ear to ear I bet and Tom Brady has soiled his pants.

The top 3 DTs in the draft (likely all blue chippers) will be lined up against him 6 times this season.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Agreed. I posted this in the other draft thread...

Pete Prisco (for what little it's worth):

3 (Jets) Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

I love this pick. I could make a case for Josh Allen as the Jets needed more of a pure pass rusher, but this kid will be dominant. People in the league have compared him to Reggie White, let's slow down a bit on that, but this kid is a dominating player. Grade: A

9 (Bills) Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

I thought he was misused at Houston. I think this kid is going to be special at the next level. He is not Aaron Donald, I don't like that comparison. He plays a lot like John Randle and Randle was a Hall of Famer. This kid is going to be a good player for Buffalo. Grade: A

13 (Dolphins) Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

This is my favorite pick of the entire draft so far. Love this pick. I think this kid is going to be a star. I was all over Grady Jarrett when he was picked and I think Wilkins could be even better. This is a good building block for Brian Flores and his staff. Grade: A+

32 (Patriots) N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State

I watched every one of his games and believe me it pains me to give this a 'C+,' but I just think there were better options. One thing when you look at the Patriots is they don't play fast outside, they needed to get faster. Maybe they expect Josh Gordon to come back at some point, but, for me I would have taken Parris Campbell or one of those guys, a faster, more athletic receiver. I don't love this pick. Grade: C+

Couldn’t agree more with that assessment - I can’t really see the Donald comparison. To that, I would liken Quinnen Williams. That being said, I much prefer the Randle in our D. Watching more of the tape his speed and strength provide an incredible opportunity for mismatches across the line. On early downs he can be effective from the interior and stout against the run as a three tech, however, while he could certainly generate pass rush from the same position I would actually entertain the idea of putting him outside at 5-tech where he can use his bullish speed/power combo to really get in the way of OTs. 

Needless to say I’m stoked about this one. Any one (or dare I say both with a trade up) of Risner/Butler and I’m going to have a hard time waiting for September.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

More seriously...he's fast, with a good burst, but light.  No small chance he gets swallowed up by interior linemen in the pros.  

But on the other hand...between him and Edmunds, the Bills have some freakish athletic talent up the middle of the defense.  If Oliver can use his speed to shed blocks and/or draw double-teams and make Edmunds freer to make plays, the middle of the defense could be very strong.

Middle of the team: Allen/Morse/Oliver/Edmunds. 

Beane just might know what he is doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Jerry Hughes is smiling from ear to ear I bet and Tom Brady has soiled his pants.

The top 3 DTs in the draft (likely all blue chippers) will be lined up against him 6 times this season.

They're all coming after the old man. He better fine tune that quick release.  Mark my words Brady will finally go down with a career ending injury. 

Hate this pick. Undersized nose that we’re going to ask change positions. And he has an attitude problem. Why didn’t we draft a WR and convert him to LBer? Or maybe a safety that we could have converted to a QB?? The possibilities were endless!! What a wasted opportunity.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Hate this pick. Undersized nose that we’re going to ask change positions. And he has an attitude problem. Why didn’t we draft a WR and convert him to LBer? Or maybe a safety that we could have converted to a QB?? The possibilities were endless!! What a wasted opportunity.

He was played at Nose because Houston U is dumb. He is best suited for 3 tech. Thank goodness Houston “ruined” his last year, otherwise the Bills would be looking elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

SI just rated the pick a C.  How stupid to rate a draft 1 hour after a round.

That's incredibly surprising. I'm not sure how anyone, literally anyone, can say something bad about this pick.