RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This had to be expected after Detroit took Hockenson.

We needed interior DL. It was our most pressing defensive need. We filled it.

Awesome.

Expecting Metcalf, Taylor or Irv Smith to be our next pick.

I'll bet they draft a corner.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Jesus give it a rest its not like light DT's have not been successful in the NFL......

Yes and if he was carrying an extra 15 pounds around his belly like some he'd be listed at around 310 and nobody would accuse him of being "light". 

Edited by keepthefaith

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Enh. Are you excited with them?

No and no one should. It was right to take Oliver but it may have been prudent to try to get back up into the end of 1 and get the 2nd best TE or WR in this draft. Maybe Beane did try and he had no takers. We’ll never know. 

But Joe is right no one should be excited about this offense and the Harry pick by NE is  a dagger for me at least. Now it’s time to find a gem in the 2-3rd rounds to help Allen. Please.

5 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I accept them for what they are. Established NFL receivers and one who is a solid 3rd down move the chains player. Combined with Josh should be able to make something happen at least. You sound like all we got is practice squad players. Am I excited? Your damn right I am. GO BILLS!

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

How much are we paying KW to come in and help coach Oliver up?

I think Kyle hangs around for free after hearing this stuff from Ed lol

• Like (+1) 2

Recap on ESPN Sportscenter:

SVP: - Who is the best fit in terms of scheme and talent from this draft?

Booger McFarland: - I like Ed Oliver going to Buffalo. I think when you look at Sean McDermott's defence, you get an Aaron Donald type. Not saying he's Aaron Donald, but if theres anybody in this draft that can do the same things, that can get upfield, that can play over the guard, it is Ed Oliver. Kyle Williams, a very good pass rushing defensive tackle retired, Marcell Dareus got traded away, so Buffalo needed a 3 technique inside McDermott's defence that can get up the field. They got the best one in the field in Ed Oliver.

High praise indeed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Beasley is going to put up numbers underneath,fingers crossed,let's get a OT tommorrow...McGary is gone...can we find a way to get Taylor..AJ could be had ,hopefully in the 4th?

TE..good luck

1 minute ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Recap on ESPN Sportscenter:

SVP: - Who is the best fit in terms of scheme and talent from this draft?

Booger McFarland: - I like Ed Oliver going to Buffalo. I think when you look at Sean McDermott's defence, you get an Aaron Donald type. Not saying he's Aaron Donald, but if theres anybody in this draft that can do the same things, that can get upfield, that can play over the guard, it is Ed Oliver. Kyle Williams, a very good pass rushing defensive tackle retired, Marcell Dareus got traded away, so Buffalo needed a 3 technique inside McDermott's defence that can get up the field. They got the best one in the field in Ed Oliver.

High praise indeed.

SI just rated the pick a C.  How stupid to rate a draft 1 hour after a round.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Nope. 

6’3”. 304 lbs and a DL.  Not a linebacker. 

Check where he played during that infamous 2011.  Johnson was playing OLB because Buffalo didn't have the OLBs to fit their 30 front defense.  https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/9/15/2426871/buffalo-bills-spencer-johnson-alex-carrington

Those were some lean years.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Agreed. I posted this in the other draft thread...

Pete Prisco (for what little it's worth):

3 (Jets) Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

I love this pick. I could make a case for Josh Allen as the Jets needed more of a pure pass rusher, but this kid will be dominant. People in the league have compared him to Reggie White, let's slow down a bit on that, but this kid is a dominating player. Grade: A

9 (Bills) Ed Oliver, DT, Houston

I thought he was misused at Houston. I think this kid is going to be special at the next level. He is not Aaron Donald, I don't like that comparison. He plays a lot like John Randle and Randle was a Hall of Famer. This kid is going to be a good player for Buffalo. Grade: A

13 (Dolphins) Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson

This is my favorite pick of the entire draft so far. Love this pick. I think this kid is going to be a star. I was all over Grady Jarrett when he was picked and I think Wilkins could be even better. This is a good building block for Brian Flores and his staff. Grade: A+

32 (Patriots) N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State

I watched every one of his games and believe me it pains me to give this a 'C+,' but I just think there were better options. One thing when you look at the Patriots is they don't play fast outside, they needed to get faster. Maybe they expect Josh Gordon to come back at some point, but, for me I would have taken Parris Campbell or one of those guys, a faster, more athletic receiver. I don't love this pick. Grade: C+

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I think SI will be an outlier for sure. The Bills got a player at a position of need and at value that at worst was appropriate. Some people even had Ed Oliver as the third best player in the draft or in the top 5. Overall I think most will grade this pick highly. I for sure am happy this was my best case scenario.