RD 1, Pick 9: DT Ed Oliver, University of Houston

SDS

Oliver was thought of as the top player in the draft before the season started. It’s a great outcome. Very happy Beane didn’t panic and let the board come to him. 

• Like (+1) 7

@SalSports

Good stuff from Brandon Beane. Said in all their mocks, never had Oliver falling to them if only 1 QB was taken in top 8, had him sometimes falling if 2 QBs were taken. Was usually there if 3 QBs. Also said they thought a team could trade to 8 and take him once he got there.

Just now, jkeerie said:

Likely when the Jags saw Allan fall, they stood pat.  I also think the Bills had opportunity to trade back (based on what Shefter said on ESPN) but when Oliver fell, they didn't want to move.

Very well possible.  I wouldn't have trade back if I were them

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You try to get stars in round 1.  This kid could be one.  Good job, and thanks to the Raiders for continuing their tradition of screwing things up.

Agreed.

So, are we done for the night? Beane/McD jawing with the press means no ones on the phone..

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m excited about having a player on defense with a little nastiness. Does anyone think his size will be an issue? I didn’t watch a lot of him in college. I heard today they used him as a NT in a 3-4 this year and it caused him have an understandable drop off in production. Will he be big enough to play an effective 3 tech in the nfl?

he looks a lot like Aaron Donald to me. Not super big but thick with great quickness and great first step.

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Made complete sense based on how the board was falling.  Let’s hope he is the next Darned LD which is asking a lot.  I agree with a couple of earlier posters we don’t need 9 more guys after acquiring 17 in free agency.  Package some to get more talented guys.

As Al Davis used to say “Just win baby”.

17 or 19?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-nfl-free-agency-2019/2019/3/7/18254679/buffalo-bills-2019-free-agent-rumor-signing-tracker-news-contract-trade-ziggy-ansah-antonio-brown

Regardless, could be the craziest offseason in Bills history!

19 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Now if we only had any playmakers on offense.

I’m with you on the need for a real playmaker on offense; however, I think Oliver was the right pick at 9. I think Beane is going to try to to find that playmaker late in the 1st / early 2nd - or maybe even through a trade. 

Just now, Fixxxer said:

he looks a lot like Aaron Donald to me. Not super big but thick with great quickness and great first step.

Interesting.  At first I was going to say you are nuts. But then I checked the stats. Their listed weights are the same.  Oliver is 2 inches taller.  Donald looks much thicker that Oliver especially in the shoulders and arms.  Somehow I think Oliver is closer to 270-275 when playing but bulked up for the combine and Donald is closer to 295 now.

But if Oliver is 3/4th the player DOnlad is he will be a force.