NFL Draft - Day 1 (put your general pick commentary here)

Happy with the way the 1st round evolved. We filled I think our most immediate and pressing need on defense with Oliver. You can really tell he's really a McDermott guy in terms of character.

I really wanted Hockenson, but obviously we weren't given the chance to get him.

I expect Smith, Metcalf, or Taylor with our 1st pick in the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I guess this is the part where we freak out because the Patriots drafted a receiver. Who was their last 1st round draft pick to make a big difference?

Receivers have always taken time to develop as well. Even if he becomes a great one, it’s possible Brady will be gone by that time. 

The DK hype and Harry ‘skill’ are analysts and fans moving to fantasy footballs DK gets hyped because maybe he can put up a ton of points. NK gets pushed down by pundits because he’ll jusr be consistently productive.

I will say, with the way the draft fell, I thought for sure NH would fall to the second. Would be worth a trade up into the 33-38 range for him. Didn’t think the Pats would take him at 32. 

Jawaan Taylor

Cody Ford

Greedy Williams 

Byron Murphy

DK Metcalf

I'm pretty shocked that none of these players went in the 1st round.

I think they will be gone before the Bills draft.  

Just now, HappyDays said:

Jawaan Taylor

Cody Ford

Greedy Williams 

Byron Murphy

DK Metcalf

Taylor’s medical must be really grim.

metcalf’s deficiencies are well known after the combine.

Greedy’s always been sketchy in general.

the other 2 i agree.

Jawaan Taylor

Cody Ford

Greedy Williams 

Byron Murphy

DK Metcalf

Throw in the WRs that are still available and we can be pretty confident that the Bills are going to be getting an impact player tomorrow at 40.  The board fell about as well as it could have for the Bills tonight.  Ready to see what tomorrow brings.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Happy with the way the 1st round evolved. We filled I think our most immediate and pressing need on defense with Oliver. You can really tell he's really a McDermott guy in terms of character.

I really wanted Hockenson, but obviously we weren't given the chance to get him.

I expect Smith, Metcalf, or Taylor with our 1st pick in the 2nd round.

I really like the Oliver pick, but am hoping they are able to pickup a good TE prospect later that can both catch and block. 

I feel like the Bills have not had an offense that featured an impact TE for 20+ years - time to join the rest of the better offenses in the league who seem to have a clue about how to take advantage of that skill position.

16 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I don't care about how they're rated. Just glad Bills didn't force getting a TE. I mean maybe it's subjective given the QB and the OC but that's always been my point. The QB needs to be TE friendly the OC needs to get the TE involved. It rarely happens to be incredibly effective.

Edge rushers are easier. Subjective? Maybe, but 2 10 sack (good DE #s) seasons from your 2 edge rushers is huge whereas 2 600 yard, 5TD seasons from your TE's (good TE #s) is.. pedestrian.

Maybe there's no great example of a college team with top 2 impactful players in other positions.. I just witnessed a case study where top 2 TE's didn't work.

TE production is too easy to replace. JMO. Citing Iowa. And thinking of so many other highly rated TEs.

My original post was supposed to be read as a "super sick burn" on teams going Hockenson and Fant. Call it a hot take. But I predict the Bills and the teams drafting BPA after Fant are going to get much more impactful players than the Hockenson and Fant teams. Just like OJ Howard, Kellen Winslow II, Jeremy Shockey, Jermaine Gresham, Eric Ebron, or Vernon Davis. Heck I value RBs over TE. Most any position.

I'll bet my Flutie Flakes Cole Beasley is a more productive safety valve than Fant.

I rated Hockenson much higher than Fant because he catches everything, athletic enough to beat coverage (check the cone and shuttle drills), was awarded the Mackey award as the top TE in the nation (first time to a sophomore), declared early so still has room to grow, but was also a well above average blocker in just his first full year. So it would be like having an extra o-lineman to in pass-pro or to open holes for your RB, who could also beat LBs, S, and DBs for passes.

Fant may develop into that all around TE and he is clearly the more freakish athlete, but the drops and subpar blocking left me leary and BTW they were rarely used on the field together which gave Hawkeye fans fits with how Ferentz was using them. 

I did not have any other TE's graded in the 1st, and if we pick up one later I don't want just an over-sized WR, I want a guy who has at least the foundation for becoming an effective blocker too. I had Oliver going to the Bills even if Hockenson was available.