Nevermind trade "value"

If we move up for a can't miss prospect, say to #3, who complains? A lot is my guess. I tell you why I disagree...

Frank Clark cost a 1st, a 2nd, and 17 million a year. My line of thinking is, why not spend 2 1sts, and pay an elite talent about 8-10 million a year instead? Wth is the difference? We build the foundation thru the draft, and use the saved cash to supplement our team over the next few years. To me, its just as sound a philosophy as much as the line of thought of holding onto "valuable" draft commodity. The voices tell me I'm not completely crazy. Should I listen to them? What are your thoughts??

8 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

If we move up for a can't miss prospect, say to #3, who complains? A lot is my guess. I tell you why I disagree...

Frank Clark cost a 1st, a 2nd, and 17 million a year. My line of thinking is, why not spend 2 1sts, and pay an elite talent about 8-10 million a year instead? Wth is the difference? We build the foundation thru the draft, and use the saved cash to supplement our team over the next few years. To me, its just as sound a philosophy as much as the line of thought of holding onto "valuable" draft commodity. The voices tell me I'm not completely crazy. Should I listen to them? What are your thoughts??

Are we getting Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack? The only time it sucks is when it doesn't work, also are we a player away from the SB if the staff thinks yes then go for it.

• Like (+1) 2

Trade "value" is an average of the draft trades made in the past-it has nothing to do with the gain or loss from any trade being made. Whoever wants the trade more than the other team is gonna have to up the ante.

28 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Are we getting Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack? The only time it sucks is when it doesn't work, also are we a player away from the SB if the staff thinks yes then go for it.

The point is, with a competent FO, I'd rather add Q Will after a trade up, to secure a stud at all 3 levels of the D, all on cheap deals, than add a 17 million a year player at a similar cost. Then turn around and spend that saved cash to fill out the roster. The same needs done on Offense no doubt, but price seems to be an afterthought so long as the pick is the correct one. Build thru the draft, as has been stated many times by McBeane, and use the extra cash to pick up the Hyde, Poyer, and similar players to balance the roster. I am not opposed to tradeing up for Q Will at the cost of next years first

52 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

your post is very unclear how we can be sure that can't miss guy does not miss.

Clark only cost a 1st and 2nd.

1 hour ago, BuffAlone said:

Yeah new way to try and talk yourself into a disastrous trade to 3rd for a DT in a Deep DT draft. 

So you “Value” giving up multiple 1st for a DT but Beane didn’t place same “value” on the QB. 

That interpretation of “Value” should be very concerning then. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Ummm... so then the Dareus contract was 2 albatrosses or 3? And is more than 1 albatri? 

I don’t see your point. 

At least Dareus is a decent player.

star is our highest paid player this year and we used a 3rd on a DT last draft and signed a former 2nd Rd pick yet for somehow DT is a need. Maybe because star is not good and his contract is atrocious. I’d rather have Dareus for 14 mil next couple years than star for 10. We have the cap space. 

This just isn’t the year, if Allen shows improvement and can make a run for the playoffs with his new weapons next offseason is the go all in Super Bowl run. 

This year is still getting the foundation pieces in place and I can’t see Beane flying up the draft board for a lineman. 

Teams 99% of the time don’t jump high for defense 

Edited by Rc2catch

25 minutes ago, cba fan said:

your post is very unclear how we can be sure that can't miss guy does not miss.

Clark only cost a 1st and 2nd.

Ssorry for the confusion. What I'm saying is, what is the better philosophy? Drafting Q Will, at the price of two 1st rd picks, and a rookie contract price, or trade a 1st and 2nd rd pick, and 17 mil a year for Frank Clark?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I don’t see your point. 

At least Dareus is a decent player.

star is our highest paid player this year and we used a 3rd on a DT last draft and signed a former 2nd Rd pick yet for somehow DT is a need. Maybe because star is not good and his contract is atrocious. I’d rather have Dareus for 14 mil next couple years than star for 10. We have the cap space. 

Nah. Talk to players and coaches who are quoted for lauding Star’s work.

He’s 90% the player Dareus WAS at half the price.

And Dareus has mailed it in to the point he’s barely an nfl starter at this point. 

Total non topic.