PanchoBilla enters Hospice (Has now passed away)

mead107

On 4/26/2019 at 2:25 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This has probably been posted elsewhere already, but wanted to link to the go fund me for Pancho & his family that was set up by the Houston Bills Backers:

https://www.gofundme.com/pancho-power

If this isn't a good cause, I don't know what is. We open our wallets everyday for inconsequential things, this one would mean something.  

Bump 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/30/2019 at 7:58 PM, Rhode Island Red said:

I’m amazed that this board hasn’t exploded this go fund me campaign. 

$45K in 16 months?

am I missing something here?  

A few days ago when I saw that he was going into hospice, I dug up the  link from the first page, and donated my pittance.  Kind of did it in a hurry, and didn’t really look at the numbers, just assumed that this would be at least the equivalent of the Andy Dalton charity thing, or perhaps an even bigger blockbuster. Checked back today to see how he’s doing, and then thought of checking out the fund more carefully...and was a little disappointed, I guess. 

So why didn’t you give more money?

On 5/1/2019 at 4:56 PM, bbb said:

Actually, it's for his kids' education, I think...................Next time I see a link, I'm going to give something.  

It's been made clear that all fundraising on this board goes through SDS, he has to clear it. 

But why wait to see a link, go to GoFundMe and search for Pancho Billa. 

• Like (+1) 3

"PANCHO UPDATE: Today (Sunday) I was able to visit with Ezra in the hospital. Contrary to what Ezra and Ronnie wanted, it was a mutual decision to remain in the hospital hospice care. Unfortunately, home hospice wouldn't be 24/7 which is what he needs as his lungs heal.

His spirits are AWESOME as always, Between the medicine he's taking and the machine he's hooked up on, he's getting oxygen to the blood and brain. It's just going to be time before his lungs can heal and then begin his cancer treatment again.

Ezra appreciates all the love and prayers (and the wings & loganberry I brought him today). He also appreciates and welcomes visitors, just please be mindful that he does need to rest."

https://wyrk.com/send-a-card-to-bills-superfan-pancho-villa-as-he-battles-cancer/

Cards can be sent to:

UT Southwestern Clements
6201 Harry Hines Blvd
Room 1139
Dallas, TX 75235

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/5/2019 at 12:49 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Bump 

On 5/5/2019 at 1:16 PM, bbb said:

Thanks for bumping the link!  

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's been made clear that all fundraising on this board goes through SDS, he has to clear it. 

But why wait to see a link, go to GoFundMe and search for Pancho Billa. 

Because I knew I'd see the link again, and I didn't know where to look............I gave when I saw the link. 

On 5/6/2019 at 3:46 PM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

"PANCHO UPDATE: Today (Sunday) I was able to visit with Ezra in the hospital. Contrary to what Ezra and Ronnie wanted, it was a mutual decision to remain in the hospital hospice care. Unfortunately, home hospice wouldn't be 24/7 which is what he needs as his lungs heal.

His spirits are AWESOME as always, Between the medicine he's taking and the machine he's hooked up on, he's getting oxygen to the blood and brain. It's just going to be time before his lungs can heal and then begin his cancer treatment again.

Ezra appreciates all the love and prayers (and the wings & loganberry I brought him today). He also appreciates and welcomes visitors, just please be mindful that he does need to rest."

https://wyrk.com/send-a-card-to-bills-superfan-pancho-villa-as-he-battles-cancer/

Cards can be sent to:

UT Southwestern Clements
6201 Harry Hines Blvd
Room 1139
Dallas, TX 75235

I am confused.  I am very much hoping that there is a path to recovery for Pancho but that is not how hospice is designed.  If the belief is that he can recover from his current respiratory issues and resume cancer treatments, then that sounds more like palliative care. Either way, best wishes to the #1 Bills fan.

1 hour ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I am confused.  I am very much hoping that there is a path to recovery for Pancho but that is not how hospice is designed.  If the belief is that he can recover from his current respiratory issues and resume cancer treatments, then that sounds more like palliative care. Either way, best wishes to the #1 Bills fan.

Some people leave hospice care. It is not, as someone posted earlier, always a last place to receive care, although it can be. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Some people leave hospice care. It is not, as someone posted earlier, always a last place to receive care, although it can be. 

Right.  I have a lot of professional and personal experience with hospice and have known quite a few who have left hospice.  It is definitely not a decision that is set in stone.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I believe, if I’m not mistaken, that’s both an old update and also simply posted by a well meaning friend. I wouldn’t hang on every word of it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I believe, if I’m not mistaken, that’s both an old update and also simply posted by a well meaning friend. I wouldn’t hang on every word of it.

Thanks for this. It is on at least 2 Bills boards so I am probably not the only one who interpreted this as a classic hospice referral.  I hope it is, in fact, a step on the road to recovery.

3 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

At least in Rochester, hospice is comfort care only. A nurse and possibly a social worker determines if you qualify. Initial term is 3 months, after which there is another evaluation, and another one every month after. Once it is determined that the patient is improving, they no longer qualify. My father actually was on in home hospice 5 different times between the ages of 97 and 100. Palliative care does allow for some level of medical intervention.

54 minutes ago, Steve O said:

At least in Rochester, hospice is comfort care only. A nurse and possibly a social worker determines if you qualify. Initial term is 3 months, after which there is another evaluation, and another one every month after. Once it is determined that the patient is improving, they no longer qualify. My father actually was on in home hospice 5 different times between the ages of 97 and 100. Palliative care does allow for some level of medical intervention.

same in IL.

Once in hospice patient is weened off all meds except pain meds. 

Death follows very soon for those on critical meds.

From what has been written. It appears Billa had to go hospice because he needed 24/7 care due to chemo compromised his lungs. If his lungs improve he may go off hospice and return to chemo. This would be a miracle in itself. I hope he becomes a hospice survivor. ??

• Like (+1) 5

50 minutes ago, cba fan said:

same in IL.

Once in hospice patient is weened off all meds except pain meds. 

Death follows very soon for those on critical meds.

From what has been written. It appears Billa had to go hospice because he needed 24/7 care due to chemo compromised his lungs. If his lungs improve he may go off hospice and return to chemo. This would be a miracle in itself. I hope he becomes a hospice survivor. ??

this is how I interpreted the update. hopes are they may (lungs) heal enough to leave hospice?

Fan petition urges Bills to sign Pancho Billa to one-day contract

McCoy-Sports-Bills-pre-11-1260x800.jpg

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/12/fan-petition-urges-bills-to-sign-pancho-billa-to-one-day-contract/

The one-day contract has gained in popularity in recent years for teams to honor longtime players who wish to officially retire with a particular team. For example, Buffalo running back Fred Jackson signed a one-day contract in April 2018 to retire with the Bills.

Pancho Billa, whose real name is Ezra Castro, is in hospice care in Houston for cancer that began with a mass around his spine and spread into other organs, including his liver and lungs.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 4