David Sills V - Keep an eye on him if Bills dont draft WR early. edit: signed as UDFA!

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I started this thread before the draft because I had a strong feeling he would be someone Beane and McD would really like going into the draft.  Obviously they signed him as an UDFA, and now in Embedded we got to see just how bad they wanted him and had actually almost drafted him in multiple rounds.  

Looking forward to seeing how he does in camp and preseason.  Given how in demand he was after the draft and how bad we wanted him, makes me wonder if they would risk trying to sneak him onto the PS, could give him a little more of an edge to make the roster over some of the other guys he will be competing with to grab one of those last roster spots.  

Just want to point out that he and Easley seemed terrible at basketball, then Beasley comes in, shows them up real quick and runs out, I got a good laugh lol

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Just want to point out that he and Easley seemed terrible at basketball, then Beasley comes in, shows them up real quick and runs out, I got a good laugh lol

Hahaha yeah that was pretty funny.  Cole was raining on them from everywhere hahaha.  

• Haha (+1) 1

I started this thread before the draft because I had a strong feeling he would be someone Beane and McD would really like going into the draft.  Obviously they signed him as an UDFA, and now in Embedded we got to see just how bad they wanted him and had actually almost drafted him in multiple rounds.  

Looking forward to seeing how he does in camp and preseason.  Given how in demand he was after the draft and how bad we wanted him, makes me wonder if they would risk trying to sneak him onto the PS, could give him a little more of an edge to make the roster over some of the other guys he will be competing with to grab one of those last roster spots.  

It's going to be a tough battle for the 6th spot...

Jury's still out on whether that's a good thing or not.  Just sayin'.

1 minute ago, TPS said:

It's going to be a tough battle for the 6th spot...

Really is and what will also be interesting to watch is the pecking order develop too.  Only Cole and Roberts are locked into a role really.  So watching how the depth chart starts to shake out at the top will be fun to watch too!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Big C said:

I mean, if they really wanted him they probably would have drafted him over Sweeney. But hey if Sills can be another Foster I ain't gonna question their methods. 

Thats what I didnt get. They had Barkley and Allen call him, McD got on the phone too. They acted like he was this incredible get but I kept thinking why didnt you just draft him? I guess its all good in the end since we got him anyway but could saved some headache and had him in the 7th

36 minutes ago, Big C said:

I mean, if they really wanted him they probably would have drafted him over Sweeney. But hey if Sills can be another Foster I ain't gonna question their methods. 

The draft is such a dynamic process...lots of things happening at once.  As soon as you get to the 6th and 7th rounds I'm sure it's a constant analysis of who you believe you need to draft vs. who you believe you can sign as an UDFA.

Clearly the Bills like Sills' potential, but it's just clear they didn't like it enough to pass up any of the other guys they selected.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, jletha said:

Thats what I didnt get. They had Barkley and Allen call him, McD got on the phone too. They acted like he was this incredible get but I kept thinking why didnt you just draft him? I guess its all good in the end since we got him anyway but could saved some headache and had him in the 7th

I will tell you why, and its not really me saying it, its what Beane said and what most coaches do as well.

Once you get into the later rounds starting around the 5th, but especially in the 6th and 7th rounds, teams are looking for guys who will make the team, primarily at ST.  Their ST potential is a higher priority that their primary position.  Beane even said this himself post draft, and David Sills V was a QB most of his life, so not only was his WR experience limited to a little over 2 seasons of college football, but he had no ST experience really.  

Doesn't mean every guy taken from the 5th round on was only taken for ST contributions, but those last 3 rounds its a major priority and ideally you can grab a guy who has potential at his natural position too and also has a strong chance to be make the team for ST purposes too.  

Sills was not the only WR who was expected to be a mid round pick go undrafted this year, this was a REALLY deep class once you got out of the early rounds of this draft.  Teams start looking for specific types/needs for fit and guys who can contribute on ST. 

17 minutes ago, eball said:

The draft is such a dynamic process...lots of things happening at once.  As soon as you get to the 6th and 7th rounds I'm sure it's a constant analysis of who you believe you need to draft vs. who you believe you can sign as an UDFA.

Clearly the Bills like Sills' potential, but it's just clear they didn't like it enough to pass up any of the other guys they selected.

True and Beane stated his picks over the late rounds were specifically looking to upgrade ST.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Sills was not the only WR who was expected to be a mid round pick go undrafted this year, this was a REALLY deep class once you got out of the early rounds of this draft.  Teams start looking for specific types/needs for fit and guys who can contribute on ST.   

Indeed - but ultimately they chose, for whatever reasons to go with a developmental TE and a developmental pass rusher ahead of Sills. I always thought Sills was a 5th round or later guy - I was surprised he went undrafted, happy the Bills picked him up as an UDFA. But while they nearly picked him a couple of times on day 3, they didn't. They did infer in the show that if it wasn't Sills it wouldn't have been anyone - they were not just going to sign a UDFA receiver for the sake of signing one. They clearly like the kid and will give him a chance. But he has to make an impact early in camp I think to have a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

I had a feeling the OP would go overboard with the video. They were going after all those UDFA's and just decided to do it on Sills b.c he wasn't deciding fast enough

This is a cool story.    Did you pay 5.99 and see this part on the extra scenes package ?

Edited by Teddy KGB