David Sills V - Keep an eye on him if Bills dont draft WR early. edit: signed as UDFA!

5 hours ago, CountryCletus said:

He’s more raw than Foster was last year, and Foster didn’t originally make the 53 in a weaker WR room. Sills is going to need time to develop, whether it’s 2 months or 2 years.... I just don’t see him making the roster yet. Trying to stash him on the PS will only give every other team in the league the opportunity to sign him.  I suppose he can make the team if Williams shows no changes in character off the field...

This is fine

Good for him there is actually 3 pass catching targets directly in front of him (not counting Zay)

Its a different situation this year.

I was watching West Virginia vs Texas Tech last night on ESPN U. One of the things that I was surprised at watching Sill exclusively is how he blocked down field. He was pesky and pissing defenders off. I didn't see him struggling to get off press. I thought his initial steps and movements were okay, but need refinement, but he's a fun guy to watch. He goes up to get the ball and contorts his body to make good catches. He didn't get the ball a ton in this game, so I did enjoy watching him do some dirty work. You can tell how much he loves the game and loves his teammates as he wasn't getting many touches but ran his routes hard and was constantly congratulating his teammates. He also seems like a bit of a trash talker like Josh Allen. He honestly reminded me of Robert Woods a bit with the way he plays. I don't know if he makes it, but I like his game. A lot of people see tall, skinny, former quarterback and assume the guy can't play. This guy can ball. He has a chance. 

• Like (+1) 5

On 4/25/2019 at 4:59 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Except Lebron was actually generational at his position lol

i kid ... I think he is a old school football player who can make an impact ... round 4 I say yes

...so then when "Lebron" runs routes, do we say he's "traveling" and get hit with a 15 yarder?....just askin'.....

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so then when "Lebron" runs routes, do we say he's "traveling" and get hit with a 15 yarder?....just askin'.....

It’s funny , Lebron  wasn’t even a prodigy at 12-13... he came onto the stage big at the abcd camp going into his JR year where he knocked off #1 player Lenny Cooke who was thought of as “the next big thing”

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 5:20 PM, Buffalo716 said:

It’s funny , Lebron  wasn’t even a prodigy at 12-13... he came onto the stage big at the abcd camp going into his JR year where he knocked off #1 player Lenny Cooke who was thought of as “the next big thing”

I mean maybe thats when SI and other national publications came onto James, but his high school prep team had to play home games at U of Akron arena because of ticket demands to see him play as a freshman, so he was indeed a prodigy, maybe not at 12 lol, but who is? 

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Haven’t we learned our lesson around here about being excited about an UDFA WR?

We are fans and this is the kind of stuff we get excited about this time of year! We prefer to postpone our likely disappointment until later in the season. However, you can feel free to start feeling disappointed now if you like.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Lol the meltdown will be priceless though if him or some of the board draft gurus favorites get cut and are claimed by another team. We have multiple Reily loved kind of players this offseason. 

Not knocking Sills he has some potential but all 32 teams know something we didn’t that’s why he wasn’t drafted and his chances of making the team are very slim. 

24 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

There is just something about UDFA WRs man.  Guys that aren't even worth a draft pick somehow become mortal locks to make the team.  

Who doesn' t like to root for the underdog!? That's what buffalo is all about. Sure he prob doesn't make it, but if he does, he will instantly be a fan favorite.

43 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Not for nothing but we just had an UDFA WR last year who was widely mocked in the 1st Round of various "NFL Re-Drafts" that followed the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 4/29/2019 at 10:04 AM, CountryCletus said:

He’s more raw than Foster was last year, and Foster didn’t originally make the 53 in a weaker WR room. Sills is going to need time to develop, whether it’s 2 months or 2 years.... I just don’t see him making the roster yet. Trying to stash him on the PS will only give every other team in the league the opportunity to sign him.  I suppose he can make the team if Williams shows no changes in character off the field...

Foster made the 53 last year. 

He was cut after Game 6 and re-signed for Game 10

• Like (+1) 1

The lazy thing to do is to compare Sills to Reilly. I get it, they are tall, white, and UDFAs. 

In Reilly's 4 year career (just 28 games-various injuries and DUI ) at Nebraska, he had 70 catches, 1275 yards, 6 touchdowns. He was a shot in the dark upside play. He was going to be an UDFA regardless. 

In Sills' 3 year career (also 28 games) at West Virginia, he had 132 catches, 2097 yards, 35 touchdowns. He did all this as a former quarterback who didn't really know what he was doing. This is a highly productive receiver who needs refinement, but displayed many of the skills that you need to succeed in the NFL. Most draft people had him high in the fourth, and no one would have batted an eye if he went in the late third. I'm not sure why he didn't go drafted, I'm guessing all of the other recievers being pushed down the board pushed him out, but this isn't your run of the mill UDFA. 

Just my 2 cents.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Factually this might not check out, but it seems to me that WR is the psosition that has the most UDFA success stories... maybe that’s just cause they’re more “sexy” than OL success, but there always seems to be a couple a year who do well, and even some who play well over an extended time.

all that to say, this is the season of optimism. 

Doug Baldwin just retired after being one of the better slot receivers in the game for several years.

Adam Theilan is a top 5 WR right now.

Julian Edelman is a mega-douche, but just won Super Bowl MVP (granted, he was drafted in the 7th) 

Wes Walker will be enshrined in the HOF in the next 10 years. 

Right now two of our top 4 WR’s are UDFA’s.

Now, does any of this mean that Sills will be a stud, or even make the team? Nah. But it makes it interesting. ? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/5/1/18520669/nfl-undrafted-free-agents-signings-new-team-best-fit

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Foster made the 53 last year. 

He was cut after Game 6 and re-signed for Game 10

Foster is one of my favorites cause he showed incredible resiliency last year. I was high on him going into camp, then it became obvious that he wasn’t mentally able to adjust to the game and I wanted nothing to do with him. I was pleasantly surprised when he came back and made thigs happen. I think he’s quite boom or bust this year. Either he’ll blow it up and be a number 1, or he’ll fade into mediocrity and that’ll be that. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2