David Sills V - Keep an eye on him if Bills dont draft WR early. edit: signed as UDFA!

20 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Who doesn' t like to root for the underdog!? That's what buffalo is all about. Sure he prob doesn't make it, but if he does, he will instantly be a fan favorite.

For sure! I'd be through the roof if he made it. 

My comment was more about the presumption of his success and the suggestion we should drop one or two year starters to make room for Sills.  People have literally suggested Zay may not make the team because of Sills.  That is obviously silly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

My comment was more about the presumption of his success and the suggestion we should drop one or two year starters to make room for Sills.  People have literally suggested Zay may not make the team because of Sills.  That is obviously silly. 

i think most people are projecting out a few years- Sills spends a year on practice squad and then makes it next year as our 6th reciever and then gets better. he has only been a reciever for 3 years i believe.

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Not true at all.  You have consistently misunderstood my Zay Jones thread and twisted things to mean things they don’t actually mean.  No one ever said Zay “won’t make the team”, and certainly didn’t say he won’t because of Sills.

What was said is that Zays position on the depth chart is not a given and will face steep competiton and as a result could fall down the depth chart because of Brown, Foster, and Cole and see pressure maybe even from Duke.  For that reason, Beane may try and recoup value for Zay if he’s slid to WR4 or lower on depth chart.  Additionally, if Sills shows upside and they want to keep him, it would make it easier to trade Zay because we are talking about Sills being a WR5 at that point and it’s not remotely crazy to suggest an UDFA can be a decent WR5, especially if it’s one that brings something like being a big target with great hands.

You keep twisting it and way over exaggerating peoples interest in Sills.  All everyone has ever said is that he is a interesting guy to watch who could surprise and for that challenge for a roster spot.  You’re forming your own narrative to somehow make that mean Bills will specifically cut Zay (something no one is really saying) for Sills...again something no one has said.

Just don’t understand why people here have to always grossly exaggerate things like this.

On 5/14/2019 at 1:09 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

Not true at all.  You have consistently misunderstood my Zay Jones thread and twisted things to mean things they don’t actually mean.  No one ever said Zay “won’t make the team”, and certainly didn’t say he won’t because of Sills.

What was said is that Zays position on the depth chart is not a given and will face steep competiton and as a result could fall down the depth chart because of Brown, Foster, and Cole and see pressure maybe even from Duke.  For that reason, Beane may try and recoup value for Zay if he’s slid to WR4 or lower on depth chart.  Additionally, if Sills shows upside and they want to keep him, it would make it easier to trade Zay because we are talking about Sills being a WR5 at that point and it’s not remotely crazy to suggest an UDFA can be a decent WR5, especially if it’s one that brings something like being a big target with great hands.

You keep twisting it and way over exaggerating peoples interest in Sills.  All everyone has ever said is that he is a interesting guy to watch who could surprise and for that challenge for a roster spot.  You’re forming your own narrative to somehow make that mean Bills will specifically cut Zay (something no one is really saying) for Sills...again something no one has said.

Just don’t understand why people here have to always grossly exaggerate things like this.

For what its worth, I didn't have you in mind when I said this.  I actually even considered adding a parenthetical, but because this wasn't your Zay Jones thread I didn't.  You were not the one that said this, but it was said. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

I mean maybe thats when SI and other national publications came onto James, but his high school prep team had to play home games at U of Akron arena because of ticket demands to see him play as a freshman, so he was indeed a prodigy, maybe not at 12 lol, but who is? 

I’m not trying to knock James . He is a beast 

and they didnt move to Akron arena till his JR year... not his freshmen 

that was when he became the heir apparent to Jordan. Even tho he did win Ohio mr basketball as sophomore 

He was definitely always a prodigy i will agree

This is a 10 segment on WGR with a WVU analyst talking about David Sills. It's not surprising that his report on him was glowing. He also made a comment about Ford at the end of the interview. Without a doubt Sills fits the McDermott mold. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/05-14-dale-wolfley-west-virginia-radio-network-howard-simon-david-sills

Sills V will be #2 receiver a few years from now here... Could push foster for #1

On 4/28/2019 at 4:04 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Why so serious?!?!?!?! 

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The lazy thing to do is to compare Sills to Reilly. I get it, they are tall, white, and UDFAs. 

In Reilly's 4 year career (just 28 games-various injuries and DUI ) at Nebraska, he had 70 catches, 1275 yards, 6 touchdowns. He was a shot in the dark upside play. He was going to be an UDFA regardless. 

In Sills' 3 year career (also 28 games) at West Virginia, he had 132 catches, 2097 yards, 35 touchdowns. He did all this as a former quarterback who didn't really know what he was doing. This is a highly productive receiver who needs refinement, but displayed many of the skills that you need to succeed in the NFL. Most draft people had him high in the fourth, and no one would have batted an eye if he went in the late third. I'm not sure why he didn't go drafted, I'm guessing all of the other recievers being pushed down the board pushed him out, but this isn't your run of the mill UDFA. 

Just my 2 cents.  

Garbage comparison in my opinion...

11 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

For what its worth, I didn't have you in mind when I said this.  I actually even considered adding a partenthetical, but because this wasn't your Zay Jones thread I didn't.  You were not the one that said this, but it was said. 

All good, the way you worded it I thought you were referencing me because I both started this thread and the thread pertaining to the debate about Zay.  

If people did actually say that, then its foolish for them to just claim Zay will be gone because of Sills.  The reality is that Zay controls his own destiny.  He needs to go to camp and preseason and show he is capable of being a reliable and effective player in this offense.  That being said, Sills shouldn't be over looked as a guy who could challenge to make the 53 man roster, but its far from certain.  

Honestly stoked to see this WR group compete this camp and preseason...all of them.  No one is locked in anywhere except Cole in the slot...and likely Roberts as a KR.  

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:14 PM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

For what its worth, I didn't have you in mind when I said this.  I actually even considered adding a partenthetical, but because this wasn't your Zay Jones thread I didn't.  You were not the one that said this, but it was said. 

I'm sorry, but I believe that there are rules for using fancy words like that. People won't get the true meaning of your thread and that just leads to chaos!! And we can't have that here!!!

36 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I'm sorry, but I believe that there are rules for using fancy words like that. People won't get the true meaning of your thread and that just leads to chaos!! And we can't have that here!!!

I didn't realize I spelled it wrong until you quoted it.  That is gonna bug me for the rest of the day. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Sills is competing with Williams for a spot on the 53 man-roster. They both fall in the "big target" box and we absolutely need one of those for our red zone offense. Loser goes to the PS. The pre-season will be interesting this year! 

50 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Sills is competing with Williams for a spot on the 53 man-roster. They both fall in the "big target" box and we absolutely need one of those for our red zone offense. Loser goes to the PS. The pre-season will be interesting this year! 

Sills V wins every Thunder Dome competition period

On 5/14/2019 at 8:17 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

The lazy thing to do is to compare Sills to Reilly. I get it, they are tall, white, and UDFAs. 

In Reilly's 4 year career (just 28 games-various injuries and DUI ) at Nebraska, he had 70 catches, 1275 yards, 6 touchdowns. He was a shot in the dark upside play. He was going to be an UDFA regardless. 

In Sills' 3 year career (also 28 games) at West Virginia, he had 132 catches, 2097 yards, 35 touchdowns. He did all this as a former quarterback who didn't really know what he was doing. This is a highly productive receiver who needs refinement, but displayed many of the skills that you need to succeed in the NFL. Most draft people had him high in the fourth, and no one would have batted an eye if he went in the late third. I'm not sure why he didn't go drafted, I'm guessing all of the other recievers being pushed down the board pushed him out, but this isn't your run of the mill UDFA. 

Just my 2 cents.  

All of that. If the season started today, Sills would be the best Red Zone weapon on the field.

12 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

I don't really think that's accurate. They have widely different skillsets. It's true they're both competing for a spot, but I think they serve drastically different roles.

I went back and watch some Senior Bowl practices that were on my DVR. I have to say that I was impressed with the work Sills was doing in one on ones, especially in the red zone portion of practice. And he was beating guys like Lonnie Johnson. During team portions he ran some great routes and found open pockets in zones, quarterback (I think it was Minshew) didn't target him too much.  I am going to go back and rewatch the game and watch Sweeney and Sills specifically. On a side note, everybody on the broadcast had some really good things to say about Sweeney and Charles Davis compared him to Mark Andrews. They seemed to like Sweeney a lot more than Drew Sample who went in the second round. Perhaps' Sweeney's slow combine time skewed scores on him. One other note, but that Deebo Samuel guy is going to be good. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I predict Nick Easley outplays Sills.  One has had zero hype on this board while the other has been given the kiss of death with ridiculous expectations.  He went undrafted for a reason.

I honestly think they can both make the team. I really like Easley as a back up slot and I tried to hype him up a bit here. I don't know how, but I feel like they both make it, based solely on their college film and their projection into the E-P system. 

On 5/14/2019 at 8:18 AM, whatdrought said:

Factually this might not check out, but it seems to me that WR is the psosition that has the most UDFA success stories... maybe that’s just cause they’re more “sexy” than OL success, but there always seems to be a couple a year who do well, and even some who play well over an extended time.

all that to say, this is the season of optimism. 

It’s also a position that sees 5-6 guys play decent roles in a season and unlike OL actually gets practice time doing their core job duties 

I started this thread before the draft because I had a strong feeling he would be someone Beane and McD would really like going into the draft.  Obviously they signed him as an UDFA, and now in Embedded we got to see just how bad they wanted him and had actually almost drafted him in multiple rounds.  

Looking forward to seeing how he does in camp and preseason.  Given how in demand he was after the draft and how bad we wanted him, makes me wonder if they would risk trying to sneak him onto the PS, could give him a little more of an edge to make the roster over some of the other guys he will be competing with to grab one of those last roster spots.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1