David Sills V - Keep an eye on him if Bills dont draft WR early. edit: signed as UDFA!

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Nice pickup. 

I just wonder why they didn’t take him at 6 or 7?  Seems like we typically have more UDFAs on the team than players from 6 and 7 combined. 

From the picks they did make I’d say they used them on areas where they lacked depth. Very thin at ILB and S, TE after the starters. Saved WR for the UDFA group 

Edited by Boatdrinks

Needs weight or he’ll be bullied by guys five inches shorter than him. Ball skills don’t matter if you can’t break free from the corner. He went undrafted because there are guys closer to a successful NFL receiver in body type. Stats are a bonus.

7 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Needs weight or he’ll be bullied by guys five inches shorter than him. Ball skills don’t matter if you can’t break free from the corner. He went undrafted because there are guys closer to a successful NFL receiver in body type. Stats are a bonus.

Yeh but that can be solved by an off-season or two in an NFL S&C program his raw talent and hands are worth at least a 6th round flyer on 

4 hours ago, Rampage said:

That's probably the easiest thing to fix if a player cares enough. The good at football bit is the hard part to nail down.

6 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Nice pickup. 

I just wonder why they didn’t take him at 6 or 7?  Seems like we typically have more UDFAs on the team than players from 6 and 7 combined. 

They said they kept to the draft board, and Beane specifically recognised in the press conference the temptation to reach for a WR so he was clearly lower down the draft board

I'm glad lots of us like the guy, but can someone help sell me on him? Watching his clips I see a guy similar to David Nelson - tall and lanky, yet sure handed as well. Lots of DBs covering him on his TD highlights look like they covered rather poorly. 

I get he's a UDFA, and if he makes the roster I'll be happy for him, but I just want to hear a little more insight on guys that have followed and seen him more than I have. 

I think he has an outside chance to make the roster but they need to drill him and drill him and then drill him some more in the art of route running. The reason he struggles to separate in my view is that he is too imprecise when running routes. If he can sharpen that up he can play in the NFL. 

Not sure whether he plays teams? Anyone know? Because to crack the roster as a 5th or 6th receiver he will have to. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he has an outside chance to make the roster but they need to drill him and drill him and then drill him some more in the art of route running. The reason he struggles to separate in my view is that he is too imprecise when running routes. If he can sharpen that up he can play in the NFL. 

Not sure whether he plays teams? Anyone know? Because to crack the roster as a 5th or 6th receiver he will have to. 

Whoever worked with Rob Foster on tracking last year needs to spend a bunch of time with this kid!

• Like (+1) 1

David Sills V full story is on E:60 on ESPN right now  and it’s incredible and what his coaches say about him was incredible.  Plus they also followed him leading up to joining the Bills and how he had multiple teams but chose the Bills.  Even shows the call and interview after.

Amazing watch!   

Telling you we just signed a kid that is going to turn some heads in camp and will be one to watch!  

UPDATE:  It’s being replayed on ESPN2 now (well according to the guide but it’s currently showing end of a racing event) and DirecTV says it’s also replaying at 10pm (PST) tonight too.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

At this point I assume 1-5 are CB, JB, zay, Foster and Roberts with some confidence 

that leaves duke, sills, and I have a sneaky suspicion they add one more low end vet that has teams experience fighting for 6 vs practice squad. 

Not a knockout group but looks to be trending the right direction (knock on wood)

I only have one request..please tell me no one in the media will refer to him as "David Sills V".  I don't care what he puts on the back of his jersey, unless the Bills end up with David Sills III or David Sills IV, etc..., there is no need to use the stupid suffix.

12 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Beane must have had pretty good intel that he would not be drafted and that he was likely to sign with them which allowed them to use picks on other guys. 

You really think, Beane knows that the other 31 teams planned on not drafting him?  LOL

If Sills turns out to be a decent pro, it is nothing but dumb luck, that the Bills passed on him several times on day 3, but were then lucky enough to sign him as a UDFA.

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You really think, Beane knows that the other 31 teams planned on not drafting him?  LOL

If Sills turns out to be a decent pro, it is nothing but dumb luck, that the Bills passed on him several times on day 3, but were then lucky enough to sign him as a UDFA.

Nah im not saying that. I'm simply saying that he may have been in touch with the agent and may have had a feeling that Sills would make it through and took the chance. That's all. I think there is a pretty good chance that these guys have some idea of who will sign with them if they go undrafted. Like the Bills likely knew that Robert Foster was going to sign with them if he wasn't drafted, and that's why they drafted Proehl instead. JMO. I think there is a lot more communication like that than we think. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Whoever worked with Rob Foster on tracking last year needs to spend a bunch of time with this kid!

Im guessing, and it is a complete guess, that Chad Hall is that guy. Terry Robiskie was the receivers coach and most of his attention would naturally be focused on the starters. The assistant receivers coach in Chad Hall would have been the guy working on Foster on the side imo. Robiskie would not have time for that. This may have had a lot to do with Hall's promotion.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1