HOU open to moving Clowney- Mort

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/25/report-texans-open-to-trading-jadeveon-clowney/

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported on Thursday that the Texans are open to trading linebacker Jadeveon Clowney. Clowney has not signed his tender yet and a report earlier this month indicated the two sides are not close in talks regarding a long-term deal.

in the 10 threads on this already, everyone seems to hate him (just another Mario, overpriced, injured, all potential no real game).  i couldnt disagree more.  Sign him, draft an OL in the first, and our lines are ready to roll.  

Edited by Bill Murray
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

in the 10 threads on this already, everyone seems to hate him (just another Mario, overpriced, injured, all potential no real game).  i couldnt disagree more.  Sign him, draft a LT, and our lines are ready to roll.  

Depending on the price I'd definitely do it. Not sure we'd be able to swing a LT though, considering Houston would be trading up for one of them.

Clowney essentially is a massive upgrade to Lawson, so you can also work in what (likely little) trade comp we could get back for him. Even then -- I'd take a swap of ones and, say a 5 (for Shaq) to get Clowney! 

This is what I posted in the Clark thread: 

A swap of first rounders and a 2020 second rounder isn't crazy. It is basically teh same as the value Seattle got for Clark. 

I know the draft chart isn't the be all end all. But 9 is worth 1350 and 23 is worth 760. The difference is 590. The number 29 pick the Chiefs traded is worth 640. Buffalo would be 50 points shy here which is the value of a late fourth rounder, and we have two of those. You could also likely work Jerry Hughes into the trade if you really wanted to and recoup some value in draft picks. Maybe you could trade Hughes to the Giants and James bettcher for a move up or a 2020 third. 

I would offer the Texans a swap of ones, a 2020 second rounder, and a 2019 4th. It's a fair deal for both teams and would be the same value that Seattle got for Clark. We would still have nine picks is year. It's a no brainer to me. 

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Id be in it for the right price.  Given what the Bears and Chiefs have given up recently, I am not sure the right price is doable.

The Chief's cost is really misleading. They did not give up a ton. See above. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

32 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

in the 10 threads on this already, everyone seems to hate him (just another Mario, overpriced, injured, all potential no real game).  i couldnt disagree more.  Sign him, draft an OL in the first, and our lines are ready to roll.  

I will openly admit, I was pretty meh on this idea early when comparing him to Frank Clark.  Here were my criticisms:

• Both Clark and Clowney were going to command high draft capital and big contracts
  • Clark had played to the level already multiple times to warrant this, Clowney had yet to put together a season indicative of the combined expense of trade acquisition and contract.  
    • That being said, did acknowledge Clowneys youth and that his best football could very well be ahead of him, but always concerning when you are betting so big on potential versus actual resume.
  • I felt his reputation was bigger than his production

NOW UPDATE:

After having felt that way, I realized I knew more about Clarks actual on field play than Clowney.  I was doing to Clowney what I had criticized other posters for doing on other players, and that was over emphasizing his stats without researching context fully.  So, taking my own advice I started studying Clowney a lot more, especially as rumors persisted.  

Clark I just watched play a lot more as I always had a soft spot for Seahawks growing up as I have family from Tacoma and was a big Steve Largent fan as a kid.  I also liked Russell coming out of college a lot and wanted the Bills to draft him, so he also kept my interest in Seattle.  I have seen Clowney play, just not to the degree of Clark nor with the same enthused eye.

My opinion now:  Go make this trade.  I still DO NOT want to give up what KC gave up for Clark, however, I was always (even before) fine with swapping first round picks to get Clowney and even throwing in a 4th or 5th too if needed.  My big thing was I just didn't want to over pay on the trade compensation and then also shell out a big contract. 

I was never against trading for Clowney, just against paying a bounty to get him.  I preferred Clark over Clowney who I feel just has done more so far, and I still think that.   But after watching and learning more about Clowney, I think the gap is definitely closer than I previously throught.  Clowney was more disruptive than his stat sheet suggested and I think he could flourish on this current Bills team with McD.  

So I was overly harsh on him initially, and that was my own fault for not making the decision to learn more and making initial opinion off what I thought I knew...

Go get him Beane!  

• Like (+1) 3