Logic & Common Sense means Hockenson @ #1

PUNT750

I apologize for the name spelling mistake!  I was just so excited about this pick!!!! 

We can find a nice OT in Round #2.  Is a 1st Round DT going to really make the D that much better in his rookie year?  An Edge rusher is needed but there are plenty of steals in the 3rd and 4th Rounds for that specialty position.

Newly signed TE Kroft has just 67 career receptions over 4 years.  His Dead Cap for 2020 is a very manageable $1.6 mil.  Jason Croom has just 22 career receptions and is being paid $500,000/season.  He's an URFA next year.  

The BILLS need a great - not good - TIGHT END

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by PUNT750
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, McGee Return TD said:

The best TEs are most commonly found in the middle of the draft. The best DT/OT/DE are most commonly found at the top of the draft - build either line with #9 and go for skill, skill, and more skill (TE, WR, RB, WR, etc) the rest of the way.

It just so happens the best tight ends this past decade (Kelce, Gronk, Ertz, Witten) were 2nd and 3rd rounders.  It doesn't mean it's a lock that Hockenson or Fant will be disappointments.  Tony Gonzalez was a top 10 pick and he turned out okay.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It just so happens the best tight ends this past decade (Kelce, Gronk, Ertz, Witten) were 2nd and 3rd rounders.  It doesn't mean it's a lock that Hockenson or Fant will be disappointments.  Tony Gonzalez was a top 10 pick and he turned out okay.

True - Hock looks like he is going to be a great player, but personally I'd rather build up the trenches and go after a guy like Irv Smith or Sternburger from A&M in round 2. If they pick Hock at 9, though, I'll be happy - it's a great player at a need position.

1 hour ago, PUNT750 said:

We can find a nice OT in Round #2.  Is a 1st Round DT going to really make the D that much better in his rookie year?  An Edge rusher is needed but there are plenty of steals in the 3rd and 4th Rounds for that specialty position.

• Yes we can find a nice OT in round 2...maybe
  • Is a DT really going to make the D that much better in his rookie year?  YES he COULD if he is a good player.  No guarantees.
  • Ummmm...edge rusher steals in rounds 3 and 4?  Who?  Sure, we could find one there, but I don't find the edge rushers there guys I am that confident in.

Newly signed TE Kroft has just 67 career receptions over 4 years.  His Dead Cap for 2020 is a very manageable $1.6 mil.  Jason Croom has just 22 career receptions and is being paid $500,000/season.  He's an URFA next year.  

• Kroft stats is just you cherry picking to paint the story you want.  It by no way reflects his effectiveness when he was given opportunities.  Nothing more annoying than stat box analysts who dont actually know anything about the player.  
  • Kroft may or may not turn out to be a good starting TE.  We wont know until he is on the field.  I expect we will add a TE in the draft still.  Its one of the deepest positions in the draft though and future starters can be had in rounds 2-4. 

The BILLS need a great - not good - TIGHT END

GO BILLS!!!

• I like Hockenson a lot, but by no means do I feel our future is tied to whether or not we draft him.  We do not "need" a "great" TE...it would be awesome to have, but its not like every SB team had a "great" TE.  I do think its important we have a good starter there, but also feel there is quite a bit of value later in the draft and that Kroft is not as bad as you think.  

I am all for seeing Hockenson wear a Bills uniform, but I also think you are over exaggerating some things here and there is plenty of TE value to be found later if we go another direction in the first.

Edited by Alphadawg7