Any bowling fans ?

mead107

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Show off!  Nobody likes a show off.  Hope this ain't like Trump keeping score in golf.  Before computers bowling was an honor system too...

In case you don't believe me:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/03/31/pro-golfers-say-president-trump-cheats-at-the-highest-level-in-new-book/23703551/

This was after electronic scoring was implemented. No cheating here.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

A 54?  You keeping your wrist straight? I know it was your final game... LoL...

You need to watch this cult classic from '88, you'll keep that wrist straight!  ?  

Sororbabesbowl.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorority_Babes_in_the_Slimeball_Bowl-O-Rama

Thanks!  That looks right up my alley in terms of movies.

Im really not into mainstream films but older quirky ones.  This was one I watched recently I thought was good

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_(1984_film)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I used to work in a bowling alley and bowled from around 13 to 18 years old. High game was 298 and I had a few 700 series. It's probably been close to a decade since I last bowled.

At least you didn't choke, the last ball had a chance. I have a friend who bowled a 291. Only one way to do that. Collar was getting a bit tight I suspect.

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well how many Black Dogs do you know?  And it wasn’t this version. 

Of course it wasn't a live version... You were in a bowling ally, that would have been one hell of a show if it was.  Yeah, there is only one Black Dog from 1971, it's this song.  Just trying to give you a few more years with this version because you're as old dirt pushing 60.?

Don't worry, I will get my due... I will be there in 8 short years... ?

Still have my three balls from high school, bowling for Orchard Park. New shoes, however. Grew up behind the Southgate plaza so we were always at those lanes down the street on Union/Michael.

I get pissed when I don't average 200 over the course of 3 games. My kids love bowling.

I have this right inside my entryway also...............

image.png.a3b41bc8966063f09511c5e329b039a7.png

To answer Meads question.  Yes, bowling fan here.  Spent many hours at Frontier Lanes in Lewiston.

Also enjoyed watching Strikes, Spares and Misses  ,and Beat the Champ on Channel 4  WBEN.

Saturday afternoon meant ABC's telecast of PBA bowling with Nelson Burton Jr and Chris Schenkel.

The definition of smooth was watching Earl Anthony on the lanes.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Ten pin?  Duck pin?  5 pin?  Candlepin?

I’ve always been intrigued by candlepin, where, where fallen pins (deadwood) are not cleared between balls in the frame.  Popular in New England and the Maritimes, apparently.  Yolo has mentioned there’s duckpin (ten pins, smaller, smaller balls) around his way I believe.

Duck Pin popular in BMore and some DC suburbs. Used to live near a duckpin place in group house right out of college..man did we do a lot of betting on that game. Ton of fun. 100 meant you had at least 50/50 shot at winning, 120 was a freaking lock!

5 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

To answer Meads question.  Yes, bowling fan here.  Spent many hours at Frontier Lanes in Lewiston.

Also enjoyed watching Strikes, Spares and Misses  ,and Beat the Champ on Channel 4  WBEN.

Saturday afternoon meant ABC's telecast of PBA bowling with Nelson Burton Jr and Chris Schenkel.

The definition of smooth was watching Earl Anthony on the lanes.

i actually threw on some PBA bowling show the other day...so much different now. 

1) Crowd was loud the whole time..never got quite..kinda iike they were trying for a Happy Gilmore way to make bowling cool again.

2) Both dudes held the ball with both hands, and the hand that did not have fingers inserted came top to underneath and put wicked spin the ball

3) Best of two format..pts were involved..was kinda confusing and i didn't care that much  so not quite sure how it worked

Was still kinda boring and only watched for about 10 minutes

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Of course it wasn't a live version... You were in a bowling ally, that would have been one hell of a show if it was.  Yeah, there is only one Black Dog from 1971, it's this song.  Just trying to give you a few more years with this version because you're as old dirt pushing 60.?

Don't worry, I will get my due... I will be there in 8 short years... ?

They did have live versions of songs in Jukeboxes you know.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Channel 4 I believe used the term ‘Buffalo’s shining hour’ to trumpet their being first with a one hour local newscast in the evening.  Everyone knew Buffalo’s shining hour was the above two shows.

if you could name those two men (without reading one name there)....

21 minutes ago, row_33 said:

if you could name those two men (without reading one name there)....

Ed Kilgore and Chuck Healy.  I spent the 60s and early 70s glued to the ‘idiot box’, and WNY television personalities are often easily identified and remembered.  Southern Ontario not as easily, as only Channel 11 came in clearly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I used to work in a bowling alley and bowled from around 13 to 18 years old. High game was 298 and I had a few 700 series. It's probably been close to a decade since I last bowled.

I used to bowl as a kid with my dad and brothers or with my friends; and then in college I was in a bowling league with some buddies. There were many pitchers of beer involved. I was pretty good. Around 170 avg with a 278 high game. I always enjoyed it but haven't gone in over 20 years.

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I used to bowl as a kid with my dad and brothers or with my friends; and then in college I was in a bowling league with some buddies. There were many pitchers of beer involved. I was pretty good. Around 170 avg with a 278 high game. I always enjoyed it but haven't gone in over 20 years.

I had a great time working there. I started working the arcade when I was 15 and eventually worked my way up to the snack bar without getting a raise. $5.00 an hour was my pay for 3 years. It had perks though. I was 16 and got to work the snack bar for rock n bowl from 11 -1 on Fridays. The regulars brought beer in and I stuck it in the I chest. I was permitted to  drink behind the counter and listen to rock and roll and eat free food when I was barely old enough to drive. Cant ask for a much better gig at 16.

• Thank you (+1) 1