PFT Mock: It's Burns aAt #9

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Not bringing in the guy you take at #9 doesn't, to me, scream process. I think this process driven regime likely prefer to take a guy they know top to bottom. Indeed their early picks in the last two drafts have all been in the facility (or in Dawkins and Jones case the Panthers facility.... hmmmm). 

That said it is true they have inside info on Williams. 

I think the Bills are likely trying to move. Either up (for Oliver or maybe Josh Allen) or down the board (to get better value on Burns or Metcalf). If they stick at #9 then I think Williams is the safe pick but that is not where I expect them to go. I think it would be one of the two risky high ceiling guys - DK or Burns. My instincts say they would give the edge to pass rusher as they tried to address that in other ways (trades and FA) and haven't yet, whereas they have added receivers. 

EDIT: or Sweat of course. I think he will now get to #9 when previously he wouldn't have. No idea how the Bills view his medical situation. But he is a high ceiling guy who they have had in the building too. 

Agree. I don't see them selecting someone at 9 that they didn't bring in. I think their preference is to move; however, if they remain at 9 and it comes down to Burns or Metcalf, I think they may go Metcalf. I say that because (1) I really believe Beane wants to find a #1 receiver for Allen (as evidenced by his willingness to pursue a douche like Antonio Brown); (2) Metcalf, IMO, provides a skill set that matches up well with Allen's strengths; and (3) defensive help is deep in this draft.

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agree. I don't see them selecting someone at 9 that they didn't bring in. I think their preference is to move; however, if they remain at 9 and it comes down to Burns or Metcalf, I think they may go Metcalf. I say that because (1) I really believe Beane wants to find a #1 receiver for Allen (as evidenced by his willingness to pursue a douche like Antonio Brown); (2) Metcalf, IMO, provides a skill set that matches up well with Allen's strengths; and (3) defensive help is deep in this draft.

I go the other way because Beane has said (even before this draft season that he doesn't really subscribe to the #1 receiver theory and because we know they have held interest in Clowney, Clark and Ansah during the FA period. They clearly see an edge rush need and haven't yet been able to address it. 

That said if the Bills don't take DK he could easily slide through the teens..... if he is sitting out there in the early 20s I don't rule out them coming up and ending up with both. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I go the other way because Beane has said (even before this draft season that he doesn't really subscribe to the #1 receiver theory and because we know they have held interest in Clowney, Clark and Ansah during the FA period. They clearly see an edge rush need and haven't yet been able to address it. 

That said if the Bills don't take DK he could easily slide through the teens..... if he is sitting out there in the early 20s I don't rule out them coming up and ending up with both. 

Yeah, I go back and forth on this. You are right in what Beane has said about a #1 receiver; however, I still feel as if he would like one. On the other hand, there is no denying they need an edge rusher. I certainly could live with either. I guess the best of both worlds would be to grab Burns there and hope Metcalf slides to a spot they could move up to - or have the opportunity to grab N'Keal Harry, who I put right behind Metcalf.

No matter what happens, I have a feeling it is going to be an interesting night. Cheers! 

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

PFT’s 2019 mock draft

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2019, 1:17 PM EDT

9. Bills: Brian Burns, EDGE, FSU.

Here’s a move that could be followed by a trade of Jerry Hughes and his $6.35 million salary to a team that fails to get a pass rusher it covets in round one.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/24/pfts-2019-mock-draft/

ya-nasty-gif-5.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

I think the Bills are trading out unless someone elite drops. I think either direction, up or down. Burns or Jonah seem like risky picks at 9 or at least do not hold the value you'd like. Ive been saying this for months...9 could be no mans land.

15 hours ago, SCBills said:

Why are these people trying to trade away Hughes?  

We need a pass rusher opposite him, not replacing him.  Smh....

I agree not sure what all this talk of moving him is about. Hes still a very productive pass rusher and just because hes 31 doesn't mean hes not affective. Pass rushers play at a high level until their mid to late 30's sometime. I have not seen him slowing down at all

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Ive looked at multiple big boards and only one has burns in the top ten. Most have him late first to second round.

Burns is not happening, not at 9 anyway.

putting money on Williams.

At 9 yeah maybe Williams.... but I’d bet we trade down. 

Burns is a stud. In a interview with Chris Sims he weighed 253. The kid is 20 years old and I think turns 21 soon. He mentioned gaining weight was easy, maintaining it was easy. Once he gets an NFL nutritionist assigned to he he could probably hit 260 or even 265 in the next couple years. Kid is the real deal. He’s going top 15 pick 100% no doubt.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1
  • Like (+1) 2

Not the guy I'd choose (given that he needs time to "get stronger and sharpen his toolset," but he may be BPA when the Bills pick.   He'd likely be Lorax's eventual replacement if they go this way...

Per Brugler's analysis in the Athletic:

STRENGTHS: Twitchy get-off and lateral movements…runs the arc with speed…natural body control to capture the corner and flatten to the quarterback…angular body type with long arms to stab or club-rip blockers…plays with bend and skillfully regains his balance mid-rush…able to change directions with little wasted movement…displays the foot agility and long strides to cover ground and play in space…uses his length to find passing lanes…blocked three kicks over his career…voted a team captain in 2018 and his FSU coaches call him a “humble hustler” who gives “consistent effort” in practice…started every game the past two seasons and played through injuries…his 24.0 career sacks rank fifth in school history.

WEAKNESSES: Lanky limbed athlete and lacks ideal bulk on his frame…questionable max weight…not a power player and can be controlled on the edge (see 2018 Northern Illinois tape)…leaves his chest open and his hand/punch timing requires refinement…hands tend to wander, lacking disciplined counters…prefers to run the arc and needs to develop his inside moves...not much of a talker and is developing his leadership skills.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Florida State, Burns lined up primarily with his hand on the ground at field defensive end for the Seminoles. Despite a disappointing 5-7 record in 2018, which snapped FSU’s 36-year bowl-eligible streak, he stayed motivated and set career-bests in tackles, tackles for loss and sacks as a junior. Burns is a loose-jointed athlete with above-average speed off the edge, also showing the agility to drop in space or defend the run. He flashes a variety of pass rush moves, but tends to be over-reliant on his athleticism and needs to develop his timing and set-up skills. Overall, Burns needs to continue to get stronger and sharpen his toolset, but his first step explosion, athletic flexibility and baseline understanding of how to use his length/hands are a recipe for an impact NFL pass rusher, regardless of scheme. GRADE: 1st Round (#11 overall)

17 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

PFT’s 2019 mock draft

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2019, 1:17 PM EDT

9. Bills: Brian Burns, EDGE, FSU.

Here’s a move that could be followed by a trade of Jerry Hughes and his $6.35 million salary to a team that fails to get a pass rusher it covets in round one.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/24/pfts-2019-mock-draft/

:sick:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

I hate it. Make a very long reach at 9, then trade away our best DL. That would be the bonehead move of the decade, IMO.

I cannot see Hughes being traded. If anything, Burns would be his bookend...I don't like Murphy at all, and the verdict is out on Lawson...IMO!

IMO...Bills need an Edge, DT and LB.