PFT Mock: It's Burns aAt #9

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

PFT’s 2019 mock draft

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2019, 1:17 PM EDT

9. Bills: Brian Burns, EDGE, FSU.

Here’s a move that could be followed by a trade of Jerry Hughes and his $6.35 million salary to a team that fails to get a pass rusher it covets in round one.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/24/pfts-2019-mock-draft/

This is perhaps one of the stupidest insights I've seen this draft season. Hughes is their most productive pass rusher. McD also greatly appreciates Hughes' work ethic and approach to the game and likes having players like that around so the young bucks can see how it's done. Finally, $6.8 mil for a solid pass rusher is not exactly breaking the bank, plus they have the money anyway. Cripes. Who wrote this? I genuinely hope they smack their toes and shins on every piece of furniture they own. 

No comments on Burns, but as far as Hughes, under previous management I wanted him out. His inability to control himself and cost us 15 yards 3 times a game was infuriating. With McDermott in charge, he seems to have a bit more control, yet still maintains his passion and productivity. Let him play his final year and we can do a 2 year extension if he produces.

If he has a less stellar year, we have rotational DEs that might break out and/or we can address it next year. I dont like DE this draft (for us) unless its Bosa or Allen.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

PFT’s 2019 mock draft

Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2019, 1:17 PM EDT

9. Bills: Brian Burns, EDGE, FSU.

Here’s a move that could be followed by a trade of Jerry Hughes and his $6.35 million salary to a team that fails to get a pass rusher it covets in round one.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/24/pfts-2019-mock-draft/

I like him...

I don't think the Bills will Draft him...?

4 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Burns at 9 would feel like us the years we took Maybin/Whitner.  If we traded down or traded back into the 1st to grab Burns in the late teens I'd think it was a good move though.  Just not at 9 please

Quarterback cravin Aaron Maybin would’ve been a junk pick at 15

I think Burns has more upside than Leonard Floyd... Floyd went what? #4 overall.... if Burns can stay at 250.... watch out.

The Maybin comparison is dumb. This kid showed he can easily put on the weight and not be slowed. Maybin couldn’t put on weight.  

Ill take Burns and Jerry Tillery all day!!!!

4 hours ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Burns at 9 would feel like us the years we took Maybin/Whitner.  If we traded down or traded back into the 1st to grab Burns in the late teens I'd think it was a good move though.  Just not at 9 please

This. Burns physically is a reincarnation of Maybin. Can you think of any comparable NFL pass rusher who has been highly successful with Burns'/Maybin's physique? Me neither. I'll go further. I don't want him at #9 overall or in the 2nd or 3rd round either even were he to slide because I don't believe his body will hold up against NFL offensive linemen. Why waste a day 1 or 2 draft pick on the dude? 

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'd be surprised because he isn't a prototype. Joe Marino from the locked on Bills podcast says he is the best pass rusher in the class. But his size doesn't seem to fit with what the Bills usually look for.

It will be someone who has been in on a visit. That to me narrows the field of available down considerably. It means Metcalf is in play and Burns is in play and that is about it. 

8 hours ago, Foxx said:

i hope you're not advocating trading Hughes.

No.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, H2o said:

That's what I was thinking, Maybin II. 

Or he could be Von Miller II. I remember I didn't want Von that year because he reminded me of Maybin. He was also originally projected to go mid first before he shot up draft boards. Just goes to show you can't go with that line of thinking. 

If he's not on this list https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/3/22/18269766/2019-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-top-30-pre-draft-visit-tracker-rumors-notes

then I don't think the particular player is on Buffalo's radar for the 1st round.  Josh and Tremaine were both pre-draft visits last year, and I think that is likely to be the case this year.  

Burns I don't think is in consideration at 9.

32 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

If he's not on this list https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/3/22/18269766/2019-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-top-30-pre-draft-visit-tracker-rumors-notes

then I don't think the particular player is on Buffalo's radar for the 1st round.  Josh and Tremaine were both pre-draft visits last year, and I think that is likely to be the case this year.  

Burns I don't think is in consideration at 9.

Burns did visit. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/billswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/29/report-de-brian-burns-will-meet-with-buffalo-bills-pre-2019-nfl-draft/amp/

Not sure why Buffalo Rumblings missed him but he has been in. I agree the Bills will pick someone they have had in at #9. 

The players the Bills have had in who could in some minds be value at #9 are:

1. Quinnen Williams - will be gone

2. Ed Oliver - likely gone

3. Jawaan Taylor - likely gone

4. Josh Allen - will be gone

5. Montez Sweat - possible medical issue?

6. DK Metcalf

7. Brian Burns

To me it is, in all likelihood, down to Metcalf or Burns. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Burns did visit. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/billswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/29/report-de-brian-burns-will-meet-with-buffalo-bills-pre-2019-nfl-draft/amp/

Not sure why Buffalo Rumblings missed him but he has been in. I agree the Bills will pick someone they have had in at #9. 

The players the Bills have had in who could in some minds be value at #9 are:

1. Quinnen Williams - will be gone

2. Ed Oliver - likely gone

3. Jawaan Taylor - likely gone

4. Josh Allen - will be gone

5. Montez Sweat - possible medical issue?

6. DK Metcalf

7. Brian Burns

To me it is, in all likelihood, down to Metcalf or Burns. 

Dang you're right.  Miles Sanders is on the list but doesn't count towards their 30 bc "Penn State is their home market", so they only had 29 visitors listed... Good catch, I wish he wasn't on the list, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt if he is the pick.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Ive looked at multiple big boards and only one has burns in the top ten. Most have him late first to second round.

Burns is not happening, not at 9 anyway.

putting money on Williams.

They haven't had Jonah in. Makes me think he isn't the guy. That said they did meet him at the Combine maybe they thought they had got everything they needed. 

As for Burns I don't think he would be the pick at #9 but for what has happened with Sweat and Gary. If the medical questions on them are significant and you are marking them out of the top 10 then Burns does creep into 10th on my big board. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They haven't had Jonah in. Makes me think he isn't the guy. That said they did meet him at the Combine maybe they thought they had got everything they needed. 

As for Burns I don't think he would be the pick at #9 but for what has happened with Sweat and Gary. If the medical questions on them are significant and you are marking them out of the top 10 then Burns does creep into 10th on my big board. 

Maybe your board but just dont see it happening we can get rushers in 2-4 rounds.

We draft many players that didn't visit. 

Dabol knows Williams well and the FO probably didn't want to waste a visit on guy that they have inside info on.

There is just too much reporting of Williams to the Bills, doesnt have to happen but it seems likely.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Maybe your board but just dont see it happening we can get rushers in 2-4 rounds.

We draft many players that didn't visit. 

Dabol knows Williams well and the FO probably didn't want to waste a visit on guy that they have inside info on.

There is just too much reporting of Williams to the Bills, doesnt have to happen but it seems likely.

Not bringing in the guy you take at #9 doesn't, to me, scream process. I think this process driven regime likely prefer to take a guy they know top to bottom. Indeed their early picks in the last two drafts have all been in the facility (or in Dawkins and Jones case the Panthers facility.... hmmmm). 

That said it is true they have inside info on Williams. 

I think the Bills are likely trying to move. Either up (for Oliver or maybe Josh Allen) or down the board (to get better value on Burns or Metcalf). If they stick at #9 then I think Williams is the safe pick but that is not where I expect them to go. I think it would be one of the two risky high ceiling guys - DK or Burns. My instincts say they would give the edge to pass rusher as they tried to address that in other ways (trades and FA) and haven't yet, whereas they have added receivers. 

EDIT: or Sweat of course. I think he will now get to #9 when previously he wouldn't have. No idea how the Bills view his medical situation. But he is a high ceiling guy who they have had in the building too. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1