PFT Mock: It's Burns aAt #9

2 minutes ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Burns at 9 would feel like us the years we took Maybin/Whitner.  If we traded down or traded back into the 1st to grab Burns in the late teens I'd think it was a good move though.  Just not at 9 please

That's what I was thinking, Maybin II. 

36 minutes ago, H2o said:

Draft a 235lb edge rusher that you don't know will pan out and trade one of the better ones in the league? No

Please. He'll play at 250-60 and may be the best pure pass rusher in the draft.

He also has WAY better play strength than Maybin could of ever hoped for. Totally weak and lazy argument.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, noacls said:

Hughes must be one of the most overrated Bills of all time. 

Also no to Burns, would rather have Sweat with medical issues.  

Dude! Not even close... 

He may not be All Pro but what he accomplishes with no help around him is quite impressive.

I know what Hughes has produced in previous years but in McDermotts defense his production is way down.  He just doesn't fit this style defense. 

I think the eagles would trade for Hughes in a heartbeat and they have 2 second rounders. 

56 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

He also has WAY better play strength than Maybin could of ever hoped for. Totally weak and lazy argument.

What evidence do you have of that?  Burns was very underweight and underpowered in college, worked out multiple times a day and ate like a fiend to put on 20 good pounds for the combine.  There is no evidence that 1) he’ll be able to maintain that weight during a season and 2) even with the additional weight he won’t be overpowered at the NFL against much bigger stronger competition than he faced in college 

MAYBE he can carry and maintain the extra weight and maybe his speed will overcome his lack of strength against NFL competition, but that is too risky for my taste high in round one for a team that can not afford a total miss.

Edited by OldTimer1960

52 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Uhhhh, no it's not. And if you watch film on him he does get stood up because he is smallish. He may have "better play strength than Maybin", but his sack numbers were also against the weaker teams on the schedule just like Maybin. He's more likely an edge in a 3-4 if anything, not a 4-3 DE. There are a bunch of guys with speed, but that doesn't mean they succeed in the NFL. If they take him in the first it would be a mistake. Jawaan Taylor held him in check this year and watch him against Alabama in 2017. Those are the best equivalents to NFL talent he will face week in and week out. 

• Like (+1) 1

I understand the notion of a trade of Hughes, not that I think the Bills would do it.  Hughes is 30 years old and the length of his career moving forward is in question.  He could be effective for a couple more years or 7 to 8 years.  He's entering the final year of his contract, and will likely want one bigger than the deal he has now.  The length is subject to negotiation, and Jerry's agent will probably push for a longer one than Beane wants to commit to given Jerry's age.  If all you're concerned with is the long term stability of one position, then trading Jerry is the direction to go. Burns gives you a player for 4 years at a discounted cost.  However, If the Bills draft him, they will be looking for an upgrade of their pass rush in the upcoming season  Jerry still has it even though he wasn't as productive as some seasons.  There were other factors that played into that.  By keeping Jerry they should have a better overall pass rush (assuming they can also pick up a quality 3 tech somewhere).  They could play Hughes and Burns on opposite ends, or employ a deadly rotation.  Either way If should really pressure opposing defenses.