What if NE Doesn't submit it's pick Thursday night?

DasNootz

Based on what I have read, don't necessarily trust the source but, the "missed" pick can be made at any point during the current round of the draft. 

So with that logic, if we pick 9th, we could submit our pick anytime from when we are on the clock until the 32nd pick is submitted.  This happened in 2003 with the vikings picking 6th and time ran out. Jags and panthers made their picks before the vikings submitted their pick. 

So in this case, the pats only have the 10 min window and then they lose the pick altogether. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DasNootz said:

What would happen if NE didn't submit it's pick on Thursday night for the 32nd pick at the end of it's allotted time?  Could Cleveland submit it's pick even though it's not technically on the clock until Friday?  It just seems like a NE-esque move to give themselves and extra day to work out a trade back.  

We've seen it happen mid round in the past, and you simply lose your spot in line while other teams rush up to make their pick...but between rounds, I'm not sure.

Nope their on a timer just like everyone else is, if no pick after time expires they get no pick and day 2 starts the next day with Cleveland on the clock, now when the clock restarts the I think the Pats could still draft someone but not sure they could trade the pick.

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Nope their on a timer just like everyone else is, if no pick after time expires they get no pick and day 2 starts the next day with Cleveland on the clock, now when the clock restarts the I think the Pats could still draft someone but not sure they could trade the pick.

...and I think the Patsies can slide with other teams still having their original 2nd round time slot available.....so after Cleveland pick, Cards (#33), Colts (#34) or Raiders (#35) can actually beat them in a race to the podium if Patsies are still not ready....happened to Vikes in 2003 and Ravens in 2011 I believe...

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I do recall a similar thing happening one year, seem to recall it involving the Vikings, can't recall if they were the team late with the pick or they jumped ahead of the team that was late.  It was in the middle of some round, not the last pick of a round. But can remember the clock expiring and the next team got right up to the table and submitted their pick.  The team that was late, then picked right afterward, so basically were one pick late. 

Happening at the end of round would be different.  May mean on Friday a race to the table, both teams bring in sprinters to deliver the pick.  Which team is seated closer to the front of the room??

Give the guy a break!! Can understand the error, Cleveland picking first in every round seemed to have become a given!

https://uproxx.com/sports/nfl-draft-history-minnesota-vikings-missed-pick/

Good question...however what’s the benefit really?

They have spent a year or more on these prospects, they know who they are taking when they get on the clock.  So no value gained there really.  

Other would be to explore a trade, but whose going to complete a trade with a pick they aren’t guaranteed to get?  Once the clock starts, AZ could get their pick in first (and would if league had to process the trade first) and take whoever the trading up team wanted.  So pretty risky to trade up with no assurances you will get the guy you’re going after.  

So while this was a valid and good question, ultimately I don’t see what value there is for this to actually occur.