any chess fans here? Check out this 7 year olds end game

Pete

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That almost sounds Cheatriot-esque. LoL

But I get what you mean.

the current world champion is not a grind on opening theory or much of any theory at all, quite a feat in the day of computers helping for "analytics"

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Kid looked bored.  Playing with it fingernails the whole time.   I've not played in a very long time and I thought I was good.  No...I sucked. 

Yep.  I remember back in school there was a chess "club" that played during an afternoon study hall.  My ego took a trimming in that I seldom got out of the middle rounds to be a final 4 contestant.  Didn't like it at the time but it was good for me in terms of building character in that a person will not be excellent at everything he tries and that if he wishes to continue then work on improving.

49 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

When Murray Head mentions ‘massage parlours’, it saddened me to think even this thread circles back around to Kraft...

?

never cared about the Kraft story, it couldn't possibly bring anything truly positive to my mind or soul

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, row_33 said:

the current world champion is not a grind on opening theory or much of any theory at all, quite a feat in the day of computers helping for "analytics"

I downloaded Magnus' free chess app. recently. You can simulate playing him at different ages. 

I hadn't played in years and I have only used it a few times. His 14 old self beat me pretty easily about 5 times in a row so I started lower and beat him when he was 8☺ I have won one game so far against 10 yr old Magnus out of 7.  Feels good to play chess again and exercise my brain in that way.

Edited by Turk71

16 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I downloaded Magnus' free chess app. recently. You can simulate playing him at different ages. 

I hadn't played in years and I have only used it a few times. His 14 old self beat me pretty easily about 5 times in a row so I started lower and beat him when he was 8☺ I have won one game so far against 10 yr old Magnus out of 7.  Feels good to play chess again and exercise my brain in that way.

well done!

i used to play a lot more, had a few colleagues a bit better than me which made it a good challenge

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

well done!

i used to play a lot more, had a few colleagues a bit better than me which made it a good challenge

I started young and played a lot at different periods of my life but haven't really had anyone to play against in the last 20 years or so. I learned from my older brother and 'Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess'. We had a few other master chess books laying around. This is the first chess app I have had and it is really challenging, my brain started to hurt the first time I played from not playing for so long. 

21 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I started young and played a lot at different periods of my life but haven't really had anyone to play against in the last 20 years or so. I learned from my older brother and 'Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess'. We had a few other master chess books laying around. This is the first chess app I have had and it is really challenging, my brain started to hurt the first time I played from not playing for so long. 

i was just old enough to joint the Bobby craze, when it was cool to play the game

great to see you have found something challenging, not a surprise coming from Magnus

There is no single board game that can overtake chess... and there never will be. It is the ultimate board game. 

I have a chess table that I built in the 90's... (don't know how to put pics on here) but I spent weeks making it. Shame I haven't used it in 20 years. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, T&C said:

There is no single board game that can overtake chess... and there never will be. It is the ultimate board game. 

I have a chess table that I built in the 90's... (don't know how to put pics on here) but I spent weeks making it. Shame I haven't used it in 20 years. 

My Grandpa used to make nice chess boards and cool cribbage boards that looked like ships in his basement wood shop. I have one of each.

I have always loved chess and can't believe I went so many years without playing. Glad I got the Play Magnus chess app. Feels good to be playing again.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

My Grandpa used to make nice chess boards and cool cribbage boards that looked like ships in his basement wood shop. I have one of each.

I have always loved chess and can't believe I went so many years without playing. Glad I got the Play Magnus chess app. Feels good to be playing again.

alright, i'll look into that app... :D

On 4/24/2019 at 6:37 PM, BUFFALOKIE said:

So, break it down. Is there a play clock or an overall game clock, or what? Both players had relatively long pauses.

Think of it as a game clock.  

When I finish my move I hit the button, and that starts YOUR clock running.  When you finish your move you hit the button and start my clock running.  My clock picks up where it left off and continues to keep track of cumulative time.  It doesn't reset.

In this way, the first of us to hit a pre-determined cumulative time limit loses, assuming no one has lost on the board already.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:37 PM, BUFFALOKIE said:

So, break it down. Is there a play clock or an overall game clock, or what? Both players had relatively long pauses.

each side has a set time to...

1) finish the game in a relatively short amount of time, 5 minutes is common, 1 minute is a good challenge for the best in the game; or

2) finish a number of moves, say 40 moves in 100 minutes, with the next 20 moves timing agreed to in advance, used for the more formal competitions.