Marquise Brown vs. Tavon Austin

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

we already have 2 legit speed WR's.......what we need now are large targets that can do something with the ball after they catch it.

Hock is really starting to grow on me

Yup.  We have a bunch of 2,3,4 receivers.  We need a number 1 at both receiver and TE.  I could get behind Hock and/ or Butler/ Harry in the 2nd round.  We aren’t good enough in the passing game yet. 

Coming out Austin was a utility player in college.  Brown has been a traditional Wr for the most part.  I think it's a lazy comparison due to his size.  Deshaun Jackson is a more accurate one due to the style of play and frame.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  We have a bunch of 2,3,4 receivers.  We need a number 1 at both receiver and TE.  I could get behind Hock and/ or Butler/ Harry in the 2nd round.  We aren’t good enough in the passing game yet. 

We're not good enough at stopping the run and rushing the passer either.

4 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Hate to bring up the draft that got us EJ Manuel, but what got us that pick plus the one we used for Kiko (eventually Shady) was with the Rams.  They loved Tavon Austin so much that they busted a move to get him.  

Personally, I think the trade was even worse for the Rams than the one we made for Sammy Watkins.  They aren't sufficiently ridiculed for this.  Perhaps it's because we drafted EJ Manuel, which was ultimately worse than Austin.

Now teams are poised to make Marquise Brown a 1st round pick.  In my opinion, he is comparable to Austin.  Both are tiny speedsters who are projected to be game breakers.  Brown has had the advantage of having the ball placed in his hands by Kyler Murray, while being covered by college level defensive backs.  Sure, he's quick.....and elusive.  But he will be pounded by NFL defenders.  

Pass.  

I get your point, and if people remember we drafted the BETTER small WR in that draft later in Marquise Goodwin.  And I said at that time he was every much as good as Tavon and maybe better...which he has proved to be, especially after letting his body become more football ready instead of spitting with track.  

But, that being said, Marquise Brown reminds me a lot more of Tyreek Hill than Tavon Austin.  I do think Brown has the ability to make plays like a bigger guy.  Tavon was always a gadget guy with mediocre hands.  I was never high on Tavon coming out, but Brown I think has much more upside.  Now can his body hold up in that frame with the big boys is a legit question, but if so I think he has more potential than Tavon ever had.  

I do not want to draft him though.  If we steal him later in the draft, sure all for it.  But with the WR room makeup we have right now, I feel like he duplicates skill sets we already have in Brown and Foster.  So for me, I would rather see a different style and size of WR taken to round out our group better.  Someone like DK, Harry, etc fits much better into our group and have immense upside themselves.  

If we got him in the 3rd (I doubt he falls that far, but you never know in a deep WR class and the type of foot injury he had that can take a long time to fix) then I think its just great value and hard to pass up.  Still hoping for one of the other big target guys though.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Actually, I'm good with having a bunch of 2 and 3 receivers (not so much 4).  The problem with the Bills the last few years is too many times we convinced ourself we didn't have a #1 but had a bunch of #2's and #3s...when in reality we didn't have a #1 or a #2 and had a bunch of 'maybe #3s' and 4's and 5's.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I see a stretcher and multiple carts in his future.  No thanks

He's been undersized his whole life and he plays a finesse position, he's not a RB. Sometimes your best prospect isn't 6'5 240lbs. Give me Marquise Brown over Kelvin Benjamin all day long. When it comes to judging a player it's a lot more than height and weight ratios. My childhood friend put me through many walls and he was 5'8 but everyone knew not to ***** with him. Some small dudes can flat out fight.

16 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

He's been undersized his whole life and he plays a finesse position, he's not a RB. Sometimes your best prospect isn't 6'5 240lbs. Give me Marquise Brown over Kelvin Benjamin all day long. When it comes to judging a player it's a lot more than height and weight ratios. My childhood friend put me through many walls and he was 5'8 but everyone knew not to ***** with him. Some small dudes can flat out fight.

Dude weighs 166 lbs.  roscoe Parrish has 10 lbs on him. Amendola has 20 on him.  Edelman has 33 on him.  This isn’t kids in school fighting.  

I would never ever use a 1st rd pick on a guy that weighs 166 lbs.  most little guys get hurt.  It’s a big mans game and there’s a reason there aren’t any 170 lb HoFers.  Even the kickers weight 180+.  

The odds of him being healthy are slim if he’s getting a healthy dose of targets imo.  

Edit:  he’s alsp put on 20+ lbs since arriving.  He doesn’t have much room for much more.  Maybe 175 tops imo.  

Edited by NewEra

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Dude weighs 166 lbs.  roscoe Parrish has 10 lbs on him. Amendola has 20 on him.  Edelman has 33 on him.  This isn’t kids in school fighting.  

I would never ever use a 1st rd pick on a guy that weighs 166 lbs.  most little guys get hurt.  It’s a big mans game and there’s a reason there aren’t any 170 lb HoFers.  Even the kickers weight 180+.  

The odds of him being healthy are slim if he’s getting a healthy dose of targets imo.  

Problem with some of these small guys is they are slipperly little buggers they are, can never get a hit on them. Brown will be just fine. He will likely put on some weight though. I see him as a Desean Jackson, you see him as something else. I'm man enough to admit i may be wrong though. Forgive me if I detract from the possibility of you being right. You could be.

11 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Problem with some of these small guys is they are slipperly little buggers they are, can never get a hit on them. Brown will be just fine. He will likely put on some weight though. I see him as a Desean Jackson, you see him as something else. I'm man enough to admit i may be wrong though. Forgive me if I detract from the possibility of you being right. You could be.

As you could be too.  I just don’t like the odds of a 175 lb WR being anything more than a 1 trick pony.  Some succeed, like Jackson.  The majority don’t.  

• Thank you (+1) 1