Marquise Brown vs. Tavon Austin

Hate to bring up the draft that got us EJ Manuel, but what got us that pick plus the one we used for Kiko (eventually Shady) was with the Rams.  They loved Tavon Austin so much that they busted a move to get him.  

Personally, I think the trade was even worse for the Rams than the one we made for Sammy Watkins.  They aren't sufficiently ridiculed for this.  Perhaps it's because we drafted EJ Manuel, which was ultimately worse than Austin.

Now teams are poised to make Marquise Brown a 1st round pick.  In my opinion, he is comparable to Austin.  Both are tiny speedsters who are projected to be game breakers.  Brown has had the advantage of having the ball placed in his hands by Kyler Murray, while being covered by college level defensive backs.  Sure, he's quick.....and elusive.  But he will be pounded by NFL defenders.  

Pass.  

3 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Hate to bring up the draft that got us EJ Manuel, but what got us that pick plus the one we used for Kiko (eventually Shady) was with the Rams.  They loved Tavon Austin so much that they busted a move to get him.  

Personally, I think the trade was even worse for the Rams than the one we made for Sammy Watkins.  They aren't sufficiently ridiculed for this.  Perhaps it's because we drafted EJ Manuel, which was ultimately worse than Austin.

Now teams are poised to make Marquise Brown a 1st round pick.  In my opinion, he is comparable to Austin.  Both are tiny speedsters who are projected to be game breakers.  Brown has had the advantage of having the ball placed in his hands by Kyler Murray, while being covered by college level defensive backs.  Sure, he's quick.....and elusive.  But he will be pounded by NFL defenders.  

Pass.  

Marquise Brown showed me ball skills on film, he'll make contested catches. He can run routes and get a lot of seperation. He's my #2 WR after AJ Brown. Didn't really look at AJ Brown much early on but he is a complete WR. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The 2013 class was so bad, it’s hard to fault anyone in that draft. I don’t think there were any guys with a first round grade that year. 

Even though Austin didn’t live up to expectations he was still one of the best picks in the first round that year.

Edited by billspro

6 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Marquise Brown showed me ball skills on film, he'll make contested catches. He can run routes and get a lot of seperation. He's my #2 WR after AJ Brown. Didn't really look at AJ Brown much early on but he is a complete WR. 

I don’t think his hands are that good. Saw him drop a lot

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/marquise-brown?id=32194252-4f41-3218-bf76-54f4042e0396

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/marquise-brown

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Hands are average. But he does a great job tracking the ball and can make contested catches. His size won't stop him IMO, even though he's small. I don't care much about height and weight anymore for WR's. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

9 minutes ago, billspro said:

The 2013 class was so bad, it’s hard to fault anyone in that draft. I don’t think there were any guys with a first round grade that year. 

Even though Austin didn’t live up to expectations he was still one of the best picks in the first round that year.

We have two guys on our roster from the first round.  Star and Tyler Eifert.  If we get Ansah make it three.  The guy we don't have is EJ Manuel.

10 minutes ago, billspro said:

Best player with the ball in his hand that year. Problem was getting the ball in his hands. I was high on him, but he couldn't run routes in college. 

2 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

We have two guys on our roster from the first round.  Star and Tyler Eifert.  If we get Ansah make it three.  The guy we don't have is EJ Manuel.

Wrong Tyler from Cincinnati. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Now teams are poised to make Marquise Brown a 1st round pick.  In my opinion, he is comparable to Austin.  Both are tiny speedsters who are projected to be game breakers.  Brown has had the advantage of having the ball placed in his hands by Kyler Murray, while being covered by college level defensive backs.  Sure, he's quick.....and elusive.  But he will be pounded by NFL defenders.  imo

Pass.  

Agree, hard pass. Feather weight, goes down when someone sneezes on him, Lisfranc foot injury (could be signs of more to come), concentration lapses/drops, invisible in bigger games.

A legit speedster with the ball in his hands, but not enough to gamble an early pick to acquire IMO.

44 minutes ago, billspro said:

He wasn't even the best receiver on his team.  Bailey put up far better numbers

Brown doesn't remind me of Austin.

Austin's game was side-to-side quickness, agility, lateral movement. He has never been and still isn't a true wide receiver. More of a jet sweep motion guy and "offensive weapon" if you want to call him that.

Brown, on the other hand, is a true wide receiver. He's somewhere between DeSean Jackson and Marquise Goodwin. His calling card is straight line speed. He will take the top off a defense. 

I'm not for drafting Brown because we have two of him already in John Brown and Robert Foster, but best of look to whoever drafts him in keeping him healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Agree, hard pass. Feather weight, goes down when someone sneezes on him, Lisfranc foot injury (could be signs of more to come), concentration lapses/drops, invisible in bigger games.

A legit speedster with the ball in his hands, but not enough to gamble an early pick to acquire IMO.

The foot injury is enough to scare me away from a 1st rounder. If he lasts until the 2nd, okay

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Brown doesn't remind me of Austin.

Austin's game was side-to-side quickness, agility, lateral movement. He has never been and still isn't a true wide receiver. More of a jet sweep motion guy and "offensive weapon" if you want to call him that.

Brown, on the other hand, is a true wide receiver. He's somewhere between DeSean Jackson and Marquise Goodwin. His calling card is straight line speed. He will take the top off a defense. 

I'm not for drafting Brown because we have two of him already in John Brown and Robert Foster, but best of look to whoever drafts him in keeping him healthy.

I really like Brown but as far as why you wouldn't draft him, I think your assessment was an extremely fair and honest explanation. I'd take him regardless but i totally think your thinking is incredibly logical.

• Like (+1) 1