As usual here comes the hateful Christmas gift opportunity cost of the draft

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Sometimes I read these threads, and wish I had received an official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200 shot range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock, and this thing that tells time.  Draw your own conclusions...

and THIS is why I don't send Ridge Christmas cards with a return address on them!

R-dubs...I am the fat guy in the ugly reindeer sweater.

3 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I mean no offense to anyone in particular but, between work, travel for work, family commitments and general to-dos, I have no time to study ANYONE in the draft.  I can't even imagine what having time available would be like.

Bill, here's the thing, I am also tremendously busy with family and work.  However, this board is one of the few things I do have time for on the side and considering what a great job so many of our members do around here of summarizing the drafts I really get almost all my information from here.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Only thing that bothers me about the draft is when I'm pounding the table, begging for a guy to be the pick, then the pick comes in and it's somewhere off the reservation only to see Baltimore (it's somehow always Baltimore) end up with the guy I really wanted.

But the current regime seems to be better about the whole "drafting guys half a round early" we've seen for so long.

"Dear  Chuck,

Respectfully, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Sincerely,

Donte Whitner"

(Sure...SURE...I mean, Bagel from this Board and I were SO SURE it was going to be Ngata)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I now like about 5 guys in this draft at 9 and about the same for round 2.

If one of them gets picked, great...the thing is, like with the Christmas gift you didn’t get, there will be disappointment over the 4 other guys you will no longer have the chance to draft.  It’s what I hate about this process.

We invest so much stupid time, starting in January, ramping up in February, crystallized in March due to free agency, and virus like in April.  I know more about these young men than I know about some of my relatives, and I work with some of my relatives.

I have football crushes like a 10 year old kid and I am old enough to not remember being a 10 year old kid.

And it all begins in 36 hours...as much as it will come to an end...And I will love my Stretch Armstrong, but will morn that I did not receive a Radio Flyer.

The real thing that I always worry about (not so much with Beane in command), is picking guy #6 (out of 5) and your left with 'why did they do that?' sorta feel.

Like... (how I felt at the time)

Sammy Watkins -> 'We gave up how much to get him???' :doh:

EJ Manuel -> 'Why did we pick at best a 2nd round talent SO EARLY!!!' :censored:

CJ Spiller -> 'A RB? WTF! :sick:

Mike Williams -> 'Never take Texas Linemen... they are soft!' :(

That's what I was always worried about, hoping to get the Stretch Armstrong and end of with a screwdriver. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

It's like when I wanted an Orakpo, but got a Maybin instead ?

My sentiment exactly.  I threw my remote and bout knocked my wife upside the head with it and made a mark on my wall.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I now like about 5 guys in this draft at 9 and about the same for round 2.

If one of them gets picked, great...the thing is, like with the Christmas gift you didn’t get, there will be disappointment over the 4 other guys you will no longer have the chance to draft.  It’s what I hate about this process.

We invest so much stupid time, starting in January, ramping up in February, crystallized in March due to free agency, and virus like in April.  I know more about these young men than I know about some of my relatives, and I work with some of my relatives.

I have football crushes like a 10 year old kid and I am old enough to not remember being a 10 year old kid.

And it all begins in 36 hours...as much as it will come to an end...And I will love my Stretch Armstrong, but will morn that I did not receive a Radio Flyer.

This (and having a lot less free time) is why I've mostly stopped "scouting" prospects pre-draft.  Easier for me to just read profiles and watch youtube clips of the guys we draft after the fact, and either get hyped or try to talk myself into them.  If it turns out that I think Ed Oliver is the next Aaron Donald, I won't know it unless the Bills draft him.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Then you have the people who tell you what the gift is before you open it.  Nothing i hated more is when they would zoom in on the player on the phone being picked next before it was even announced.  Also Schefter etc reporting it minutes before announcement too was also awful.  Ruined the draft experience imo

Cap, right?  Seriously.