As usual here comes the hateful Christmas gift opportunity cost of the draft

I now like about 5 guys in this draft at 9 and about the same for round 2.

If one of them gets picked, great...the thing is, like with the Christmas gift you didn’t get, there will be disappointment over the 4 other guys you will no longer have the chance to draft.  It’s what I hate about this process.

We invest so much stupid time, starting in January, ramping up in February, crystallized in March due to free agency, and virus like in April.  I know more about these young men than I know about some of my relatives, and I work with some of my relatives.

I have football crushes like a 10 year old kid and I am old enough to not remember being a 10 year old kid.

And it all begins in 36 hours...as much as it will come to an end...And I will love my Stretch Armstrong, but will morn that I did not receive a Radio Flyer.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3

Only thing that bothers me about the draft is when I'm pounding the table, begging for a guy to be the pick, then the pick comes in and it's somewhere off the reservation only to see Baltimore (it's somehow always Baltimore) end up with the guy I really wanted.

But the current regime seems to be better about the whole "drafting guys half a round early" we've seen for so long.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The NFL owns us all....

So true!! Think about how many hours we have spent, watching, discussing and reading about these guys. I can’t even fathom the amount of time. I’m comfortable in saying though, that I spend more time (significantly) on the Bills when they are not playing than actual game action. 

• Like (+1) 3

Then you have the people who tell you what the gift is before you open it.  Nothing i hated more is when they would zoom in on the player on the phone being picked next before it was even announced.  Also Schefter etc reporting it minutes before announcement too was also awful.  Ruined the draft experience imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I now like about 5 guys in this draft at 9 and about the same for round 2.

If one of them gets picked, great...the thing is, like with the Christmas gift you didn’t get, there will be disappointment over the 4 other guys you will no longer have the chance to draft.  It’s what I hate about this process.

We invest so much stupid time, starting in January, ramping up in February, crystallized in March due to free agency, and virus like in April.  I know more about these young men than I know about some of my relatives, and I work with some of my relatives.

I have football crushes like a 10 year old kid and I am old enough to not remember being a 10 year old kid.

And it all begins in 36 hours...as much as it will come to an end...And I will love my Stretch Armstrong, but will morn that I did not receive a Radio Flyer.

I get this.   Thanks.

I've always said the draft is like Christmas morning.  And it's true, there's some regret every year.  It killed me for the few moments between the announcement that the Bills had traded up, not knowing whether they would take Watkins or Mack.   I wanted both.   Bills got that one wrong. 

Last year I didn't have a problem.   Once the first two QBs were gone, my head kept telling me "Rosen."   Then the trade up happened, and my heart took over.  "Allen!  Allen!  Allen!"  I wanted the big body and the big arm for Christmas, and I was rewarded. 

Maybe you just have to wait and get a little older.  I'm finding I have lost interest in the draft.   I don't know who the best players are (except from a few discussions I've read here), and (as always) I'm following the lead of the Bills' brain trust.   Beane says he's going BPA, his team will do their homework and pick a guy.   I'm confident they will get a good one.  (No reason for the confidence other than he seems to have done pretty well so far, and I'm always inclined to trust whoever the guy is - Polian, Nix, Whaley, Beane.  

And I've stopped worrying about the ones who got away.   One thing I like about McD is that he preaches that it's not about the other teams, it's about the Bills.   It's about the talent the Bills assemble and their dedication to a process designed to build a winning franchise.   All those other guys are just obstacles who get in the way of the Bills' objective.   That's in the nature of things.  

Just get a good guy tomorrow night, or two.   And get two good guys, maybe three, the second night.   Just keep adding good guys.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So true!! Think about how many hours we have spent, watching, discussing and reading about these guys. I can’t even fathom the amount of time. I’m comfortable in saying though, that I spend more time (significantly) on the Bills when they are not playing than actual game action. 

And apparently, they are STILL playing hockey and basketball?  In April?  Who knew?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Sometimes I read these threads, and wish I had received an official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200 shot range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock, and this thing that tells time.  Draw your own conclusions...

And then 90% of the time, the Bills shoot their eye out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4