The Worst Bills Draft Picks of the 2010’s

7 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

100 out of 100 GM's would've taken Dareus there.  He was a monster prospect.  In fact, I'd venture to guess that 70 out of 100 GM's would've taken Dareus over Miller at 2.  You have to go by how much sense the pick made at the time.  For instance, Ryan Leaf was a great pick by the Chargers.  So was Mike Williams (our Mike Williams).

That draft is such an outlier because it was so bad.  A guy projected to be a decent RT went first overall.  I refuse to hold it against the Bills for taking a swing there. 

I would've taken JJ Watt and been hailed a genius

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Nathan Peterman. Close the thread.

He was a 5th round pick.  He was a good pickup for the draft slot.  What do you really expect out of a 5th round QB? I believe he was actually rated higher.  

Trading up for Zay Jones instead of staying put and just taking JuJu or Cooper Kupp.

and for EJ, we traded down, got a pick that turned into Kiko, who after one of the best rookie years ever was traded for McCoy.  Also, career qb ratings:

Derek Anderson 70.4

Matt Barkley 68.3

Josh Allen 67.9

worst qb ever EJ Manuel 77.1

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

So what? What difference does this make when there was the lack of a quarterback to get him the ball.

Mortgaging the future and drafting Watkins was equal to putting a complete new roof on a house with a crumbling foundation. 

The Bills needed a quarterback and blockers.  Watkins was a ridiculous pick considering what the Bills had and what they gave up.

Jmo.

Yet if this regime did it, they would be praised for going all out for their qb because we like them right now.  We traded up for Zay Jones.  Sammy is 10 times the player Zay is. 

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Why are we discussing such depressing stuff on the eve of the draft???

oh young fan, just you watch what happens.....

image.png.02e611bacafffd61d5c39551df56e5ab.png

actually, half the fanbase will trumpet whatever the Bills do as the most brilliant thing ever

and 1/4 will bash whatever the BIlls do

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

oh young fan, just you watch what happens.....

image.png.02e611bacafffd61d5c39551df56e5ab.png

actually, half the fanbase will trumpet whatever the Bills do as the most brilliant thing ever

and 1/4 will bash whatever the BIlls do

And that mix will redistribute through the options before training camp, before the bye week, and at season’s end.  ?

12 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And that mix will redistribute through the options before training camp, before the bye week, and at season’s end.  ?

i will pay 5% attention to it all until kickoff for Regular Season Week One

with hope in my soul....

• Like (+1) 1

"Crippled the franchise"

"Mortgaged the future"

And yet 3 years later the Bills broke a 17 year playoff drought. The exaggerations of what draft trades do to a franchise continue. For 14 years prior to the Watkins trade the Bills never made any sort of move... and yet those teams still lacked talent and couldn't get into the playoffs.

Newsflash, poor drafting, poor player evaluations and bad coaching cripple franchises.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

"Crippled the franchise"

"Mortgaged the future"

And yet 3 years later the Bills broke a 17 year playoff drought. The exaggerations of what draft trades do to a franchise continue.

This?cannot?be said?enough!!!

Sort of like how half the players projected in the first round are "generational" talents?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Why are we discussing such depressing stuff on the eve of the draft???

Because there’s not enough threads like “Bills have interest in Frankie Clarke” already

42 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trading up for Zay Jones instead of staying put and just taking JuJu or Cooper Kupp.

and for EJ, we traded down, got a pick that turned into Kiko, who after one of the best rookie years ever was traded for McCoy.  Also, career qb ratings:

Derek Anderson 70.4

Matt Barkley 68.3

Josh Allen 67.9

worst qb ever EJ Manuel 77.1

Yet if this regime did it, they would be praised for going all out for their qb because we like them right now.  We traded up for Zay Jones.  Sammy is 10 times the player Zay is. 

Funny how no one likes this take ????

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

"Crippled the franchise"

"Mortgaged the future"

And yet 3 years later the Bills broke a 17 year playoff drought. The exaggerations of what draft trades do to a franchise continue. For 14 years prior to the Watkins trade the Bills never made any sort of move... and yet those teams still lacked talent and couldn't get into the playoffs.

Newsflash, poor drafting, poor player evaluations and bad coaching cripple franchises.

i like totally forget the Bills got in, they didn't earn it and played like poop in the WC game anyway

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Im going to disagree on EJ Manuel being “perfectly fine.”  Yes they did trade down for an additional pick, but it doesn’t change the fact that EJ was not rated as a Round 1 pick or even Round 2 draft pick on most boards.  He likely was rated in the 3rd or 4th round.

In his his infinite wisdom, Buddy Nix decides to make EJ a 1st round draft pick.  He just didn’t have that type of talent and never should have been selected.  In doing so, it put unrealistic expectations on EJ in the organization and the fan base.  This pick was dreadful

Go back and look at the 2013 NFL draft.  It might be the worst of all-time.  There is literally one good player who came out of the first round (DeAndre Hopkins).  One massive bust after another.  And the QBs taken that year were disgusting.  Matt Barkley was the pick of the litter.

I've seen Torell Troup mentioned several times and I feel like not many people know the situation he ended up in. Coming in during his rookie year he had a back injury that he was told would require surgery. Bills team doctors at that time disagreed and convinced him he could get by with therapy and such. They urged him to play. Not wanting to disappoint as a rookie, he decided to play. He only made the injury worse. Had the surgery after his rookie year but then was rushed (again by Bills team doctors at that time) through his rehab and was never really the same. I'm not saying the kid would've been All-Pro or anything but he really didn't get much of a fair shake.

And as for Watkins being viewed as one of the worst picks... I disagree. Yeah, the method in which they drafted him may have not been the best but at that time, this fanbase was constantly up in arms about Buddy Nix's draft tendencies. Nix never moved around the board. Always stayed in his spot and let the board come to him. Fans hated that he never swung any trades. They felt he wasn't making enough of an effort to improve the team by standing pat on his picks. Enter Doug Whaley who runs his first draft in a polar opposite fashion than Nix, making deals, moving around the board, which fans had been clamoring for... but of course he didn't do it in the way they would've preferred. So it's like, "They never move around the board and never take any risks, that's why they'll always be horrible!" *moves around the board, takes risks* "No, not like that!" Watkins was always a no-win situation with most fans. Seemed as if people felt like if he didn't turn in 115 receptions for 1700 yards and 12 TDs every season then he was a colossal bust. Injuries have jacked up his NFL career and he'll probably never be the guy they thought he could be but I don't think he deserves to be lumped in with "the worst Bills picks of the 2010s." That's just me, tho.

Edited by blacklabel