Trace McSorley, Penn St - late round pick/position change?

I don’t think mcsorley is an nfl QB but he’s a hell of a competitor and athlete. He was a big time recruit as a safety but penn st let him play QB and he was a good (sometimes very good) college qb... his nfl potential though, I believe, lies elsewhere. He was already asked to work out at WR at the combine. I think he has Edelman qualities. I would not mind using a 6th on him. I hated him as an osu fan but the kid is a (sorry for the cliche) “football player” ... thoughts?

I was watching “Hey Rookie Welcome to the NFL” tonight and he is on (along with Metcalf) - good stuff 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I actually love McSorely. Honestly, I'd spend a seventh on him and try to make him a safety. He's smart and played a lot of DB in high school. It would be a project, but the dude is a football guy. If you look at his combine testing numbers, they are all on par with Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer, size, 40, length etc etc. I'd love to have him on our team and I think a safety conversion makes a lot of sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

He’s definitely tough, athletic and quick. Not sure what his 40time is but I would take a chance in the 6th or 7th. He’s a football player. Try WR or S. 

He always got the tough yards - he was just determined. Lowered his shoulder and sheer will. Not a big guy but thick lower body. 

• Like (+1) 1

He has gadget player potential.  You could use him in the slot or in the backfield.  I think the potential of having a player besides the QB who is able to throw the ball is really hard on defenses.  Best case scenario, I could see him as a Julian Edelman like receiver who could also throw an handful of passes during the season to gain some big chunk plays against defenses who weren't expecting it.  The question is, does he have the talent to do something like that?  I don't know the answer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

He has gadget player potential.  You could use him in the slot or in the backfield.  I think the potential of having a player besides the QB who is able to throw the ball is really hard on defenses.  Best case scenario, I could see him as a Julian Edelman like receiver who could also throw an handful of passes during the season to gain some big chunk plays against defenses who weren't expecting it.  The question is, does he have the talent to do something like that?  I don't know the answer.

I don’t know but they drafted some real yahoos last year in the 6th and 7th like Ray ray and that proehl kid who didn’t even make it out of camp. I’d rather take a player like this. 

• Like (+1) 1

No.  I'm a Penn St fan and he has been borderline terrible since his Sophomore year.  The Oline has improved, his Wr option have been good, the running game has been fantastic, he is a 50% passer.  Solid college Qb his accuracy and arm strength are below average and he has a small frame.  I think he is a camp arm.  Possible P.S option for a team if they are a spread style team.  If Arizona does go Murray he would make alot of sense as a back up.  He has stated that he is only a QB.  Edelman and others wanted to be professional football players.  Seems like Mcsorley wants to be a pro Qb.  If he went to the combine and did the wrs drills and caught passes the Edelman arguement would be fine.  Hes done nothing of the sort.  

Edited by Mat68

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know but they drafted some real yahoos last year in the 6th and 7th like Ray ray and that proehl kid who didn’t even make it out of camp. I’d rather take a player like this. 

They took 2 players to play slot.  Neither worked out.  I think Mccloud is cut before training probably after rookie camp.  

I would rather take guys that have shown they can be productive NFL WRs rather than taking a QB and hoping he can learn a new position. This WR class is just way too deep to consider McSorley as a WR. Probably at least 40 WRs I’d take before him. 

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

I enjoyed watching him play whenever a PSU game was on, definitely a competitor. And probably not an NFL Qb. 

I could see his role being like that guy on the Saints (#7?) who played QB, halfback, wildcat, receiver, etc. 

I haven’t seen much penn st lately but a taysom hill role isn’t crazy if he’s actually a grinder that can take big hits 

9 hours ago, Mat68 said:

No.  I'm a Penn St fan and he has been borderline terrible since his Sophomore year.  The Oline has improved, his Wr option have been good, the running game has been fantastic, he is a 50% passer.  Solid college Qb his accuracy and arm strength are below average and he has a small frame.  I think he is a camp arm.  Possible P.S option for a team if they are a spread style team.  If Arizona does go Murray he would make alot of sense as a back up.  He has stated that he is only a QB.  Edelman and others wanted to be professional football players.  Seems like Mcsorley wants to be a pro Qb.  If he went to the combine and did the wrs drills and caught passes the Edelman arguement would be fine.  Hes done nothing of the sort.  

If he insists on being a QB and lets it be known, assume teams will do their homework, and he will go undrafted.  I think the potential that fans see in him as a WR/W/gadget player is what NFL teams see.  I think everybody agrees as a QB he's not very good.