Gugny Poland

mead107

Am visiting Poland with my 92 year old dad in June.  He wants to visit his birth place one last time.

We’ll be in the Krakow/Rzeszow region, southeastern part of the country - doubt we’ll make it as far north as Gugny.

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Am visiting Poland with my 92 year old dad in June.  He wants to visit his birth place one last time.

We’ll be in the Krakow/Rzeszow region, southeastern part of the country - doubt we’ll make it as far north as Gugny.

It would probably be more fun to run into him at a tailgate, anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Senator said:

That is awesome ? enjoy. 

8 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Awesome you can do that with your father. Have a great and memorable trip! 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

It would probably be more fun to run into him at a tailgate, anyway. 

Last time my dad was there, he came back with a suitcase full of very good (and very strong) Polish booze that he somehow managed to sneak thru customs.

I’ll see what I can bring back for the Bills home opener - last time I did a bowling ball shot, it was Wisniowka (cherry vodka - they have the 150-proof stuff in the old country).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Last time my dad was there, he came back with a suitcase full of very good (and very strong) Polish booze that he somehow managed to sneak thru customs.

I’ll see what I can bring back for the Bills home opener - last time I did a bowling ball shot, it was Wisniowka (cherry vodka - they have the 150-proof stuff in the old country).

The NEXT bowling ball shot I do.......will be my FIRST! But God bless ya! 

I guess my life has been pretty dull in too many ways....

50 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I get a little nervous taking my 91 year old mother to the grocery store. Have an awesome time! 

1 minute ago, The Senator said:

LOL - Janek is a tough old dude.  Biggest problem I’m having right now is getting him to stop climbing ladders!

That’s some good genes there!

(But maybe with a hint of crazy?) 

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s some good genes there!

(But maybe with a hint of crazy?) 

Just a hint?

Augie, I swear, the guy’s gonna give ME a heart attack!

He has about a dozen fruit trees on what I call the family farm (it’s really just a very big back yard) and he uses this rickety old step-ladder to get just high enough to climb into the trees and pick the fruit before the birds eat it all.

Then there’s the ancient wooden extension ladder he uses to climb on the roof.

With all my own medical issues, I’m worried that I won’t be able to keep up with him once we cross the pond.

Edited by The Senator
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Very few get that high, Senator.  Very few.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, The Senator said:

Just a hint?

Augie, I swear, the guy’s gonna give ME a heart attack!

He has about a dozen fruit trees on what I call the family farm (it’s really just a very big back yard) and he uses this rickety old step-ladder to get just high enough to climb into the trees and pick the fruit before the birds eat it all.

Then there’s the ancient wooden extension ladder he uses to climb on the roof.

With all my own medical issues, I’m worried that I won’t be able to keep up with him once we cross the pond.

My grandparents had the rickety old wooden ladders too. Also had a 'farm' in the backyard. My grandmother was into her late 80s/early 90s when we scaled back her garden and took out a bunch of pear trees. Still gardened and cooked until she died. She would even occasionally try to fix or do things around the house that we had to tell her to stop doing and call someone from the family to come over and help. I used to clear the driveway with her snow blower in the winter, but she always had to be out with me and a shovel to help scrape up anything I missed. Us Pollacks can be a stubborn bunch

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2019 at 8:05 PM, The Senator said:

Gotta stay warm!

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2019 at 4:44 PM, The Senator said:

We did that 5 years ago w/ my mother and uncle. Spent time in Warsaw & Krakow, but we visited the old family farm that was south of Lodz, that is still in use by family. My grandparents house was still on site (an old rustic cabin). My uncle remembered when the Germans came and gathered them up during WW2. Anyway, incredible visit. 5-6 course meal, homemade vodka & whiskey and many family members speaking a language I didn't understand...just speaking loud and slow like that'd help. Great memories! We were supposed to go back this summer, but everyone is 5 years older now and it would have been that much tougher for us to herd the old folks around. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, The Senator said:

That's great, have a great time/trip. 

Just a tip, consider wearing some type of compression socks.  Those long flights, where you're just sitting, can be very hard on the circulation to your legs.  My wife put me on to these, and they work very well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1