Are you color blind?

CoachT

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

i have done that to a few....  thanks for letting me know it's not a funny thing....

Some comedian does a bit where he sits in a handicapped persons wheelchair and says "Wow, you really cant walk!"

Always made me think twice before saying something about a disability 

55 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bright side, your mother may be special!

Maybe Your mother has super vision and can see more colors than anybody could dream about.  She should get tested.  Read the about women that may be out there w/super vision.  From 2012:

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jul-aug/06-humans-with-super-human-vision

They are already starting to find some of these women with a fourth come in their eyes:

https://futurism.com/uk-woman-extra-cone-cell-her-eyes-can-see-more-colors

Fix your typo.  Looks bad.  Sounds worse.

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Some comedian does a bit where he sits in a handicapped persons wheelchair and says "Wow, you really cant walk!"

Always made me think twice before saying something about a disability 

CB isn't that life-crushing, i had no idea 3 people i knew for decades had it until they asked me to help them out

maybe some people were milking it to be in a wheelchair....

R-G colorblindness, the most common, is   inherited on the X chromosome and affects  about 6 percent of males. Since females have  two X chromosomes, it affects less than 0.5 percent. A friend told me that the traffic lights look the same and both look brownish. He could only tell from their position.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Wacka said:

R-G colorblindness, the most common, is   inherited on the X chromosome and affects  about 6 percent of males. Since females have  two X chromosomes, it affects less than 0.5 percent. A friend told me that the traffic lights look the same and both look brownish. He could only tell from their position.

He shouldn't drive in sections of Syracuse and other parts of county that reverse the traffic light order!!!!

https://gizmodo.com/the-story-behind-syracuses-upside-down-traffic-light-1545301615

"The Story Behind Syracuse's Upside-Down Traffic Light. Unlike nearly every other traffic light in the U.S., the traffic light up on Tipperary Hill in Syracuse, New York displays green above red. ... Legend has it that a traffic light first came to the intersection Milton Avenue and Tompkins Street in 1925."

TipperaryHill-ChrisSebes.jpg

20 minutes ago, Wacka said:

the live one is most heavily shaded on the lights

ah heck, just drive right through, beep the horn if it's gonna be a 50/50 call

I learned I was moderately red/green color blind about 10 years ago......and retroactively lost every argument we’ve ever had about color/decorating/attire, etc. Now I just bow out with “don’t ask the color blind guy!” 

(I still know what I like and what I don’t, even if it’s not what YOU see!) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

I learned I was moderately red/green color blind about 10 years ago......and retroactively lost every argument we’ve ever had about color/decorating/attire, etc. Now I just bow out with “don’t ask the color blind guy!” 

i just learned to say "yes dear", even with excellent colour distinction (including how to correctly spell colour)

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I am not color blind... But still feel your pain.  LoL...

Yet... I have no excuse to cling to. LoL...

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bright side, your mother may be special!

Maybe Your mother has super vision and can see more colors than anybody could dream about.  She should get tested.  Read about the women that may be out there w/super vision.  From 2012:

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jul-aug/06-humans-with-super-human-vision

They are already starting to find some of these women with a fourth CONE in their eyes:

https://futurism.com/uk-woman-extra-cone-cell-her-eyes-can-see-more-colors

Thanks for the share, that was fascinating. I looked, but there does not seem to be a test for this. But I wonder about my mom and daughter.

6 minutes ago, CoachT said:

Thanks for the share, that was fascinating. I looked, but there does not seem to be a test for this. But I wonder about my mom and daughter.

You're welcome... I find it extremely fascinating!  Just imagine the colors they see!

No test... Because the women that have a fourth cone do not know.  Everything is guaged around the world we see... Not them.  

Now that they found one... There can probably be an established baseline.  We as humans don't know these shades.

Like an animal... They see so many less shades then we do.  Then humans so much more.  Women with the 4th cone even more.  They are out there.  Trick is to find them.

A good chance these women have color blind son's.  That's a start.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I had to call the wife from the strore as I was picking out paint for our cabinets to remind her that she should probably be the one picking the paint haha 

We were looking for charcoal so I think I did ok, just happy my dyslexia didn't kick in at that moment

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

the live one is most heavily shaded on the lights

ah heck, just drive right through, beep the horn if it's gonna be a 50/50 call

It’s both frightening and interesting to see all the brain lamed sorts during power failures, who believe the ‘larger’ or ‘faster’ street has the right of way.  An intersection controlled by a traffic signal that has ceased to function becomes a four way stop.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:54 PM, mead107 said:

Not when it comes to ? 

I love red

Yeah, the green, not so much!

On 4/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, CoachT said:

I don't know how this turned into a wine thread but ..

White don't get me drunk at all, I can drink a whole bottle and .. nothing

Red is a great fun drunk. Love a good red wine drunk .. but gives me a headache every single time. Sometimes the headache starts that same night. Is that because I'm drinking the cheap stuff or am I just a softie?

I stay away from Cabernet.  The tannins do me in.  Blends usually OK, just no straight Cabernet.

On 4/24/2019 at 9:10 AM, row_33 said:

quite a few have some form of it in my life

a doctor a few generations back was totally colour blind

he always denied it and didn't quite pass the Air Force physical when he volunteered for WW2

his kids would always ask him for a red towel to keep him humble...  :D

--------------------------------------------

this test isn't going to make me get real close and then a screaming witch pops up and i almost wet myself....

Should have joined the army. Colour blindness is an apparently useful trait in spotting. They’re not fooled by camouflage so they can ‘see’ human created forms- straight lines and similar that don’t exist in nature more easily.

Reminds me of when the Bills, during their first couple years of existance, signed a young quarterback (Johnny Green) who was considered a real hot shot.  Turned out he continually threw interceptions in camp and the preseason.  So they tested his eyes and determined he was color blind.  Stayed briefly with the Bills and later the old NY Titans but never did much at all.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, CoachT said:

I don't know how this turned into a wine thread but ..

White don't get me drunk at all, I can drink a whole bottle and .. nothing

Red is a great fun drunk. Love a good red wine drunk .. but gives me a headache every single time. Sometimes the headache starts that same night. Is that because I'm drinking the cheap stuff or am I just a softie?

Its the sulfites... good luck finding wine without them in it.