Dwayne Haskins’ father is a strange dude

40 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

Haskins will not be a good pro. hes ranked 9th in this class on throws over 9 yards and within pff wise

when tis not a clean pocket and he has to move slightly his pff is a 53. lowest wonderlic ik that doesnt mean anything but super low score. Meyer has NEVER made a qb look bad. Haskins was mainly a checkdown guy and any bit of pressure he panics and checks it down

Dont worry about wonderlic... athlete or Not Bullis is an elite prep school and academics matter there.  He he succeded on the field and in the classroom.

Even the jocks I know that went there on athletic subsidy aren’t dummies.(albeit it’s a handful not football, but soccer and lacrosse guys, but still)   

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

12 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Kinda? I mean we are only getting the side of the story from the NJ reporter. Haskins Sr. surely could use some tips on dealing with the media. But I don’t know anything about those other sources cited by the reporter, sources that Haskins seemingly has a problem with. Maybe he does have a legit beef with some of them, not sure how any of us can know for sure one way or the other.

He is a paranoid moron who may be sabotaging his son’s career.

Are you suggesting that the reporter is making it all up?  What possible motive would he have to do such a thing?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

He is a paranoid moron who may be sabotaging his son’s career.

Are you suggesting that the reporter is making it all up?  What possible motive would he have to do such a thing?

No I think the reporter’s account and transcript of the conversation is accurate. And Haskins’ father certainly seems to have an unhealthy distrust of the media; I am just not ready to label the guy a bumpkin based on this one interaction with one reporter. Guy may simply be in over his head. 

As far as career repercussions, Kyler Murray and his dad also went on quite the disastrous press tour earlier this year where it was clear Murray received bad advice and came off as evasive and noncommittal. Hasn’t really hurt him as far as I can tell.

21 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

This is why you need an agent. Sr sounds overwhelmed and not sure how to handle it. Doesn't make him a nut or schizophrenic, it just means that he is way over his head. Who is Haskins' agent? Sr should have sent this reporter over to him.

David Mulugheta

15 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Not for nothing, but Buckeyes QBs don’t have a history of success in the NFL. Why, I don’t know, but they don’t.

That said, I was bummed when the Bills traded Cardale Jones. Thought we should have at least signed him to the practice squad.

Oh, I’m aware. I just don’t think it means anything. For any program, not just this one. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Sounds equal parts paranoid and controlling.  I don't entirely blame him for the paranoia, but guess what?  Your son is a round 1 NFL draft prospect.  You're gonna have the media sniffing around.  If you want the story to reflect well on you, it's up to you in large part to sell yourself.

....RG II 1/8's old man "take two"?...he was a meddling prize..........

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

English, please. He got a 25 on the wonderlic. Lil Kyler got a 20. Also, he played for Ryan Day. Urban wasn’t running the offense this year. Don’t even think you have a clue about him with the check down stuff. Have you seen the WR numbers with this cat at QB? 

...yes and I don't like them!?

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't know that anyone had a conversation with the mother of Lamar Jackson before the draft a year ago, so she may or may not have acted  anything like that, but like Haskins' dad exerted a lot of influence on Jackson through the pre draft process.  Jackson seems to have been unaffected by her influence.  I wouldn't be too worried about drafting him if I were a team that was interested.   He does sound a bit like "It's me and my family against the world."

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Not for nothing, but Buckeyes QBs don’t have a history of success in the NFL. Why, I don’t know, but they don’t.

That said, I was bummed when the Bills traded Cardale Jones. Thought we should have at least signed him to the practice squad.

Do Wyoming quarterbacks have a history of success in the NFL?

I don't think you can string a bunch of drafted players across decades and say definitively Haskins will fail. 

This is the full list of U of M QBs drafted in the NFL:

1941    1    10    10    Redskins    Forest Evashevski    QB
1943    3    4    19    Dodgers    George Ceithaml    QB
1946    8    3    63    Steelers    Joseph Ponsetto    QB
1947    21    9    194    Giants    Joseph Ponsetto    QB
1948    15    2    127    Lions    Pete Elliott    QB
1955    26    11    312    Lions    Duncan McDonald    QB
1958    5    5    54    Redskins    Jim Van Pelt    QB
1959    8    3    87    Browns    Bob Ptacek    QB
1965    3    5    33    Giants    Bob Timberlake    QB
1971    6    2    132    Saints    Don Moorhead    QB
1974    15    9    373    Saints    Larry Gipa    QB
1979    5    22    132    Broncos    Rick Leach    QB
1987    1    26    26    Bears    Jim Harbaugh    QB
1993    8    23    219    49ers    Elvis Grbac    QB
1995    2    13    45    Bills    Todd Collins    QB
1998    3    30    91    Broncos    Brian Griese    QB
2000    6    33    199    Patriots    Tom Brady    QB
2003    6    19    192    Texans    Drew Henson    QB
2004    7    1    202    Cardinals    John Navarre    QB
2008    2    26    57    Dolphins    Chad Henne    QB
2016    6    16    191    Lions    Jake Rudock   QB

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Do Wyoming quarterbacks have a history of success in the NFL?

I don't think you can string a bunch of drafted players across decades and say definitively Haskins will fail. 

This is the full list of U of M QBs drafted in the NFL:

1941    1    10    10    Redskins    Forest Evashevski    QB
1943    3    4    19    Dodgers    George Ceithaml    QB
1946    8    3    63    Steelers    Joseph Ponsetto    QB
1947    21    9    194    Giants    Joseph Ponsetto    QB
1948    15    2    127    Lions    Pete Elliott    QB
1955    26    11    312    Lions    Duncan McDonald    QB
1958    5    5    54    Redskins    Jim Van Pelt    QB
1959    8    3    87    Browns    Bob Ptacek    QB
1965    3    5    33    Giants    Bob Timberlake    QB
1971    6    2    132    Saints    Don Moorhead    QB
1974    15    9    373    Saints    Larry Gipa    QB
1979    5    22    132    Broncos    Rick Leach    QB
1987    1    26    26    Bears    Jim Harbaugh    QB
1993    8    23    219    49ers    Elvis Grbac    QB
1995    2    13    45    Bills    Todd Collins    QB
1998    3    30    91    Broncos    Brian Griese    QB
2000    6    33    199    Patriots    Tom Brady    QB
2003    6    19    192    Texans    Drew Henson    QB
2004    7    1    202    Cardinals    John Navarre    QB
2008    2    26    57    Dolphins    Chad Henne    QB
2016    6    16    191    Lions    Jake Rudock   QB

Did you just compare Dwayne Haskins with the GOAT? ?

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

Did you just compare Dwayne Haskins with the GOAT? ?

I believe he was pointing out that while Michigan QBs don’t have much success in the nfl historically, one did. There isn’t really anywhere that i would say “oh he’s coming from U of X? He will be a stud for sure!”

its way too dependent on the individual player, changing offensive schemes and coaches. Texas tech, Oklahoma, usc, Wyoming, UCLA, Louisville, UNC all put 1st rounders into the nfl in the last 2 years and didn’t have successful QBs prior until you go back to Carson Palmer or if you want to count Sam Bradford.. I just don’t don’t think the school means anything. Ben is the one and only from Miami of Ohio. Purdue cranked out a lot of Kyle ortons and one Drew Brees. Maybe the coach and offensive system but not the school. Kliff kingsbury/Lincoln Riley/Ryan Day etc 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I believe he was pointing out that while Michigan QBs don’t have much success in the nfl historically, one did. There isn’t really anywhere that i would day “oh he’s coming from U of X? He will be a stud for sure!”

its way too dependent on the individual player, changing offensive schemes and coaches. Texas tech, Oklahoma, usc, Wyoming, UCLA, Louisville, UNC all put 1st rounders into the nfl in the last 2 years and didn’t have successful QBs prior until you go back to Carson Palmer or if you want to count Sam Bradford.. I just don’t don’t think the school means anything. Ben is the one and only from Miami of Ohio. Purdue cranked out a lot of Kyle ortons and one Drew Brees. Maybe the coach and offensive system but not the school. Kliff kingsbury/Lincoln Riley/Ryan Day etc 

Fair enough, but there are at least a half dozen Michigan QBs on that list that enjoyed at least a small modicum of success, or at least some longevity, in the NFL.

Other than Art Schlichter, which OSU QBs have lasted the longest?

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You serious? I really get the sense that you’ve never seen Haskins play.  You did a little research, which isn’t even right (ie wonderlic). 

If he goes to a team with a good OL he will excel. If he goes to a team with a swiss cheese OL he will struggle. It's not surprising that players with certain attributes will do well if they are in a system with a smart coaching staff that emphasizes a player's strengths and minimizes his liabilities. I watched him play against Maryland. He was fabulous making beautiful throws all over the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Fair enough, but there are at least a half dozen Michigan QBs on that list that enjoyed at least a small modicum of success, or at least some longevity, in the NFL.

Other than Art Schlichter, which OSU QBs have lasted the longest?

I think you missed the point entirely. I don’t think it matters, and I’m not comparing the two schools or any school. No one ever said OSU has had successful nfl QBs, so why bother trying to compare? Haskins is the best nfl qb prospect  they’ve ever had, that’s the point.