Who Are Your Top Targets in Round 1 Assuming No Trade Up or Down?

Personally I like the following:

Unrealistic (praying for some dirty tweets, a run on QB's early,  or medical information to come out about them a few hours before the draft):

Quinnen Williams- for obvious reasons I fell like he can help control a game.  A player the offense will have to game plan against and that makes everyone on defense better.

Josh Allen- Can't help but think about how much better we became once we traded for Biscuit.  I fell like he would be that kind of difference maker.  Next level defense.  Wherever we play him.

Realistic (I imagine if things fall right then one or more could be available at our pick):

Ed Oliver- I realize measurable become a real thing int he NFL but I feel like his speed translates no matter his size.

Jonah Williams- Just watched his first draft video.  Hard not to like him.  His film matches up.  I am pretty sure he will be productive at the NFL level but I realize he can't impose his will on the defense.  Probably my only hesitation with him.

TJ Hockensen- I am not going to compare him to Gronk because that is not fair to him.  I do understand both arguments for him but I fell like if it immediately improves our run offense as well as our pass blocking offense then why would he be of any less value than a LT or RT?  Also I think this guy has the right "DNA".  He and Jonah Williams I think our the type of players our front office wants on the team.  However I feel like at 9 we do want to lean towards a game changer.  That being said a DT taken in the 1st is probably a rotational player.  One could argue that Hock is able to stay on the field on all offensive plays as well as multiple special teams plays.  More to the argument of the value of multi threat TE here over a OL or DL....just food for thought.

Montez Sweat- Leads me to this pick.  He has the measurable and production.  I really think that if he is there we should consider him (heart condition and all).  I just feel like this might be the best shot we have at a player who could take away a game.  Show up in the 4th quarter when you need a sack and beats the double team to win you the game.

Devin White- I would not be upset at all.  I don't care where he plays on our defense or where we shuffle guys to.  This guy plays at a speed we absolutely do not have.  I love Milano and Edmunds.  Devin White however changes our run and pass defense immediately.  Kid can cover some WR's at the next level I think.

Players I hope are off our draft board:

Rashan Gary- I just don't see it.  He had something like 5 sacks as a DE.  Also he seems like a tool.  If you are going to be that confident then you need to be able to back it up with production.

Brian Burns- Someone has to sell me on him.  He just seems to small for me.  I can't see him adding enough weight to play at DE.  Where does he project?  Reminds me too much of that Penn St. DE Aaron Maybin who we drafted.  Kick me in the crotch that was a horrible pick.

DK Metcalf- YEs he is beastly but just too many drops and oft injured.  There are other guys who I feel like are just as good that will be floating around at our second pick (Hakeem Butler possibly).  Too many question marks for Metcalf at 9 I feel.

Noah Fant- Unless we trade down which I eliminated from this scenario.  I hope this isn't in consideration at 9.  I am not saying he isn't a talented player.  I just don't think he contributes to the same level as Hockenson.

I realize those are thoughts.  As a Bills fan for so long I am bracing for disappointment because it has happened so much.  So I am only allowing myself to get emotionally tied to those in my "realistic" category.  I think my biggest man crush is Ed Oliver, Montez Sweat, Hockensen, and then Jonah Williams...in that order.  Some of them I like more for their looks...some more for their personalities...some because they put out (production).  I can't be too picky.

Make your case!

Edited by Fred Slacks
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Gary is the biggest news of the day....erase his name from your possibilities list.

Looks like he might need shoulder surgery too?  Also he is just one of those guys I feel like teams take off their board after interviewing him because they just don't want to deal with his crazy.

1 minute ago, JustWinPlease said:

DK Metcalf.

Unless I can get N'Keal Harry in the 2nd round, then I'll take Hockenson in round 1 and Harry in round 2.

I want to love DK but there are just too many red flags for me.  I don't think he has produced enough to warrant a top 10 pick.  In years past the top receivers have been obvious on all teams draft boards.  This year I feel like multiple guys could be the first selection depending which team ends up picking a WR first.

16 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Personally I like the following:

Unrealistic (praying for some dirty tweets, a run on QB's early,  or medical information to come out about them a few hours before the draft):

Quinnen Williams- for obvious reasons I fell like he can help control a game.  A player the offense will have to game plan against and that makes everyone on defense better.

Josh Allen- Can't help but think about how much better we became once we traded for Biscuit.  I fell like he would be that kind of difference maker.  Next level defense.  Wherever we play him.

Realistic (I imagine if things fall right then one or more could be available at our pick):

Ed Oliver- I realize measurable become a real thing int he NFL but I feel like his speed translates no matter his size.

Jonah Williams- Just watched his first draft video.  Hard not to like him.  His film matches up.  I am pretty sure he will be productive at the NFL level but I realize he can't impose his will on the defense.  Probably my only hesitation with him.

TJ Hockensen- I am not going to compare him to Gronk because that is not fair to him.  I do understand both arguments for him but I fell like if it immediately improves our run offense as well as our pass blocking offense then why would he be of any less value than a LT or RT?  Also I think this guy has the right "DNA".  He and Jonah Williams I think our the type of players our front office wants on the team.  However I feel like at 9 we do want to lean towards a game changer.  That being said a DT taken in the 1st is probably a rotational player.  One could argue that Hock is able to stay on the field on all offensive plays as well as multiple special teams plays.  More to the argument of the value of multi threat TE here over a OL or DL....just food for thought.

Montez Sweat- Leads me to this pick.  He has the measurable and production.  I really think that if he is there we should consider him (heart condition and all).  I just feel like this might be the best shot we have at a player who could take away a game.  Show up in the 4th quarter when you need a sack and beats the double team to win you the game.

Devin White- I would not be upset at all.  I don't care where he plays on our defense or where we shuffle guys to.  This guy plays at a speed we absolutely do not have.  I love Milano and Edmunds.  Devin White however changes our run and pass defense immediately.  Kid can cover some WR's at the next level I think.

Players I hope are off our draft board:

Rashan Gary- I just don't see it.  He had something like 5 sacks as a DE.  Also he seems like a tool.  If you are going to be that confident then you need to be able to back it up with production.

Brian Burns- Someone has to sell me on him.  He just seems to small for me.  I can't see him adding enough weight to play at DE.  Where does he project?  Reminds me too much of that Penn St. DE Aaron Maybin who we drafted.  Kick me in the crotch that was a horrible pick.

DK Metcalf- YEs he is beastly but just too many drops and oft injured.  There are other guys who I feel like are just as good that will be floating around at our second pick (Hakeem Butler possibly).  Too many question marks for Metcalf at 9 I feel.

Noah Fant- Unless we trade down which I eliminated from this scenario.  I hope this isn't in consideration at 9.  I am not saying he isn't a talented player.  I just don't think he contributes to the same level as Hockenson.

I realize those are thoughts.  As a Bills fan for so long I am bracing for disappointment because it has happened so much.  So I am only allowing myself to get emotionally tied to those in my "realistic" category.  I think my biggest man crush is Ed Oliver, Montez Sweat, Hockensen, and then Jonah Williams...in that order.  Some of them I like more for their looks...some more for their personalities...some because they put out (production).  I can't be too picky.

Make your case!

Pretty much exactly how i feel except I would put Jonah Williams in the hope we don’t draft him category.  I prefer Jawaan Taylor and Andre Dilliard to Williams and wouldn’t be upset if we took either, although I’d rather trade down and grab dilliard. 

I would also add Devin White to the unlikely to be there which Oliver right behind him.  Oliver is the most realistic get of all the “elite players” which I have as Quinnen, Bosa, Allen, White and Oliver.  

Edited by NewEra

Just now, NewEra said:

Pretty much exactly how i feel except I would put Jonah Williams in the hope we don’t draft him category.  I prefer Jawaan Taylor and Andre Dilliard to Williams and wouldn’t be upset if we took either, although I’d rather trade down and grab dilliard. 

I like Dillard.  I just want so many other guys before him that I didn't include his name.  Japan Taylor I realize he is dominant at RT.  If we feel he can play left then so be it I am on board.  It just scares me to take a RT that high.

2 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

I like Dillard.  I just want so many other guys before him that I didn't include his name.  Japan Taylor I realize he is dominant at RT.  If we feel he can play left then so be it I am on board.  It just scares me to take a RT that high.

I’m with you on both accounts.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Two days left Thank God.

Beane is prepared and has to wait like the rest of us to see how this thing starts to play out.

Have to believe if we stay at 9 we get a difference maker.  Not just a "hard worker".  I trust Beane though.  Even before this FA I trusted him because he finally started dumping stupid contract which I have thought all along was a serious issue.  Think of how many previous seasons the Bills have barely been in play during FA.  Now all of the sudden we are players this year and next year is shaping up the same way.  Like we finally have someone who knows WTF they are doing.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Two days left Thank God.

Beane is prepared and has to wait like the rest of us to see how this thing starts to play out.

Be honest Bear...I know you're a linebacker guy...straight up, if White is there at nine...would you take him over Taylor ? I would...then (fingers crossed) McGary in the second?

Just thinkin...

9 minutes ago, purple haze said:

1. Ed Oliver

2. T.J. Hockenson

3. Devin White

4. Andre Dillard 

If you take White...do you move Edmunds to replace Alexander? That's some nasty..

12 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

Have to believe if we stay at 9 we get a difference maker.  Not just a "hard worker".  I trust Beane though.  Even before this FA I trusted him because he finally started dumping stupid contract which I have thought all along was a serious issue.  Think of how many previous seasons the Bills have barely been in play during FA.  Now all of the sudden we are players this year and next year is shaping up the same way.  Like we finally have someone who knows WTF they are doing.

I agree with you.  There are at least 12 prospects that have top 10 talent.  We can use upgrades almost everywhere.  Other than a QB, I'm okay with any of them.  If they are really difference makes, they'll earn their way onto the field regardless of who is already on the roster today..

• Like (+1) 2

Great list! My bad didn't realize you had Jonah Williams on your list. I might add Bush to the players i'd be ok with but other than that perfect! Still crossing my fingers for Hockenson but I'm on board with this. Nice job OP

Edited by NeverOutNick
misread initially
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hockerson is by far the #1. he will be an elite tight end. Hockerson would be perfect to build with Allen.

Ed Oliver or the tackle from washington st would be fine to

Anyone but R.Gary. Trust me as a michigan fan we dont want him

Edited by FreeMaxB585
  • Like (+1) 1