Seattle trades Frank Clark to Chiefs for 2019 1st and 2020 2nd

I have been really keen on the Bills signing Clark but I understand why they didn’t pick him up looking at the picks given up..

So plan B - onto Ziggy for one year ?? He is not a bad player but again you have to  roll the dice on him not being injured (another one!) which  recent history suggests is a major risk..

Not overly keen on Sweat or Burns at 9... Maybe they take a flier in the 3rd or 4th on Joe Jackson or Maxx Crosby or Winovich and hope for the best..

Hughes might be getting that extension soon..

56 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm on the fence. 

Bills would be much better served at this point in their rebuild with an instant impact veteran pass rusher on the defensive line rather than a rookie whom in all likelihood is going to struggle and take some time to develop. 

The 9th overall pick is hard to give up I get it. 

This is not necessarily true at all and I disagree with your “all likelihood“ qualifier.  If you pick an edge rusher with the ninth pick you absolutely expect some positive impact. Doesn’t have to be pro bowl level but clearly significant.  Anything beyond that would be gravy. In this case, anyway, I will keep the first pick. 

4 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

two ultra-productive older players for, essentially, the price of Clark.

Fixed.   

At 26 when training camp starts, Clark's career is still rising.     Houston's definitely headed downhill and Ford at 28 years old is sure to get there more quickly than Clark...

29 minutes ago, cle23 said:

They got a second next year for Ford so it's basically like giving them a one this year and swapping thirds. Also, Clark has a much better NFLhistory and Ford is kind of a one-year Wonder.

both of them have 10 or more sacks in 2 out of the last 3 years..... again, IMO, ford and keeping my first this year and 2nd next year is more valuable to me than clark at face value. there is obviously more underneath that surface that we don't know about. 

28 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....now with another example of the $$$ market lines being drawn with the Clark signing, it seems to be clear what the Texans would have to come up with and it looks like their cap space is :2019-$40+ mil; 2020-$103+ mil....why would they be inclined to dump Clowney?........

They got plenty of money.  So my question is why haven't they signed him to a long term contract?

Their GM, HC and DC are all the same from the time they draft Clowney.

If they signed him earlier last year to a long term they could of got him for less $'s.

Something is peculiar about this.  Maybe they just don't want him long term?

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

both of them have 10 or more sacks in 2 out of the last 3 years..... again, IMO, ford and keeping my first this year and 2nd next year is more valuable to me than clark at face value. there is obviously more underneath that surface that we don't know about. 

Ford has 30.5 sacks in 67 games started. Clark has 35 in 33 games started. 

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Fixed.   

At 26 when training camp starts, Clark's career is still rising.     Houston's definitely headed downhill and Ford at 28 years old is sure to get there more quickly than Clark...

The Chiefs got fleeced by Seattle seems to be the consensus grade for this trade.

53 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They don't have to by any means.    Neither did Seattle have to part with Clark really.   

But maybe they want to try to extend DeShaun Watson long term after next season.........and in the process maybe save some significant money and distribute that cost as opposed to waiting.  

Let's face it............offense is the long term play in the NFL.......that's what you can keep together and build on......a top defense is hard to keep intact and consistent.

Getting a stud LT for a QB with a reconstructed knee sounds good..........and the report is that they think one is there at #9.

I'm not convinced there is a great LT at #9 but if they do then that's an important get for them.  

...thanks for the assessment.....didn't really follow all of the details leading up to the Clark decision......uncertainty of signing tender and the Wilson booty?...

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I find this trade rather curious.  The Chiefs released Kareem Hunt last season for his alleged domestic violence videotape.  He hasn't been convicted of anything yet.  Then you have Tyreek Hill who is accused of breaking his son's arm.  Now they traded for Clark who has his own domestic violence issues.  When will the Chiefs wise up?  

While i understand why chiefs did what they did, i am glad bills did not make this deal. He is apparently getting 65 million guaranteed which is more than a lot of guys get who i think are better and i will be  interested to see his motivation now.

43 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The Chiefs got fleeced by Seattle seems to be the consensus grade for this trade.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Not really at all..... To me I would make the trade.  Be like drafting Frank Clark per say. But if it was two first rounders no way. Frank Clark is a pretty good player.

I am merely commenting on the consensus among analysts, sportswriters pundits etc. regarding the trade. Personally I am glad it wasn't the Bills.

Hughes and Zo both graded higher than Clark on PFF for whatever its worth. Here is their top players for last season.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-top-101-players-from-the-2018-nfl-season

Hughes Zo and Hyde made the list. Houston and Ford both did as well. Clark not on it.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I think I said exactly what I meant.... sorry it got you upset. I wasn't criticizing our top 5 GM.??

Others seem to have gotten the joke. I’ll try to dumb down my sarcasm next time. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

While i understand why chiefs did what they did, i am glad bills did not make this deal. He is apparently getting 65 million guaranteed which is more than a lot of guys get who i think are better and i will be  interested to see his motivation now.

Bills and Chiefs are in different parts of the road in the journey to the Superbowl 

Buffalo is still building, and holds a higher value pick than #29