Hot for School Superintendent

35 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I left Rochester in 1997....   so...  my #'s may have been dated

$35 K in Roch got me $50 K  in Raleigh at Ericcson 

all these years later in DC ....  double that 

Congrats but that salary still seems barely enough to live near DC.

On 4/23/2019 at 12:37 PM, teef said:

this is a weird point to take away, but that's a particularly small salary for a superintendent.  

Small salary for a small school...

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/windham-high-school-profile/44288

Windham High School serves 176 students in grades 9-12.

Total school size has to be under 600 students just based on the high school size.

EDIT: Found this...

http://www.windham-schools.org/Content2/400

The district is made up of two buildings: Katherine Thomas Elementary (Grades PreK-4) and Windham Junior and Senior School (Grades 5-12) with an enrollment of around 500 students.

Edited by Just Jack

20 hours ago, Augie said:

Respectfully, why? The numbers above make it look like it’s on the low end. How long ago were you in the market? Sometimes it’s wise to pay more for someone who will get better results. I remember being surprised the local public hospital administrator made close to $900k about 15 years ago, but she did a great job. Left for a 25-50% raise elsewhere. She was valued for the results she got. 

I’m sure much of it comes down to the size of the operation you are running. I have a friend who has been CEO of community banks. The top dog, but fewer digits on the balance sheet. A person WAAAY down the list at a much bigger bank will make FAR more. It’s a matter of digits, count the digits involved. 

Let's leave Ms Amaro out of this response.   I retired as Sup't of Schools from an upstate NY suburban school district over twenty years ago.  The district ranked in the top five districts in the area.  The district's budget was about $18,000,000.  My final years salary just cracked $100,000., benefits, typical for the time, probably worth another $7,000.  Three public employee unions, food service issues, school bus management and other assorted non-learning matters required a great deal of attention.  It's fair to say my dance card was filled each and every day.

I can't imagine the impact of the stressors that directly impact public education today.  Among the things that were not even considered twenty-two years ago are school shootings and the resulting concentric circles of impact on all schools; technology in the classroom ranging from computers as learning tools to iPhones as surreptitious communicators among students in the classroom; non-custodial parents and other not-welcome adults seeking access to students and staff; immunization questions; social services functions that have expanded exponentially....that's enough of a list to hint at the breadth of responsibilities shouldered by school administrators.  Needless to say, there were days that I couldn't even see reading, writing and 'rithmetic happening.

So, yeah, it's No to that school district's $96,000 in the 21st Century.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

Speaking as a former school superintendent, permit me to say No to Ms Amaro for what she's offering; and damn No to the school board offering $96,000 for administering their school district.

Wow... No wonders things are so terrible.  We have poor, working minority communities here and the fat cat soops are making a grand a day on pension.  Same with the village managers.

Time to bail on the pensions and cut them loose.

No offense.... But my wife heads a library district... And makes less.  Because it's fair.  No way should admin be making that much over the rank and file.

This is why we are in the mess. Education is sink hole. Admin ain't God.

On 4/23/2019 at 4:30 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....here's the District's Superintendent salary for my town in Roch-Cha-Cha area....PLUS fringes............

approx. 5,000 students:

#2 Kenneth J. Graham Jr. - $251,756.67

Monroe County

Start date: 2/4/1988

...our Monroe County ranks #2 in NYS..............

#2 Monroe County

#1 Susan K. Allen - $282,760.00
East Irondequoit Central School District
Start date: 1/26/1987

#2 Kenneth J. Graham Jr. - $251,756.67
Rush-Henrietta Central School District
Start date: 2/4/1988

#3 Barbara A. Deane - $240,533.62
Rochester City School District
Start date: 8/31/1983

Ha, my superintendent gets more than yours ? Though mine is heading for the unemployment line.