Hot for School Superintendent

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....here's the District's Superintendent salary for my town in Roch-Cha-Cha area....PLUS fringes............

approx. 5,000 students:

#2 Kenneth J. Graham Jr. - $251,756.67

Monroe County

Start date: 2/4/1988

...our Monroe County ranks #2 in NYS..............

#2 Monroe County

#1 Susan K. Allen - $282,760.00
East Irondequoit Central School District
Start date: 1/26/1987

#2 Kenneth J. Graham Jr. - $251,756.67
Rush-Henrietta Central School District
Start date: 2/4/1988

#3 Barbara A. Deane - $240,533.62
Rochester City School District
Start date: 8/31/1983

Wow, the $96k surprised me on the low side, but those numbers surprise me on the high side a bit too. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wow, the $96k surprised me on the low side, but those numbers surprise me on the high side a bit too. 

...for my school district, the annual budget is $127 mil.....thus the superintendent getting paid $251+ is certainly reasonable if he was running a $127 million dollar company in the private sector.....for years here, they made it a point to publish salaries and nylons got knotted big time....but the majority of the ten cent yappers would never equate budget to private sector CEO....that's the same gang waiting for the EBT card re-load, installing urinal cakes at Mickey D's, and using the "Express Dentistry Line" at Walmart for "15 teeth or less"...go figure......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...for my school district, the annual budget is $127 mil.....thus the superintendent getting paid $251+ is certainly reasonable if he was running a $127 million dollar company in the private sector.....for years here, they made it a point to publish salaries and nylons got knotted big time....but the majority of the ten cent yappers would never equate budget to private sector CEO....that's the same gang waiting for the EBT card re-load, installing urinal cakes at Mickey D's, and using the "Express Dentistry Line" at Walmart for "15 teeth or less"...go figure......

As Sammy reminded us, the world is full of people with “little jobs” who resent those who do well in life. 

It was stupid to say it, but...... don’t be a hater. I’m happy for people who do well. It’s not easy to get there and someone has to be on top financially. That does NOT mean you “won” at life. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

As Sammy reminded us, the world is full of people with “little jobs” who resent those who do well in life. 

It was stupid to say it, but...... don’t be a hater. I’m happy for people who do well. It’s not easy to get there and someone has to be on top financially. That does NOT mean you “won” at life. 

...these are well educated people doing their jobs and the route cause of disdain is jealousy....."you are what you want to make yourself out to be" is my mantra....today equals gimme ...gimme.....for nothin'..........

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Speaking as a former school superintendent, permit me to say No to Ms Amaro for what she's offering; and damn No to the school board offering $96,000 for administering their school district.

Respectfully, why? The numbers above make it look like it’s on the low end. How long ago were you in the market? Sometimes it’s wise to pay more for someone who will get better results. I remember being surprised the local public hospital administrator made close to $900k about 15 years ago, but she did a great job. Left for a 25-50% raise elsewhere. She was valued for the results she got. 

I’m sure much of it comes down to the size of the operation you are running. I have a friend who has been CEO of community banks. The top dog, but fewer digits on the balance sheet. A person WAAAY down the list at a much bigger bank will make FAR more. It’s a matter of digits, count the digits involved. 

Edited by Augie

24 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

Speaking as a former school superintendent, permit me to say No to Ms Amaro for what she's offering; and damn No to the school board offering $96,000 for administering their school district.

,,,,good job bud.....and I'd bet every Super penny was well earned when comparing district budget to private CEO running  similar size private company...so one has to ignore the ignorant and misinformed....sure school taxes are regressive...I'm 66 and still paying school taxes despite my kids being out of the system for 24 years...educators/teachers fault?...seriously??...

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

,,,,good job bud.....and I'd bet every Super penny was well earned when comparing district budget to private CEO running  similar size private company...so one has to ignore the ignorant and misinformed....sure school taxes are regressive...I'm 66 and still paying school taxes despite my kids being out of the system for 24 years...educators/teachers fault?...seriously??...

Where I live when one of you turns 62 the school board property tax drops off your house. I kind of hate that, but one of my neighbors said his taxes went from $7,500 to $2,500. WOW! It upsets me, because I am PRO EDUCATION, but I guess they work all that into the math. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...these are well educated people doing their jobs and the route cause of disdain is jealousy....."you are what you want to make yourself out to be" is my mantra....today equals gimme ...gimme.....for nothin'..........

However when the kids come out dumb as a box of hammers, are they really doing their jobs??

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Where? 

Most teachers I know are making 40k

she was in the Greece district here in rochester.  as others have mentioned, it's not the norm, but you can look up all salaries, and it's pretty surprising how much a few teachers get.  it's not a complaint on my part...just and observation.  in nys, the benefits really make up for salary.  that being said, 40k is still low for a teacher.

13 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Women traditionally make less than men. 

if we gave them more, they'd probably just end up spending the money on tampons.

16 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I believe the term is ‘root cause’ and the disdain usually has more to do with the lack of accountability in the public sector, which is why your CEO comparison is faulty.

Just now, KD in CA said:

I believe the term is ‘root cause’ and the disdain usually has more to do with the lack of accountability in the public sector, which is why your CEO comparison is faulty.

...point was equating salary to district size vs private sector company size...CERTAINLY would not argue lack of accountability point......one year,  I served on my District's Budget Advisory Committee....for that particular year, I believe the budget was $71 million......after all of the "untouchable items" were removed from the discussion and if memory serves me, we were to evaluate what savings could be available from the remaining $250,000 of the budget that was "subject to change".....HUGE waste of time....and if the budget did not pass, District could enact the Contingency Budget which was MORE than the one voted on!....makes perfect sense, right??.........

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Location location location 

40K in Rochester is doubled or more in wealthy DC schools

i think even in rochester that would be a bit low.  ny pays their teachers well for the most part.

1 hour ago, teef said:

i think even in rochester that would be a bit low.  ny pays their teachers well for the most part.

I left Rochester in 1997....   so...  my #'s may have been dated

$35 K in Roch got me $50 K  in Raleigh at Ericcson 

all these years later in DC ....  double that 

24 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I left Rochester in 1997....   so...  my #'s may have been dated

$35 K in Roch got me $50 K  in Raleigh at Ericcson 

all these years later in DC ....  double that 

oh wow.  that's a nice hike up.  i know that ny teachers are really sought after in other states.  my wife is a school psychologist, and right when we met, she was getting recruited to airzona.  great salary and benefits with a signing bonus.   she ended up not going, but it was a good package.

• Like (+1) 1