"The Bills go after my highest-rated prospect", NFL.com suggests trading up to 2 for Q. Williams

stosh64

I will be happy if they trade up, trade down or stay at 9, as long as they don't take Rashan Gary.

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s the #1 guy on my board, so I’d actually be ok with this based on talent and fit.  My only fear would be his Alabama connections with Marcel.  I’m quite sure Marcel would have nothing but negativity to say about our team.  Could that affect Quinnens play and resigning him going forward?  Kind of silly, but in today world, it’s something to think about....especially when giving up a future 1st

This is not even close to how it works.

• Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Figster said:

I'm game If Mcbeane and company are game because my trust in the process has grown leaps and bounds. Buffalo's criteria for a move like this would be well thought out and the player deemed a good fit IMO. Like Cleveland I feel the Buffalo Bills are gearing to make a serious push for a championship.

Exactly, I have faith in our FO and whatever they decide to do I will support...for now. :)

I was just curious what the more knowledgeable members here thought of the idea.  Thanks for the feedback everyone.:worthy:

Go BILLS

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Wiz said:

With all the one year deals being handed out I don't know why they would risk giving up next years first. 

When they moved to get Allen last year, one of the things Beane harped on was how important it was to do it without sacrificing next years first round pick.

I belive you’re right... 

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

When they moved to get Allen last year, one of the things Beane harped on was how important it was to do it without sacrificing next years first round pick.

I belive you’re right... 

That was last year...Beane undoubtedly suspected the team would struggle in 2018 with a rookie QB, a patchwork O-line and a weak WR group.  Beane might believe the Bills' 2020 pick will be much later in the draft and that their needs will be fewer...  

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

That was last year...Beane undoubtedly suspected the team would struggle in 2018 with a rookie QB, a patchwork O-line and a weak WR group.  Beane might believe the Bills' 2020 pick will be much later in the draft and that their needs will be fewer...  

Could be. But The pattern i see is that they value moving up to get solid players they like with current assets.  Let’s see 

The whole thing sounds far fetched-generally speaking future draft picks are always deeply discounted and are used by GMs who are afraid of losing their job if this season doesn't bail them out-Beane doesn't look to be in that situation IMO. Doing deals like this one usually are done out of desperation. If I was the GM and they convinced me Williams is the next Donald I would give up whatever is necessary this year but no way next year's number one. I would rather give up all my picks this year than next year's #1. If you are thinking sustained success number #1s next year are just as important as number ones this year IMO.

Edited by Toesy
typo

4 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

No way.  Do not trade up in the first for a Dlineman, when its a DL heavy draft.  It would be just like trading up for Watkins in a Wr heavy draft.  Im all for trading up in other rounds, but not in the 1st - too expensive

+1. Fundamentally i totally agree, but the big thing for me would be next years 1st. Thats the deal breaker. I wasn't against it last year for a qb, but i suppose thats where personally id draw a line in the sand. Also id guess they value the pick too much but ya never know!

5 hours ago, stosh64 said:

I love this idea, I'm curious what you guys think of it.

NFL.com

Why would you not take Bosa??? I like Q a lot, but Bosa would be a better pick.

We can find a BIG body later in the draft for fill the DT spot...  you can't find another Bosa.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I can't imagine Beane giving up next year's first. QB is the only position I'd do that for, and he isn't looking for a QB. 

I think k a trade down is more likely than a trade up.

Even last year, when they knew there was a good chance they were going to move up to take the QB they didn't give away this year's 1st. Beane did everything in his power to maneuver around the board and hold onto the pick.

I can't see him giving away next year's 1st at all. I could see him moving up to the 5 or 6 spot if someone he really likes falls but he wont' be giving out a 1st round pick to do so.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Agreed with Gary.  

If we trade up for him, I hope that you’re right.  Never know in today’s world.  It’s a different generation and these kids think much differently.

You think it's possible that this kid would listen to a vastly underachieving druggie, who last played at Alabama in 2010, speak ill of the Bills organization, which would have a negative impact on his play as a pro in the year 2019?  Did you ever think he might instead talk to, I don't know, Robert Foster and Levi Wallace- GUYS HE PLAYED WITH A YEAR AGO?!?!?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, metzelaars_lives said:

You think it's possible that this kid would listen to a vastly underachieving druggie, who last played at Alabama in 2010, speak ill of the Bills organization, which would have a negative impact on his play as a pro in the year 2019?  Did you ever think he might instead talk to, I don't know, Robert Foster and Levi Wallace- GUYS HE PLAYED WITH A YEAR AGO?!?!?

I don’t know anything about Quinnens and Marcel’s relationship.  Like I said, it would be my only WORRY.  I didn’t say that he WOULD listen to him or that he WOULD hate buffalo.  It would be my only WORRY.  I take it that you know about their relationship and you know that he is close with Levi and Foster.  I don’t know anything about any of their relationships and I won’t pretend that I do.  

Love Williams but dont want to use assets to go up that far. Much rather trade back and go after Dexter Lawrence or Jeffrey Simmons who might be as good or better than Williams. (Who really knows) much better trading back in the first then trading late picks to get more seconds and thirds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If they are buying into “this is a playoff team”, and will have the cap to acquire FA’s next season like they did this year, then who cares if they give up what would be a late 1st for arguably the best player in the draft????  That’s ridiculous. 

I would be all for this if Buffalo gets THE top player in the entire draft class.  Giving up next years first which I’m sure Beane is hoping is atleast in the late 20’s considering the roster he has put together, and some extra late round picks the Bills have to spare doesn’t seem like a terrible price to pay to move up from 9 to 2 if they think Williams will be the piece that takes the defense from very good to elite.

Bold move. I wouldn't mind. We need an elite talent that can change the momentum of a game and we don't have 1 on either side of the ball right now. Q Williams is also an off field leader that has all the drive he needs to be the best. Dareus should have been that guy, but was unmotivated.

My model thinks that you don't give up that first rounder unless you have a short window to the Super Bowl.

Buffalo is still building themselves up and will need that first rounder.

I am beginning to see Christian Wilkins in our near future.