Fear The Walking Dead

Typical mission life is 15 to 20 years for most satellites.

The ISS may crash down in large chunks, not the smaller birds.   

-  CONTROLLED RE-ENTRY OF SATELLITES AT THE END OF LIFE  - 

Satellites often burn up completely on re-entry because of the flight path that puts them at an angle to where they would burn up. 

When the occasion occurs, satellites with Heat Resistant metals are directed to a pre-determined area, region, to which the debris is to fall. This is considered as being the best option in terms of safety as one can ensure that the object will fall in specific low-populated regions

I guess in an Apocalypse there is no -  CONTROLLED RE-ENTRY OF SATELLITES AT THE END OF LIFE  

To your point 

The world's oldest scientific satellite is still in orbit. Nearly 60 years ago, the US Navy launched Vanguard-1 as a response to the Soviet Sputnik.

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

21 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I just pulled a random # out of my :censored:

It took how many years to get from Atlanta to Alexandria and the time Rick  "left" the show and add 7 years to that  (6 in the time jump, plus one winter)  

I ballpark it at 10 years in my head, but I'm sure I'm round up a bit.  Judith's a good measuring stick for this.  Some quick googling actually lists her as 10 years old, which surprises me a bit.  So I guess they're right around 11-12 years into the zombie apocalypse.  I never really paid too much attention to the timeline, but since the show is in season 10, I guess that means all of this is happening right around present day for us, which is a nice little coincidence with the time jumps.

Would that make it roughly at least 30 years old satellite since it's Soviet?

12 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

At least 30 

It's one thing to acknowledge satellites would be falling and another to write into the show that of everywhere on Earth that the thing landed within walking distance and created just one fire.  They had to cross Alpha's border because of a satellite crash?  Maybe later in the season Daryll will have to waterski into Oceanside to rescue everyone and will be forced to jump over a shark.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It's one thing to acknowledge satellites would be falling and another to write into the show that of everywhere on Earth that the thing landed within walking distance and created just one fire.  They had to cross Alpha's border because of a satellite crash?  Maybe later in the season Daryll will have to waterski into Oceanside to rescue everyone and will be forced to jump over a shark.

:lol:

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The only thing I didn't like was how quickly everyone from Alexandria got there.  They've never really established the distance between Oceanside and Alexandria, but this one made it seem like they're right on top of each other.

Maybe I would have liked a different reason for the fire, something a bit more common, but at least it wasn't a beer bottle shaped hot air balloon or an army of children building a functional airplane.

48 minutes ago, shrader said:

The only thing I didn't like was how quickly everyone from Alexandria got there.  They've never really established the distance between Oceanside and Alexandria, but this one made it seem like they're right on top of each other.

Maybe I would have liked a different reason for the fire, something a bit more common, but at least it wasn't a beer bottle shaped hot air balloon or an army of children building a functional airplane.

My guess ....   Its the Chesapeake or even the Potomac River where it meets the Chesapeake.

From Alexandria, to get to the ocean,  you have to go into DC to get to the Chesapeake before you need the bridge 950] to get you to Delaware / Maryland  

31 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

My guess ....   Its the Chesapeake or even the Potomac River where it meets the Chesapeake.

From Alexandria, to get to the ocean,  you have to go into DC to get to the Chesapeake before you need the bridge 950] to get you to Delaware / Maryland  

I don't think they ever really said it was Alexandria Va.  It was a housing development called Alexandria.  Who knows?

• Like (+1) 2

Is the end near???

‘The Walking Dead’ Season 10 Premiere Viewership Tumbles To Series Low; AMC Premiere Subs Rise With Early Availability

The tale that is told is that TWD fell 34% in sets of eyeballs from the kickoff to Season 9 on October 7 last year.  That also marks a slide of 3% in total viewers from the previous series low of Season 9’s 15th episode, the “The Calm Before” of March 24 this year.

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Is the end near???

‘The Walking Dead’ Season 10 Premiere Viewership Tumbles To Series Low; AMC Premiere Subs Rise With Early Availability

The tale that is told is that TWD fell 34% in sets of eyeballs from the kickoff to Season 9 on October 7 last year.  That also marks a slide of 3% in total viewers from the previous series low of Season 9’s 15th episode, the “The Calm Before” of March 24 this year.

That whole thing with the subscription service really blurs things.  I'm not really familiar with their other shows beyond Better Call Saul, so I don't know how many people are really flocking to that service.  It doesn't feel like they produce their shows quickly enough to make it worthwhile.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Is the end near???

Well, my wife and I were fans of TWD and FTWD -- watched them both religiously -- but we haven't watched TWD since the first couple of episodes post-Rick, and we haven't watched FTWD since that weird crazy lady who left boxes for people.  Don't miss either one.  Totally jumped the shark.

Maggie is due to return next season when Michonne will be leaving and I assume taking the kids with her.

After Negan is set free to reign holy terror on the whisperers.

what 30 to 60 year old tech they will get from the "Space Junk"  seems useless,   

but apparently it will come of use mid season 

42 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Whelp ......   A little something about Beta's backstory... 

Is he losing faith?  Are the group members also thinking clearer?  

I wish we could get a sense for how many of them there really are.  Any shots so far have made it look like a small group.  So even with the herd, I wonder how they can take on 3 communities at once.  Then again, it looks like Beta might as well be a one man army.

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

I wish we could get a sense for how many of them there really are.  Any shots so far have made it look like a small group.  So even with the herd, I wonder how they can take on 3 communities at once.  Then again, it looks like Beta might as well be a one man army.

they use the "herds" they gather to do damage.  

Unless they have guns .....  attacking on 3 fronts would be impossible.    

The good guys have to be on High Alert. 

Release Negan!!!   And do it NOW

The satellite crashing relatively undamaged within walking distance sure feels like a shark jump risk. And Eugene is going to MacGuyver some 1985 USSR tech into a fusion powered robot? I'll give them some rope but not much. The writers would be smart to stash that satellite in the Jersey Pine Barrens with the guy from the Sopranos. 

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

The satellite crashing relatively undamaged within walking distance sure feels like a shark jump risk. And Eugene is going to MacGuyver some 1985 USSR tech into a fusion powered robot? I'll give them some rope but not much. The writers would be smart to stash that satellite in the Jersey Pine Barrens with the guy from the Sopranos. 

Eugenius  will reconfigure the Ruski Space Laser to blast the Walkers and Talkers