Who are the Bills' most likely picks at 9? (Excellent Cover 1 article, now unlocked)

Logic

If any of you are unfamiliar with Erik Turner and his Cover 1 website, let me just say: Climb out from under your rock, because this is some of the best Bills coverage on the planet.

Cover 1 has a great deep dive into who the Bills are most likely to take in round 1 if they stay at pick 9. They look at all the Bills' official visits, Beane and McDermott's draft history, and so on. It's about as thorough of an investigation into this topic as you'll find. Until today, the article was locked and available to members only. No more. The article is now unlocked and available for all. I'm not gonna paste much of the article because I want to get these guys clicks. They deserve them. Below is a small introductory snippet, but I suggest you all click the link and read all the way through.

Outstanding work as usual here by the Cover 1 crew.

https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-2019-nfl-draft-first-round-pick-predictions/

The 2019 NFL Draft is right around the corner. According to Bills GM Brandon Beane, the draft board — typically consisting of 115-140 players — should be set by Wednesday, April 17, 2019. This means the team will have met with a majority of the prospects at some point this draft season. While not all of the visits are disclosed by the team, players, or agents, a majority of them are leaked in some manner. So based on my extensive research, let’s analyze the visits on page one. I’ll then share who I think the Bills will ultimately choose in round one on page two.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 9

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

The 2019 NFL Draft is right around the corner. According to Bills GM Brandon Beane, the draft board — typically consisting of 115-140 players — should be set by Wednesday, April 17, 2019. This means the team will have met with a majority of the prospects at some point this draft season. While not all of the visits are disclosed by the team, players, or agents, a majority of them are leaked in some manner. So based on my extensive research, let’s analyze the visits on page one. I’ll then share who I think the Bills will ultimately choose in round one on page two.

That is good work evaluating the visits, workouts and predicting who the pick will be. For those with little time, he is predicting Hockenson

I feel like he wrote a lot more than needed to try to make a point he didn’t really get to...

to argue tre white was an official visit because he visited beane before Whaley picked him and that he thinks hock had a secret visit that his agent is hiding so therefore because the bills always draft an official visitor and hocks a strong possibility because he was actually maybe a visitor really didn’t need THAT much. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

If any of you are unfamiliar with Erik Turner and his Cover 1 website, let me just say: Climb out from under your rock, because this is some of the best Bills coverage on the planet.

I’m a subscriber and it is well worth the subscription. Some of the best work I’ve seen regarding the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

That is good work evaluating the visits, workouts and predicting who the pick will be. For those with little time, he is predicting Hockenson

Hard to say as there are many variables in the situation. He did suggest that DT is higher on the radar but Hockenson may be BPA. He said this is also because of depth in DT’s in this draft. 

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I feel like he wrote a lot more than needed to try to make a point he didn’t really get to...

to argue tre white was an official visit because he visited beane before Whaley picked him and that he thinks hock had a secret visit that his agent is hiding so therefore because the bills always draft an official visitor and hocks a strong possibility because he was actually maybe a visitor really didn’t need THAT much. 

I like the thoroughness and detail. The board here would pick him apart if he didn't include all of it .

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I like the thoroughness and detail. The board here would pick him apart if he didn't include all of it .

But when the thoroughness and detail doesn’t really back his hypothesis and he still shoehorns it... well...

ill stick with with my opinion that this wasn’t actually a great article, even as a fan of most of his content.

• Like (+1) 5

He thinks Devin White is not an option because he plays MLB and the Bills have Edmunds. Edmunds played OLB in college and I think he would be very effective outside. White in the middle and Edmunds and Milano outside would be a top LB trio for many years to come.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

He thinks Devin White is not an option because he plays MLB and the Bills have Edmunds. Edmunds played OLB in college and I think he would be very effective outside. White in the middle and Edmunds and Milano outside would be a top LB trio for many years to come.

This keeps coming up on the board and the question that never gets answered is "who comes off the field when they go to nickel?"

I can't find the percentage anywhere but I bet the Bills were in nickel/dime looks close to half of their defensive snaps. Which one of the 3 is missing half the snaps then?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, JM57 said:

This keeps coming up on the board and the question that never gets answered is "who comes off the field when they go to nickel?"

I can't find the percentage anywhere but I bet the Bills were in nickel/dime looks close to half of their defensive snaps. Which one of the 3 is missing half the snaps then?

Milano and they don’t run nickel as much

or they rotate packages a bit to keep guys fresher

or the back up lb filling in because someone’s hurt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Assuming Oliver and Q Williams are gone, if Devin White is there at #9, you take him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Maybe Edmunds moves up to end and rushes the QB and Lawson sits?

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Would you trust the LB to cover a slot WR or back lined up out of the backfield over a DB?

He’s taking a set of information and molding it to take the guy he wants them to take.

You can take that same information, use a different variable to conclude another player.

Its convoluted at best.

You have to take Devin White.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I'm with him on Devin White. I think the last thing in the world they want is yet another rookie calling the defensive signals at MLB.

IMO if they could keep Edmunds at MLB another year and put White outside while he learns for a year for a possible future switch, the pick would make sense. From what little I can tell, you don't really want White anywhere but MLB.

I don't think we pick him.

And by the way .... Hamp Cheevers? Awesome football name. Hadn't heard of him before. Interesting to know he was one of our 30 visits.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I’m a subscriber and it is well worth the subscription. Some of the best work I’ve seen regarding the Bills.

He's just outstanding.  I read everything I can from him.