Why TJ Hockenson at 9

Josh Allen looks like the Bills quarterback of the future, finally. And the Bills have given him better wide receivers and offensive lineman.

Allen looked good without a legitimate running game, without an adequate offensive line, and with very little production from the tight ends.

Hard to argue that these areas were not team weaknesses last year. Ditto for the Bills short passing game.

Hockenson is an excellent run blocker and high quality physical receiver (760 yards, last year,  15.5 per catch).

If  he is as good as he seems he will have a significant impact in all three areas.   It is hard to imagine that another player, right now, could have more of an impact than TJ Hockenson.

As Gronkowski leaves, one of the most important players in the Patriots' success, we get a similar player.

Edited by Mister Defense

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I would put Fant and Metcalf in the same category of “less than desirable hands”.

Agreed.  While I’d prefer others at 9, if he’s the pick, I completely understand why.

28 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Josh Allen looks like the Bills quarterback of the future, finally. And the Bills have given him better wide receivers and offensive lineman.

Allen looked good without a legitimate running game, without an adequate offensive line, and with very little production from the tight ends.

Hard to argue that these areas were team weaknesses last year. Ditto for the Bills short passing game.

Hockenson is an excellent run blocker and high quality physical receiver (760 yards, last year,  15.5 per catch).

If  he is as good as he seems he will have a significant impact in all three areas.   It is hard to imagine that another player, right now, could have more of an impact than TJ Hockenson.

As Gronkowski leaves, one of the most important players in the Patriots' success, we get a similar player.

I would love to see them take Hockenson. TE is a difference maker position, the right guy can force a defense to make all sorts of unpleasant choices.

• Like (+1) 1

As I have said for the last few years, Hockenson is an aberration, a unicorn, a 4th dimension. Others will back me up on this but I’ve been scouting him since 10th grade. It’s nice that you came up with this profound thread...welcome to the party. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

As I have said for the last few years, Hockenson is an aberration, a unicorn, a 4th dimension. Others will back me up on this but I’ve been scouting him since 10th grade. It’s nice that you came up with this profound thread...welcome to the party. 

Been busy, and while paying a little attention to the draft players, today was  one of the first times I have had some time to read about Hockenson.  And frankly, as a long time Bills fan, hard to get excited for a tight end so I haven't been interested.

To me, 1983 pick, Tony Hunter, a first round tight end, is still  a key reference point.  He played two years for the Bills.

As Daniel Jeremiah said in his  evaluation: "Hockenson is at his best in the run game. He rag-dolls defensive ends and linebackers. He had multiple pancake blocks in every game I studied. Overall, Hockenson is one of the best blocking tight ends I've ever evaluated, and he is dependable in the passing game. He's a Day 1 impact player at the next level."

The Bills went after free agents to make their offense and Allen better, and shockingly,  even making a play for Antonio Brown. So the Bills are looking for impact players on offense.  Hockenson is the player the Bills' offense needs, like  Cornelius Bennett was the guy the defense needed in 1987.  Hockenson can have a similar impact.

Imagine Josh Allen and Hockenson in the same backfield. 

Edited by Mister Defense

57 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I want him at 9 if he is still there.  A week ago I would have said there is an 80% to 90% chance he is there.   Sounds like it is 50/50 now.

Bills better have a plan c since there is a good chance Hock and Oliver are not there. 

Hocks not going before us. Lucky us if he does.

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would not understand why they might take either Metcalf or especially Fant at 9.  Neither are good safe picks there, IMHO.

I’m with ya oldtimer!  Neither have consistent enough hands for my liking.  One thing that I’ve stood by since we drafted josh allen:  we need WRs and TEs that have great hands.  Size and speed means nothing if you can’t catch the ball.  Not to say Metcalf and Fant can’t catch, but I’m just not impressed with their hands.

55 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I was on the fence, but I’m now firmly on the Hockwagon.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I would not understand why they might take either Metcalf or especially Fant at 9.  Neither are good safe picks there, IMHO.

You are assuming they are trying to take safe picks.  What if they are not?   See the 2018 Bills 1st round picks.  Neither were safe and one (Allen) was one of the most polarizing prospects at his position.