23 years ago today- Eric Moulds (1st rd pick)

The WR I think that, while people consider him really good, could still be one of the most underrated WRs in NFL history.  That guy was a BEAST and, in my opinion, would have been a HOFer easily had he had any decent, consistent QB play during his career.  He got some on occasion, but, as good as he was, he would have been even better with solid QB play.  He was dominant at his position and could take over any game he was in.  I know Reed is in the HOF and he was awesome, but I think Moulds was every bit the WR Reed was.  Different type of receiver, but he was just as good in my opinion.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Is DK Metcalf better than Moulds was back in '96?

Body type is similar and Metcalf is a little faster.  But until Metcalf does anything in the NFL, that is where the comparisons end.  Physically similar, though.  I liked Moulds coming out more than Metcalf at the time as well, but with the WR position, you just never know sometimes who is going to be dominant in the NFL.  Tough position to figure out.

I will always feel as though the Bills ruined for Moulds what would have been a Hall of Fame career had he been on a team with a stable quarterback and offensive system.

I know he was a great for the Bills, but I think he would remembered nationally on the level of his classmates, T.O. and Marvin Harrison, if only his career numbers hadn't been stunted by the revolving door at QB and OC in Buffalo.

Loved Moulds. Just wish for HIS sake that he'd gone somewhere else. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Is DK Metcalf better than Moulds was back in '96?

For the time he played, Moulds had much better numbers.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/eric-moulds-1.html

and the Canadian ballet was so happy with that draft pick!

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

I will always feel as though the Bills ruined for Moulds what would have been a Hall of Fame career had he been on a team with a stable quarterback and offensive system.

I know he was a great for the Bills, but I think he would remembered nationally on the level of his classmates, T.O. and Marvin Harrison, if only his career numbers hadn't been stunted by the revolving door at QB and OC in Buffalo.

Loved Moulds. Just wish for HIS sake that he'd gone somewhere else. 

I also think this about Lee Evans and Sammy (injuries were huge).  Those guys might not have been HOFers but they would have been much better somewhere else.  It just shows how dependent of a position receiver is.

the worst part about the Miami playoff game was how it ended. But Moulds and Flutie were amazing that game.  

2 hours ago, the skycap said:

Voted as the 3rd WR on Bills All time team. Is he Wall of Fame bound? 

My goodness what a freak.

I can't believe how many of his TDs were longer than 10 yards, and how many were highlight reel material.

It makes me think that I don't need good receivers for Allen as much as I need good receivers and 1 great one for Allen.

The Bills wanted Marvin Harrison in that draft, but weren’t in position to get him. However, I do think Moulds could have ended up a HOFer if he had been with the Colts and Peyton Manning his whole career. He got all of one season with a declining Kelly at QB and didn’t play much. Moulds was the last great WR the Bills had. I hope they can land the next one soon.