Looks like Bills not drafting a running back.

mead107

Good thing need shouldn’t factor into it.

The Bills have a 31 year old oft injured starter, a 36 year old veteran, and now a 3rd down receiving back on their roster.

If RB is BPA in the middle rounds, then I hope the Bills take one.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I dunno but I'm glad we agree there's been a distinct lack of redundant RB threads of late. Thank you for rectifying.

Thank you  

just want my post to stand out.  

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, mead107 said:

With all the pick ups I see no need to draft one. 

WHAT SAY YOU? 

Y.  Explain to me how the signings say no young RB in the mix.

Shady if cut - 2.625M in Dead Cap, but an 8M savings.

Frank Gore - 500K in dead Cap, 1.5M savings

Senorise Perry - 50K in dead cap, 760K savings

Murphy - 0 Dead Cap 720 Savings

Ford - 0 Dead cap - 570 in savings (not even counted now as is because of the top 51 Rule)

SO with that there just posted.  Seems like they can draft a RB they like (if they have one) and easily make room with no major cap implications.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oh I dont know....if a high upside prospect is there late.....they could draft and stash them on the practice squad

The nice thing about this team is we literally could be competative with the team we have BEFORE the draft....which means we can let the draft come to us and not reach on anyone......or can use our later picks to pick in the day 2 round

16 minutes ago, mead107 said:

With all the pick ups I see no need to draft one. 

WHAT SAY YOU? 

Recent signings just push it farther down the list like O lineman and WR. Doesn't necessarily take the position off the table. It's still a need and allows McBeane to go BPA.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

Given the top 3 players on the running back depth chart currently, I would guess only a late rounder or UDFA at running back.

I know, I know, "why would two old guys and a 3rd down back stop them from drafting someone"? I don't know...roster room? I doubt they're dumping Shady or Gore. Perry will likely stick as the special teams ace. They JUST signed Yeldon during draft week, so...

If whatever late round or UDFA guy they grab beats Yeldon out in camp, then so be it. But with the roster set up the way it is, I'm guessing we're looking right now at a running back depth chart that will be the same on opening day.

As I've predicted all along, I think NEXT offseason they will go with a complete youth re-vamp at the position, with Shady and Gore both gone and two youngsters brought in. Until then, they want smart, dependable, veteran running backs for Allen to lean on.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Given the top 3 players on the running back depth chart currently, I would guess only a late rounder or UDFA at running back.

I know, I know, "why would two old guys and a 3rd down back stop them from drafting someone"? I don't know...roster room? I doubt they're dumping Shady or Gore. Perry will likely stick as the special teams ace. They JUST signed Yeldon during draft week, so...

If whatever late round or UDFA guy they grab beats Yeldon out in camp, then so be it. But with the roster set up the way it is, I'm guessing we're looking right now at a running back depth chart that will be the same on opening day.

As I've predicted all along, I think NEXT offseason they will go with a complete youth re-vamp at the position, with Shady and Gore both gone and two youngsters brought in. Until then, they want smart, dependable, veteran running backs for Allen to lean on.

Actually to be Honest.,  It is MORE in line with getting their RB this year, and then having him learn from Shady (last year on Deal) and Gore (essentially a year to year deal).  And Yeldon is that insurance in case the miss them.

Or it points to me to the Pick they are targeting being Bryce Love, and allow him to come in slowly, Red Shirt, and learn from McCoy and Gore while sitting and rehabbing and watching.

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Actually to be Honest.,  It is MORE in line with getting their RB this year, and then having him learn from Shady (last year on Deal) and Gore (essentially a year to year deal).

I understand the idea of wanting a rookie to learn behind two HOF caliber guys for a season, but I still don't think the Bills spend a high pick on a running back. Where would said player fit on the roster? I really don't believe they're dumping Shady or Gore. Perry is the RB4 and special teams dynamo. They JUST signed Yeldon during draft week. Why would they have done that if they felt they were going to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a running back?

I'm not denying that they COULD draft a running back high, I just don't think they will. It'll either be a late round "We couldn't pass up the value" kind of guy or a UDFA. If that late round/UDFA guy beats out Yeldon because he offers better 3rd down play, or if he beats out Perry because he offers better special teams play, then so be it. I just don't see it.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I understand the idea of wanting a rookie to learn behind two HOF caliber guys for a season, but I still don't think the Bills spend a high pick on a running back. Where would said player fit on the roster? I really don't believe they're dumping Shady or Gore. Perry is the RB4 and special teams dynamo. They JUST signed Yeldon during draft week. Why would they have done that if they felt they were going to spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a running back?

I'm not denying that they COULD draft a running back high, I just don't think they will. It'll either be a late round "We couldn't pass up the value" kind of guy or a UDFA. If that late round/UDFA guy beats out Yeldon because he offers better 3rd down play, or if he beats out Perry because he offers better special teams play, then so be it. I just don't see it.

I never thought that they were drafting a 2nd or rd round back.  I think that position was always a 5-7 round position and it should be in todays NFL.  And as I mentioned above None of these RBs have a contract that is keeping them on the roster.  So I would not count out a pick in this position in the rounds I thought they were always going to address the position and that was 5-7.  Yeldon signing doesn't change that.  Nor does Perry, heck Gore probably doesn't change it either

Edited by MAJBobby

34 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

If you truly believe in the BPA concept, its completely possible

This. 

I dont one think they go with a RB at all. Unless one they covet falls much farther than expected and it’s a no brainer.