The Bisons need to hook up with a better Major League Org

On 4/23/2019 at 5:03 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Yea because the Yankees win World Series all the time now...

Houston has built a very good squad...

20+ teams in the MLB do not care about competing... the Yankees and Sox and Cardinals do

90% Of every male athlete in America still grows up playing baseball at some level.. I have about 10 fields within a few miles of my house and they are packed every summer 

Strong yesses and nos to you!

50 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

I always hope for a Bisons-Yankees affiliation.  Wont happen, but would be awesome if it did

That's always been my biggest fear growing up for two reasons.

1) Love the Bisons. Hate the Yankees. I'd be so conflicted.

2) The Yankees build their team through free agency, so other than a handful of players, most of their stars don't come through, so their farm system is usually trash.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

That's always been my biggest fear growing up for two reasons.

1) Love the Bisons. Hate the Yankees. I'd be so conflicted.

2) The Yankees build their team through free agency, so other than a handful of players, most of their stars don't come through, so their farm system is usually trash.

the Yankees have hit the super jackpot on scouting and young men for this incarnation.

7 men in the lineup for the playoffs last year were home-grown or picked up off the discard pile of other teams

so watch it there about Free Agency kneejerk commenets...

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the Yankees have hit the super jackpot on scouting and young men for this incarnation.

7 men in the lineup for the playoffs last year were home-grown or picked up off the discard pile of other teams

I was speaking more to my experiences when I was a Bisons fans in the late 90s-early 00s.

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Super jackpot?  A young pitcher that has shoulder problems now and wasn't even the same last year as the previous year.  A 3B that is one of the worst defensive position players in the league.  A catcher that hit below .200 last year.  They got Torres from the Cubs, Stanton from the Fish (in a borderline collusion deal with Jeter).  Chapman via FA.  Bird can't stay on the field, Voit is bad.  Didi FA.  Frazier via the Indians.  Who are all these home-grown young studs?  I just count 1, Judge.  The rest are not Yankees "home-grown" or not that good.

Edited by Mark80

21 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I was speaking more to my experiences when I was a Bisons fans in the late 90s-early 00s.

fair enough, on reread i wasn't intending to be so militant... here's 3 smiley faces that i should have put behind my comments.....   :D:D :D

it's even worse now cheering for Toronto because Tampa and the Yankees are doing it with young men, and good signings...   :(

16 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Super jackpot?  A young pitcher that has shoulder problems now and wasn't even the same last year as the previous year.  A 3B that is one of the worst defensive position players in the league.  A catcher that hit below .200 last year.  They got Torres from the Cubs, Stanton from the Fish (in a borderline collusion deal with Jeter).  Chapman via FA.  Bird can't stay on the field, Voit is bad.  Didi FA.  Frazier via the Indians.  Who are all these home-grown young studs?  I just count 1, Judge.  The rest are not Yankees "home-grown" or not that good.

WTF are you talking about?

oh, you missed last season entirely?

welcome to watching baseball, sport!

the Yankees aimed to totally tank a few years ago, dumped the bullpen and other features, then wound up only a few games behind the playoff Jays, so what the heck give it a go

everyone knows they play to win

knows they play to win

knows they play to win

knows they play to win

knows they play to win

Edited by row_33

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

WTF are you talking about?

oh, you missed last season entirely?

welcome to watching baseball, sport!

Please enlighten me as to how Andujar is not the worst fielding 3b in the league.  How Sanchez didn't hit .186 last year.  How Severino hasn't pitched all year and his performance regressed significantly from July on last season.  Or how any other of my statements weren't true.  I despise the Yankees and I know more about them than you apparently.

Edited by Mark80

1 hour ago, Mark80 said:

Please enlighten me as to how Andujar is not the worst fielding 3b in the league.  How Sanchez didn't hit .186 last year.  How Severino hasn't pitched all year and his performance regressed significantly from July on last season.  Or how any other of my statements weren't true.  I despise the Yankees and I know more about them than you apparently.

Andujar is the worst fielding 3B in the league in his rookie year.  Thats very true.  Its also very true that the player Andujar  is most compared to, Adrian Beltre, was the worst fielding 3B his rookie year as well.  He went on to win 5 gold gloves and will likely be a HoFer within 3 years of his eligibility.  Not sayin Andjuar is Beltre but players can improve.

Sanchez had a bad year.  No doubt.  2016-2017 were great years for him.  I won't crucify a young C for a bad year, especially if he bounces back.

Severino has a shoulder problem I think.  2017 and 1/2 of 2018 were terrific.  I do not know if Sevy bounces back without surgery, but I would not call him a bust.

"Homegrown" talent, in my view, doesnt just mean drafted talent.  It can also mean young and unproven talent acquired from other organizations via trade.  That would include Hicks, Didi, Gleybar Torres, Voit and Clint Frazier.  All will be contributors this year and for many years beyond.

I do believe Bird will become a good player, but he may need to get out of NY for it to happen.  Which is a shame because I thought Bird could have been the best of the bunch.

Judge is simply Judge and a beast.

9 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

Andujar is the worst fielding 3B in the league in his rookie year.  Thats very true.  Its also very true that the player Andujar  is most compared to, Adrian Beltre, was the worst fielding 3B his rookie year as well.  He went on to win 5 gold gloves and will likely be a HoFer within 3 years of his eligibility.  Not sayin Andjuar is Beltre but players can improve.

Sanchez had a bad year.  No doubt.  2016-2017 were great years for him.  I won't crucify a young C for a bad year, especially if he bounces back.

Severino has a shoulder problem I think.  2017 and 1/2 of 2018 were terrific.  I do not know if Sevy bounces back without surgery, but I would not call him a bust.

"Homegrown" talent, in my view, doesnt just mean drafted talent.  It can also mean young and unproven talent acquired from other organizations via trade.  That would include Hicks, Didi, Gleybar Torres, Voit and Clint Frazier.  All will be contributors this year and for many years beyond.

I do believe Bird will become a good player, but he may need to get out of NY for it to happen.  Which is a shame because I thought Bird could have been the best of the bunch.

Judge is simply Judge and a beast.

Much better response than the other fella. 

Sanchez is only batting like .220 this season so far as well.  Andujar was the 2 worst fielder defensive runs saved wise in the entire league last year.  Can he improve?  Sure, but all the pundits constantly talk about how he is a better DH or 1B fit.  And his bat is no where near the level Beltre was when he came up, and he was still a teenager at the time.  I haven't heard anyone compare Andujar's bat to Beltran's, not one.

Torres and Frazier were already considered "top" prospects when they were traded to the Yankees.  Torres was top 10, Frazier was top 40 (or around there).  Hicks was already seen as one of the best fielding CF in the league when the Twins let him go (because of Buxton).  His bat has gotten way better than expected though.  Didi was also a highly touted prospect before the trade. 

I just have a different definition of "home grown" and thats fine.  To me, if you aren't drafted or acquired well before you become a "top prospect", then you aren't really "home-grown."  I mean, Torres was the main piece acquired in the Chapman deal and Frazier was the main piece in the Andrew MIller trade, those were big names traded at the time and high returns.

I'll still take the Bisons of the "50s and "60s, playing under community ownership at Offerman Stadium and with limited major league affiliation.  They continually picked up ex-major leaguers such as Luke Easter and were really good, winning the Little World Series if I recall correctly.  With their shoestring community ownership budget, you had better throw foul balls back onto the field, as the fans chanted "throw it back," or it wasn't the umpires fans were booing.