Joe Marino (Locked on Bills): Two names he is hearing in 1st for Bills: Jonah Williams, DK Metcalf

6 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I disagree. Looking at our roster now there is not a need for our large sum of draft picks that we have. We have signed a ton of free agents. I believe most in the NFL. And we have no major holes... Sure we can improve on positions but no huge holes to fill. I think we would be in a good position to trade up and get the best player we can. If we want elite level talent then why not move up. We are solid across the board... If we have a chance to move up and get elite at some positions then we should do it.

I get what you are saying...But do the Bills have...a WR1?  A premiere TE?  A stud LT and RT?  A premiere EDGE to compliment Hughes?  A proven 3T DT?  

We have lots of places we could use more talent at.  We may not have any one spot thats a massive hole, but that doesnt mean we have difference makers at those positions.  For example, there is not one impact player on offense.  We got a coupe deep guys.  We got a short 3rd down guy.  We got a decent TE.  We got some old RB's.  

Nothing is more important than developing Josh, and we got good role players around him, but not that go to guy...that take over a game player...that impact guy Josh can count on.  

So wasting a very valuable 2nd rounder that can be used to find more talent in key places to move up is IMO unnecessary in this draft.  There are multiple studs that will be on the board at 9. 

Beane isnt going to exit this draft having used all 10 picks on players.  He will move around the draft to get value and guys he covets.  But I seriously doubt Beane uses valuable picks this year to move up from 9 when we can probably land 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, maybe 4 by trading back up from later picks.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

If last year’s draft showed us anything, it’s that Beane definitely likes players with elite physical traits and trusts his coaching staff to take elite specimens like Allen and Edmunds to mold them into elite NFL players.   For that reason alone I believe Metcalf is definitely in play at 9.  

Not my preferred choice at 9, but it should hardly shock anybody if D.K. is a Buffalo Bill come

Thursday evening... 

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can see a Josh Allen like meltdown thread if DK is the pick.    That is a value add for me. :devil:

No meltdown from me but you are correct, it would be a polarizing pick...and why did you edit my post to take out the "I'll root like hell for him?"

Edited by eball

4 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Thursday Wish List

1) Ed Oliver drops to 9

2) Bills trade back if he's gone

3) Praying we don't take DK ... combine warrior . .runs one route ... pass

4) If don't trade back .. live with Jonah Williams

Dk was considered the top WR by many before the combine AND before the season. Combine warrior label is lazy analysis. 

• Like (+1) 6

44 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Dk was considered the top WR by many before the combine AND before the season. Combine warrior label is lazy analysis. 

Still scares me. As I've said before, scared we pass on him and he becomes the next Megatron or Julio. Terrified we pick him, as despite his many outstanding traits, there  are plenty of question marks. Limited route tree, poor agility, injury history, limited production. 

19 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Still scares me. As I've said before, scared we pass on him and he becomes the next Megatron or Julio. Terrified we pick him, as despite his many outstanding traits, there  are plenty of question marks. Limited route tree, poor agility, injury history, limited production. 

Injury history is the only one of those that kind of scares me. However since I’m not a doctor I’ll leave that to them.

Route tree was a product of his strengths and the ole miss play calling. When you have a guy that’s 6’4” and can run a 4.33 40 why wouldn’t you have him run a go, post, corner every play? Especially when you have AJ Brown able to run the other routes.

Production is a result of the injuries. Go look at his numbers in the individual games he played in last year. 

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get what you are saying...But do the Bills have...a WR1?  A premiere TE?  A stud LT and RT?  A premiere EDGE to compliment Hughes?  A proven 3T DT?  

We have lots of places we could use more talent at.  We may not have any one spot thats a massive hole, but that doesnt mean we have difference makers at those positions.  For example, there is not one impact player on offense.  We got a coupe deep guys.  We got a short 3rd down guy.  We got a decent TE.  We got some old RB's.  

Nothing is more important than developing Josh, and we got good role players around him, but not that go to guy...that take over a game player...that impact guy Josh can count on.  

So wasting a very valuable 2nd rounder that can be used to find more talent in key places to move up is IMO unnecessary in this draft.  There are multiple studs that will be on the board at 9. 

Beane isnt going to exit this draft having used all 10 picks on players.  He will move around the draft to get value and guys he covets.  But I seriously doubt Beane uses valuable picks this year to move up from 9 when we can probably land 3 picks in the first 2 rounds, maybe 4 by trading back up from later picks.  

Exactly and you have a better chance at getting a difference maker by trading up and drafting one. Of course you could hit on some later in draft with more draft picks but we would have a better shot at nailing a difference maker if we move up. Personally i don't mind a trade down if Oliver does get selected before us

6 hours ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Thursday Wish List

1) Ed Oliver drops to 9

2) Bills trade back if he's gone

3) Praying we don't take DK ... combine warrior . .runs one route ... pass

4) If don't trade back .. live with Jonah Williams

I think Jonah Williams is the Bills fail safe in the event other players they want are taken ahead of their pick and they can't trade back.

If I were the Bills and I was going to stay a pick 9 I would leak the name D.K. Metcalf as the probable pic, even if I had no intention of taking him.

Why? Because if a team thinks he's your guy they're not bothering to trade up in front of you because you're not taking their guy. And even if you were taking their guy, nobody is trading assets to move up to take Metcalf that early. While a team might be willing to take him with the 15-18 pick they're likely not willing to part with picks to move up and take him. Leaking that name is all part of the game and might protect you from a team moving up and taking a guy you really want.

If the Bills really covet Metcalf (and they might) they'll move down to do it. Get an additional 2nd or 3rd and then use that pick to help move back into the late 1st round. I just don't see any reason to pick him at 9.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/22/2019 at 9:33 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Listening to Joe Marino podcast and he says they are honing in on OL and WR in the 1st and specifically the two names he keeps hearing for the Bills in the 1st are Jonah Williams and DK Metcalf (3 different sources). He does think they would take Oliver but do not think he will be there and doesn’t think they will trade up. 

He also believes Dawkins is on notice 

Yay! I love it when they draft my guys , which is why we haven't had any success until McBeane took over :D

His three biggest mistakes were not trading Tyrod and McCoy when he took over and not addressing the losses of Glenn, incognito and Wood sooner.

His successes are Allen, Edmunds and cleaning house.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

22 hours ago, JM57 said:

I think that was Kevin Massare, can't find a tweet from either though to confirm it.

It was Marino during his podcast, there's a thread about it here somewhere. Massare was the twerp who assured everyone he had inside info that a trade was going down during the tampering period, then deleted his tweet when it didn't happen and refused to answer any questions about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2019 NFL Draft: Playing for Buffalo Bills 'would be awesome,’ says Alabama OT Jonah Williams

Today 11:44 AM
Alabama offensive tackle Jonah Williams blocks during an SEC game against Arkansas on Oct. 6, 2018, at Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville, Ark.

AP Photo/Michael Woods

Alabama offensive tackle Jonah Williams blocks during an SEC game against Arkansas on Oct. 6, 2018, at Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville, Ark.

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

Some players may not want to hear the Buffalo Bills call their name in the 2019 NFL Draft, but Alabama offensive tackle Jonah Williams is not one of them.

Williams, one of the top offensive line prospects in the 2019 NFL Draft, recently joined The Adam Schefter Podcast to talk about this year’s draft. During his interview, Schefter asked where he expected to go on Thursday night and Williams confidently answered that he expected to go in the top-10.

“I think there’s a handful of teams that need a tackle or just need o-line in general in the top 10 that have me as their top guy so I’d be very surprised if I fell out of there," Williams told Schefter.

The ESPN insider quickly started running down teams that he could see as a fit and mentioned the New York Jets in a trade down situation, the Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. When asked if he missed any possible teams, Williams had a one word answer.

Buffalo.

Schefter quickly followed up on Williams’ response and asked the Alabama prospect how he would feel about going to Buffalo. Here is what Williams said in his response.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/04/2019-nfl-draft-playing-for-buffalo-bills-would-be-awesome-says-alabama-ot-jonah-williams.html

Edited by HOUSE
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

I could understand this, but from why I’ve heard about him (humble, family man, work ethic) getting him into our program may alleviate some of these concerns. Yoga, Pilates, etc they can help him build his body to where it needs to be as an NFL receiver. Maybe that means losing 10 pounds of muscle, and possibly starting alil slower than we’d all like. He’s still raw but damn does he have the god given traits to be special. I can see an Eric Moulds type career projectory with him. A couple of slow years then ?.

That is true, but he hasn’t really demonstrated in college that he is a good WR that can play at the NFL level.  For sure, he has amazing physical traits, but so have countless NFL draft busts.

To be clear, I am NOT saying that he WILL be a bust, but he has not produced at a level of even a 2nd round pick, let alone a top 10 pick.

I am in the community that wants at least a good solid starter at 9, rather than “swinging for the fences” on a guy with really high traits but could be out of the league in 2-3 years. 

For the record, I am not a supporter of taking Rashan Gary, either - and he is an equal, maybe even better, example of an athletic freak who doesn’t have production in college to back a high draft selection.  Remember C.J. Spiller was a similar super athlete who never panned out in the NFL.

7 hours ago, Chemical said:

What production in college was that based on?

7 hours ago, foreboding said:

Jonah would be fine and then next year, after we win 10 this year they can take a blue chip Rb after pick 20- and have the line to make it worth it-

Jonah is the anti-DK.  Williams has less-than-ideal physical traits, but has played at a high level against top college competition.

I am leery of both.  I worry that what held Metcalf back in college will prevent success in the NFLand I worry that Jonah Williams will be over-whelmed in the NFL by superior size and athleticism.