Joe Marino (Locked on Bills): Two names he is hearing in 1st for Bills: Jonah Williams, DK Metcalf

2 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I hope he's just buzzed...What it would cost to get up there I am not in favor of...Period...?

That's from last year, I'm just saying I don't think he's really dialed in on anything with the Bills especially since it turns out, one year later, that Gettleman was never moving out of #2

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

In this case, same difference.  The point is IF the Ravens stay at 22, he'll get selected there if he's still around.  

Or you didn’t really read and you have zero evidence that they would take him for fact. It’s actually a big difference in your case. 11 picks to be exact to fall out of the first round. That’s literally 35 % of a difference.  Unless your Eric DeCosta or John Harbaugh I’m pretty sure you don’t know this as definitively as your trying to portray. I’m not saying he is going on the 2nd. If I’m the GM am I investing a top 10 pick into a guy with a heart condition as a difference maker for my team while paying him millions and hoping? My answer would be No. 

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Or you didn’t really read and you have zero evidence that they would take him for fact. It’s actually a big difference in your case. 11 picks to be exact to fall out of the first round. That’s literally 35 % of a difference.  Unless your Eric DeCosta or John Harbaugh I’m pretty sure you don’t know this as definitively as your trying to portray. I’m not saying he is going on the 2nd. If I’m the GM am I investing a top 10 pick into a guy with a heart condition as a difference maker for my team while paying him millions and hoping? My answer would be No. 

Based on all the reading I’m doing the heart condition is considered a non-issue and will not likely affect his draft status. You may be making way too much of it. From all the mocks I’m seeing, not only will he not be there at pick 22, he may not make it out of the top 10! If he is there at nine he may be the best player on the board at that time!

22 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Of course I have no evidence they will take him, like you have no evidence they won't, but I did listen to some of their draft prognosticators like Garrett Downing and even listen to their Director of College Scouting Joe Hortiz.  They didn't mention Sweat specifically but putting some of the things they said together, I don't think they would pass up on him.

Edited by NewEraBills

9 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Seems Hockenson is going to be hard pressed to get past both Jacksonville and Detroit.

Detroit might have issues with Hock as don't want to relive Ebron plus Patricia might want to help his Ds front 7. Jacksonville is a ? but Hock to them makes some sense with Foles yet they could go O or Dline or even Metcalf.

As a Bills fan I feel we go Oliver or Sweat. The LB White could be a sleeper to add. I'd also like Hock but part of me worries it could be Gary if all of the above off the board. The clamoring for Olineman earlier makes little sense with all we added there this offseason.

Edited by The Jokeman

Just now, njbuff said:

If it came down to Williams or Metcalf...................

If it's me, I am 100% trading down if I can. 

Those two are BAD value at 9. Period.

Agreed, question is how low would we go? As I like Christian Wilkins but don't love him enough to take him at #9.

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

Please not Metcalf 

10 hours ago, eball said:

If the Bills draft Metcalf at #9 I'm going in expecting the worst.

I can see a Josh Allen like meltdown thread if DK is the pick.    That is a value add for me. :devil:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I think Sweat deserves to be in the conversation. I think he is better than Oliver. And I think the Bills have Brian Burns really high on their depth chart.

I think Sweat and Burns are both good edge rushers that would be a much better fit for a 3-4. I actually think the Bills would select Devin Bush before either of them.

6 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Agreed...

I do think folks get a little too enamoured with that Top 10/1st Rd pick being the be all, end all...

The truth is good players are Drafted all over...Of the PFF Top 12 DT's in 2018 5 were 1st Rd picks, 2 were 2nd, 2 were 3rd, 1 4th, 1 5th, and one undrafted...The Bills have 10 picks this year and they will get help later in the Draft...They've actually had some success beyond the 1st round recently...Dawkins dropped off a little last year, but he's a late 2nd Rd pick starting at LT in the NFL...A healthy Taron Johnson is one of the best slot CB's in the NFL and he was a 4th Rd Pick... Matt Milano was a 5th Rd pick...Robert Foster was undrafted...

I think the Bills need to feel they are getting the best player possible at #9...Regardless of position...We are all going to have our favorites...And if they go against my favorites they are going to hear about it...?

Seriously though...They need to take the guy they love...?

Didnt you just make an argument in favor of trading down?

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Ugh - I could settle for Williams as a solid, if not spectacular player, but I would be very leery of Metcalf.  I could root for Metcalf as he clearly puts in the effort to build his body, but injury history and lack of flexibility worry me greatly.

I could understand this, but from why I’ve heard about him (humble, family man, work ethic) getting him into our program may alleviate some of these concerns. Yoga, Pilates, etc they can help him build his body to where it needs to be as an NFL receiver. Maybe that means losing 10 pounds of muscle, and possibly starting alil slower than we’d all like. He’s still raw but damn does he have the god given traits to be special. I can see an Eric Moulds type career projectory with him. A couple of slow years then ?.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Senator said:

No, I meant Jonah, but also said I recognized the need for a DT, so my bad - I guess my meaning was a bit unclear.

If Quinnen Williams is there at #9, I think we don’t walk to the podium, we run!

I understood you.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Didnt you just make an argument in favor of trading down?

The comment was more about the panic of "we have to have Position X at #9 because of the impact on 2019..."

Personally I'm pretty much always in favor of trading down...Though I do admit this year, if he's available at #9, I would take DK and walk away thrilled...

But honestly I feel it's a bit moot with this bunch...I'm assuming they'll stay put and take the guy they like most at #9...Or even trade up a spot or two...Has nothing to do with what I prefer...They don't seem too eager to embrace the trade down philosophy...But we'll see...?

1 hour ago, billspro said:

I think Sweat and Burns are both good edge rushers that would be a much better fit for a 3-4. I actually think the Bills would select Devin Bush before either of them.

I'm not so sure. Burns has come in for a predraft workout and we interviewed him at the combine. We haven't had any meetings with Bush or White. I think Gary is more likely that Bush when it comes to Michigan players. Historically our draft picks have been interviewed or worked out for us.

3 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

He has a heart condition no one is taking Sweat in the top 10. Someone today said he could fall to the end of round 1

Someone said that. But most think it'll be a minor slip in the draft. His heart condition has been said to not be serious and is cleared to play football. From what I understand he is still expected to be a top 15 pick. Could he fall further... Sure but I doubt it. It's probably someone trying to make a minor situation look worse than it is in hopes that he falls to a certain team that wants him.

13 hours ago, dlonce said:

The notion that anyone inside the Bills is going to allude to who they are drafting is absurd.

Any name dropping at this point is fodder. Also, there’s no way the Bills are using 9 to draft Metcalf.

How many guys had Edmunds going to the Bills last year? I’d say there’s a better chance the Bills trade up this year to get who they really desire.

Allen was linked to the Bills though by many.

Thursday can’t come quick enough.

I think there is almost NO chance the Bills trade up from 9.  Couldn't think of a more wasteful move, and Beane doesnt like to waste draft capital and is a master at accruing draft capital.  

Whats the point of trading up from 9 when multiple Blue Chip prospects will be on the board at 9 at positions we could use upgrades?  Makes no sense.  This is a DEEP draft, giving up our 2nd round pick is absurdly stupid in this draft.  

Doesn't mean he wont do it if he covets a guy that much, but I seriously doubt we trade up.  In fact, more likely we trade down than up from 9.  I do think he will trade up at least once, if not multiple times later in the draft, but not up from 9.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think there is almost NO chance the Bills trade up from 9.  Couldn't think of a more wasteful move, and Beane doesnt like to waste draft capital and is a master at accruing draft capital.  

Whats the point of trading up from 9 when multiple Blue Chip prospects will be on the board at 9 at positions we could use upgrades?  Makes no sense.  This is a DEEP draft, giving up our 2nd round pick is absurdly stupid in this draft.  

Doesn't mean he wont do it if he covets a guy that much, but I seriously doubt we trade up.  In fact, more likely we trade down than up from 9.  I do think he will trade up at least once, if not multiple times later in the draft, but not up from 9.  

I disagree. Looking at our roster now there is not a need for our large sum of draft picks that we have. We have signed a ton of free agents. I believe most in the NFL. And we have no major holes... Sure we can improve on positions but no huge holes to fill. I think we would be in a good position to trade up and get the best player we can. If we want elite level talent then why not move up. We are solid across the board... If we have a chance to move up and get elite at some positions then we should do it.