Joe Marino (Locked on Bills): Two names he is hearing in 1st for Bills: Jonah Williams, DK Metcalf

2 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

If J. Williams is a plug-in and play pro bowler for ten years as many say, then that’s a hell of a lot closer to great than good and that’s worth the pick! 

If he were a plug and play pro bowler for 10 years he wouldn’t be an option at 9. He isn’t Quentin Nelson. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

If he were a plug and play pro bowler for 10 years he wouldn’t be an option at 9. He isn’t Quentin Nelson. 

Completely disagree. He very likely is that player and there’s a good chance he will be available at nine.

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have seen some people afraid of taking metcalf in the 1st because they have PTSD on Sammy. He was the consensus “nightmare pick” on one of the twitter polls. I get this, I do. But let’s break it down. And FTR I’m not sold on DK at 9. Or as this team’s 1st rounder in general.  But let’s say it happens. Will the Bills fan base collectively freak out? Here’s some reasons to breathe at the idea of it happening....

1. The Bills likely won’t be trading up like they did for Sammy. Less risk, less assets given up. 

2. Sammy was expected to come in and be the #1 WR right away. And he actually was, and did well at it despite the unsettled QB situation. DK has #1 potential,  but he’s not going to be given that load right away. 

3. The QB situation with Allen is still developing but it’s not what it was when Sammy was drafted. Marrone never seemed to want EJ or seem committed to his development. He also never seemed to want Sammy, who he was livid they traded up for. He and Whaley butted heads over both of these players imo and has different direction in mind. I don’t believe that’s the case here at all. I think both McD and Beane wanted Allen, and are committed to him succeeding. And if they take DK, it’s because they both feel he’s an integral piece of building their core team. 

3.sammy’s best skill set in college was screens and jet sweeps which the Bills almost never ran (with him). DK’s best skill set mirrors Josh Allen’s strengths as a QB. He may be raw, but as he develops he can still excel at what he does best especially if there are other receiving options taking the pressure off. 

I also think that what happened with Foster last season could be a factor. They may think they can coach up his weakpoints so he's worth the risk with his high ceiling.

Edited by Warcodered

Just now, Mojo44 said:

Completely disagree. He very likely is that player and there’s a good chance he will be available at nine.

Who was the last “plug and play 10 year pro bowler” available at 9? That isn’t how it works. He has some questions (arm length and athleticism) which make him an option at 9. He isn’t a flawless prospect by any stretch. Williams is an option at 9 but he is absolutely not a “plug and play 10 year pro bowler.” He’s closer to Jake Matthews as a prospect than Quentin Nelson. He’s a guy with a ton of experience that is a safe option. He will be a good player but he isn’t changing the landscape of anyone’s team. That last part, is, in many ways why he’s not an inspiring pick. The DL, or even Hock or Metcalf COULD transform this team. 

29 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

That is why I don't buy it, last year everything was very close to the vest and nothing seems to leak from OBD.

You cannot rule him out though as he does fit the "athleticism" and potential that we went for last year in RD1 (very high ceiling and an outstanding athletic profile). 

They have been pretty good with leaks. But all the Josh Allen smoke last year was much more than a lot of lucky guesses imo. There were media members who specifically said they knew the Bills were all in on Allen. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I personally think Jonah W is worth the 9th pick and Metcalf is a risk at 9. But there is a ton of smoke on metcalf to Bills. Can’t ignore that. I tried to ignore the smoke on Allen last year but it was all true.

Wouldn't mind the Alabama O-lineman at #9... there are actually a couple of other tackles who'd be fine there as well.  I'd also be OK with the Bills taking Metcalf... only with pick #40 rather than #9... and he could potentially fall that far.  Then again, there always seems to be a least one team that completely ignores 2 or 3 seasons of game film... and goes with the numbers from the combine.

52 minutes ago, dlonce said:

The notion that anyone inside the Bills is going to allude to who they are drafting is absurd.

Any name dropping at this point is fodder. Also, there’s no way the Bills are using 9 to draft Metcalf.

How many guys had Edmunds going to the Bills last year? I’d say there’s a better chance the Bills trade up this year to get who they really desire.

Allen was linked to the Bills though by many.

Thursday can’t come quick enough.

So...

No one can possibly know...But there is no way they are taking DK?...Even though no one inside will ever let the info out?...

I will tell you this...DK is being dinged by people who either A) Did not bother to watch him, dig in and grind, and are over-concentrated on cone drill times...Or...B) People who watched him and don't know what the hell they are watching, or refuse to consider the many, many factors that contributed to what they are watching...

Translation...Do not take my word...I know for certain The Draft Network is stacked with Scouts that DO watch...Multiple games..They understand the nuances of the position...They know what they are seeing and they also know the areas where a prospect can improve through NFL Coaching...DK is the #5 overall Prospect on their consensus board...That can't be overstated...The Bills pick 9th...He's a top 5 prospect on many boards...he's CLEAN off the field...He's dedicated and LOVES football...He's a massively hard worker...He's unassuming but super confident...He's 100% a process-type prospect...100%...That is not to say whatsoever that he is a finished project...Or even close to being finished...But anyone  who thinks there are all these things DK cannot do, outside of being a cat-quick Cole Beasley type of slot ...They are just flat wrong...

I agree no one knows...I completely disagree that DK is not fully in the conversation at #9 overall...They may very well go another way...But he's in the conversation...?

This is 4 different Scouting Reports on DK...4 different sets of eyes...1 basic conclusion...Stud...https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/d-k-metcalf

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Who was the last “plug and play 10 year pro bowler” available at 9? That isn’t how it works. He has some questions (arm length and athleticism) which make him an option at 9. He isn’t a flawless prospect by any stretch. Williams is an option at 9 but he is absolutely not a “plug and play 10 year pro bowler.” He’s closer to Jake Matthews as a prospect than Quentin Nelson. He’s a guy with a ton of experience that is a safe option. He will be a good player but he isn’t changing the landscape of anyone’s team. That last part, is, in many ways why he’s not an inspiring pick. The DL, or even Hock or Metcalf COULD transform this team. 

Fine! Agree to disagree. I’ll bet that if either one of us did some research we would find more than a few players were drafted at nine to fit that category. But, that’s actually besides the point. It proves nothing. It’s a relevant.The only question is about the current draft. That’s the only context that is significant here. At nine I would definitely take him over Metcalf if those were the best two options available.

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Mike Williams is a great comparison. Chargers looked at him as a future #1 due to some dominant traits who would be able to grow alongside KA.

There were rumblings a while ago that Allen wants Metcalf as well. I think you have to take that into consideration if you are the FO. They put him in a **** situation last year. McDermott has shown an ability to scheme differently when the run defense becomes a liability. We need guys getting open for Allen more than anything else on the team. Whether drafting an OL or WR will accomplish that can be debated, but IMO we only have a bunch of high-end WR3s right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I agree.  I think the OL only has 1 starter at this point and that is Morse.  I don't think Dawkins spot at LT is safe, especially after showing up looking like ButterBean

Strange... almost all of the analysis I've read on the Bills free agent signings strongly disagrees with you. I'm guessing they cobble together a pretty good O-line... even if they don't draft anyone that plays there.

14 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Fine! Agree to disagree. I’ll bet that if either one of us did some research we would find more than a few players were drafted at nine to fit that category. But, that’s actually besides the point. It proves nothing. It’s a relevant.The only question is about the current draft. That’s the only context that is significant here. At nine I would definitely take him over Metcalf if those were the best two options available.

Sure, there are perennial pro-bowlers drafted there (and even later). The point is they weren’t surefire, decade long pro-bowlers, prior to the draft. They all had some holes which made them fall. Guys that are absolute, can’t miss stars, don’t see pick 9. That’s guys like Andrew Luck, AJ Green, Orlando Pace, Patrick Peterson, etc..

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have been pretty good with leaks. But all the Josh Allen smoke last year was much more than a lot of lucky guesses imo. There were media members who specifically said they knew the Bills were all in on Allen. 

Allbright is tuned in and he nailed Allen and plenty of other moves. I think he was first, how often does the other media actually hear to from the same source or is borrowing info from someone else who already reported it. This close to the draft, if something new pops up, I truly don't buy it.  

Like I said from his athletic profile, he fits the criteria. We tried to trade for AB and who knows where we truly were with OBJ - the signs can easily point WR.

Daboll is a wild card. The Pats, they don't have a clear #1; Pats love TEs, Panthers with Olsen,  Pats had Moss. It's tough this year to predict and see what we will do. I think it depends on how the draft falls, if ARZ passes on Murray there will be a rush up to #2 and the Jets and OAK and TB will get a ton of calls. 

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He will be a good player but he isn’t changing the landscape of anyone’s team. That last part, is, in many ways why he’s not an inspiring pick. The DL, or even Hock or Metcalf COULD transform this team. 

We are in a good place to get a transformational player this year and hopefully we won't be in that position again for a while - strike while the iron is hot and it is easier to maneuver around for said player. Personally no I don't want DK at 9, but I can get behind it with his traits and for his potential to transform this team. This is not the year for a meh, safe option player IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jamie Mueller said:

Strange... almost all of the analysis I've read on the Bills free agent signings strongly disagrees with you. I'm guessing they cobble together a pretty good O-line... even if they don't draft anyone that plays there.

IMO it looks like they set out to raise the floor at OL and WR during FA because many of our starters were the worst in the league. There was almost no limit to how bad they could be. I think they want to take those units and turn them into strengths during the draft, but depending on how the chips fall they are in a spot now where they can take BPA regardless of position. In essence, they aren’t letting other teams box them into needing to draft a certain player due to position weakness.

There are legitimate reasons that BOTH guys make sense for the Bills, and reasons they don't.

DK Metcalf -- The Bills LOVE height/weight/speed guys. They've shown under Beane that they're willing to take big swings on supremely physically gifted players, even if they're high risk. Case in point? Both Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds. While they've made nice additions to the WR corps, adding a guy like Metcalf would really elevate it to the next level. He would also be able to ease into the pros, as the Bills don't immediately need him to be a #1, since they already have a Foster/Brown/Beasley starting trio. On the "reasons they wouldn't take him" list? Beane, McDermott, and Daboll have all said at one time or another that they don't necessarily think you need a "true #1" WR.

Jonah Williams -- McDermott mentioned the o-line as one of the team's "identity position groups". He believes that the offensive line should set the tone for his football team. Obviously, the multitude of offensive linemen the Bills have already brought in show that McDermott is serious about this. Well, with Williams' study habits and work ethic and football IQ, he would set the perfect tone in the OL room and be a leader on day 1. He also, as everyone knows, is a guy that Daboll is already quite familiar with. The Bills have more of an "inside look" at this guy than any other team in the draft. As for "reasons they wouldn't take him", I can think of only one: If they don't believe he can be a tackle in the NFL, they won't take him. I doubt they'd take a guy they view as a guard at 9. I just don't buy that. So if the Bills DO take Jonah Williams, you can darn sure bet they view him as a long term LT or, at worst, RT.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dlonce said:

The notion that anyone inside the Bills is going to allude to who they are drafting is absurd.

Any name dropping at this point is fodder. Also, there’s no way the Bills are using 9 to draft Metcalf.

How many guys had Edmunds going to the Bills last year? I’d say there’s a better chance the Bills trade up this year to get who they really desire.

Allen was linked to the Bills though by many.

Thursday can’t come quick enough.

Leaks happen. So do smokescreens and polite evasions. But leaks do happen.

As for how many guys had Edmunds going to the Bills last year ... the Bills didn't have Edmunds going to the Bills last year, as Beane has said many times. They never ran that scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

We are in a good place to get a transformational player this year and hopefully we won't be in that position again for a while - strike while the iron is hot and it is easier to maneuver around for said player. Personally no I don't want DK at 9, but I can get behind it with his traits and for his potential to transform this team. This is not the year for a meh, safe option player IMO.

I tend to agree. Free Agency raised the quality of starters and in turn the 2 deep. Outside of Morse they didn’t really add any stars. They added good NFL players. This draft is about getting a couple of stars. It’s about getting guys that teams have to gameplan for. Oliver is my 1st choice but it doesn’t look like he will make it. I think pass rush or a skill player is most likely to do that. Metcalf comes with risk but also comes with potential reward. Hockenson is going to be a good and versatile player. Fant in a trade down is a potential match-up problem. The pass rushers both inside and out can have a similar impact. Devin White could make for an ELITE group of young LBs. The Bills have some options. They shouldn’t be looking for another solid starter. Those guys you find in FA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1