Joe Marino (Locked on Bills): Two names he is hearing in 1st for Bills: Jonah Williams, DK Metcalf

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm looking at the empirical charts that are calculated from previous trades, which are far more accurate than the JJ chart, and the draft class itself. This class is nowhere close to the QB class last year was. It's more reminiscent of 2017, perhaps (where KC gave a future 1st (2nd in value) and a 3rd to go from 27 to 10). Moving up from the early teens to 9 is very unlikely to net a 2nd. Not with this draft class.

In fact, it didn’t net a second round pick even last year.  Arizona only gave up a third (plus a late round pick) to move from 15 to 10 to select their QB of the (very brief) future.

1 hour ago, ducej11 said:

What did he think the three mistakes were by Beane?

I skimmed through and did not see an answer to this.

1)  No vetran QB on the roster to start the season.  A mistake fixed by signing Barkley and Anderson.

2) Not retooling OL after departures of Wood, Igcognito and Glenn.  I'd argue this was attempted but was done so on the cheap due to dead cap constraints.

3) Having big targets Benjamin and Holmes as WR1 and WR3 to start the season.  I'd argue that they were not the wrong type of receiver to have, just that they were not good enough at it.

The overall point is that Beane has been very agressive at fixing these roster mistakes and that it may continue to be adressed early in the draft, hence Metcalf/Williams talk.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The lack of polish on Metcalf is concerning, but I will say one thing, the idea of Metcalf "Mossing" the league with Allen's arm and Brown keeping things honest on the other side is very intriguing.  

The amount of speed in our WR's would be absurd.   Metcalf, Foster & Brown.  Allen's arm strength would certainly be put to good use.

4 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Kyle Williams was drafted in 2006 and didn't become a Pro Bowl DT until 2010.  You want to take a DT like Khalen Saunders in the 3rd and wait 5 seasons for the lightbulb to turn on and they become a Pro Bowler?

Kyle was still VERY serviceable early on and yes I would take the above stated scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't love either of these guys. I'd be pretty dissapointed with either. If Williams is not a sure thing at LT then I don't want him in the top ten. If that's where they are going to play him and feel like he is going to be elite, fine.  Metcalf is a reach there and a little too boom or bust for me. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd be a bit dissapointed. I think this entire draft process has been a massive smokescreen for who they really want, and that's probably TJ Hockenson or somebody we are thinking about like Byron Murphy. I still think it's Oliver or Sweat. 

Your evaluations are solid, so maybe I am wrong on this. My sense is Sweat on defensive side is the same boom/bust risk that Metcalf is on the offensive side. I'd rather take the shot with Metcalf personally.

Edited by Dr. Who

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

In fact, it didn’t net a second round pick even last year.  Arizona only gave up a third (plus a late round pick) to move from 15 to 10 to select their QB of the (very brief) future.

Yeah, they gave a 3rd and a 5th to move up from 15 to 10. That's around what one could reasonably expect again this year imo.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

6 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Kyle Williams was drafted in 2006 and didn't become a Pro Bowl DT until 2010.  You want to take a DT like Khalen Saunders in the 3rd and wait 5 seasons for the lightbulb to turn on and they become a Pro Bowler?

Ridiculous (like most everything you post.). Kyle was a force from the first week of his first training camp.  Couldn’t care less when his first pro bowl was.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dlonce said:

The notion that anyone inside the Bills is going to allude to who they are drafting is absurd.

Any name dropping at this point is fodder. Also, there’s no way the Bills are using 9 to draft Metcalf.

How many guys had Edmunds going to the Bills last year? I’d say there’s a better chance the Bills trade up this year to get who they really desire.

Allen was linked to the Bills though by many.

Thursday can’t come quick enough.

No one has any idea, BUT I KNOW that they aren’t taking Dj Metcalf.  Lol

53 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The lack of polish on Metcalf is concerning, but I will say one thing, the idea of Metcalf "Mossing" the league with Allen's arm and Brown keeping things honest on the other side is very intriguing.  

Chuck, just think of the Vikings with Jake Reed, Cris Carter, Randy Moss and Randall Cunningham at QB.

Edited by the skycap

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love the recent idea of Haskins to bengals. Great fit with Zach Taylor if he runs Mcvay offense. Can sit for a year behind dalton. Plus he’s not in our division and i neither like nor dislike the Bengals and will be almost always be able to root for Dwayne. 

Stays in Ohio too, huh Yolo:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

His arms are like 1/8 inch shorter than Dillard and people aren’t questioning him at OT. I mean I just think if a guy can play he can play. 

I think Jax is going to take him though

I don't disagree at all, but that's been the dialogue around him. Early in the process he was in the top 10 of many mock's, but that's changed the last couple of months. 

Of course mock's really don't mean anything. Just seems to be the common perception that he'd likely drop to the teen's. 

No one is hearing anything- it is all assumptions and best guesses. Every team keep their draft room/board tighter than Fort Knox. Not tryin to be a jerk, just saying don’t believe any of it. Sure, they may draft one of the 2 guys- but everything is a hunch right now.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Your evaluations are solid, so maybe I am wrong on this. My sense is Sweat on defensive side is the same boom/bust risk that Metcalf is on the offensive side. I'd rather take the shot with Metcalf personally.

If they take Metcalf or Sweat over Hockenson I think I will be dissapointed. I hope Oliver drops. That's the guy I want. But you are right that there is risk with both. If they take Metcalf over Sweat I won't be mad. I just think the Red flags with Metcalf are too much for the top ten. Lack of production, short area quickness, injuries, drops. When do receivers like that make it in the NFL? He strikes me as one of those guys who is going to flash tremendous ability, but is always going to have a soft tissue injuries. Pulled hamstring, tight groin etc etc. like a really big John Ross. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Fine.  Have it your way.  Have fun watching Metcalf and Allen sit on the sidelines, as they watch the run defense get torched week in and week out.

You can find a good DT outside of the first round. They could always go for Tillery or Simmons in the second round.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

You can find a good DT outside of the first round. They could always go for Tillery or Simmons in the second round.

Um, Simmons has a torn ACL and might miss the entire season.

What has Jerry Tillery done of any note?  What great things did he do for Notre Dame this past season?

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If they take Metcalf or Sweat over Hockenson I think I will be dissapointed. I hope Oliver drops. That's the guy I want. But you are right that there is risk with both. If they take Metcalf over Sweat I won't be mad. I just think the Ed flags with Metcalf are too much for the top ten. Lack of production, short area quickness, injuries, drops. When do receivers like that make it in the NFL? He strikes me as one of those guys who is going to flash tremendous ability, but is always going to have a soft tissue injuries. Pulled hamstring, tight groin etc etc. 

Okay, thanks. I prefer Oliver as well, but it's starting to sound like there's not much chance he will be available at nine. I have a hard time valuing TE that early in the first. I guess I'm emotionally the reverse. I'd be happier with Metcalf, though I agree he's more of a risk. I'd be okay with Hockenson, however. 

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Um, Simmons has a torn ACL and might miss the entire season.

What has Jerry Tillery done of any note?  What great things did he do for Notre Dame this past season?

I think Beane likes Tillery. I don't believe we are locked into needing to take interior DL in the first, though I'd take Oliver or Q. Williams ahead of any other prospects. Just don't think they'll be available.