LeSean McCoy on the trading block?

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So a 9M a year back is limited to a very specific line and scheme.  Hmmm 

Sorry I can get the same production out of a Rookie back that I can get from a 9M dollar back it is time to move on. That is the reality. People have to stop wanting to keep players past their value.  

Get more in line with NE. Better to move a player and maximize value a couple years too early than hold on to him and watch him his that wall. And the value plummet like we are now with McCoy 

Sorry I can get the same production out of a Rookie back that I can get from a 9M dollar back it is time to move on. That is the reality. People have to stop wanting to keep players past their value.  

Get more in line with NE. Better to move a player and maximize value a couple years too early than hold on to him and watch him his that wall. And the value plummet like we are now with McCoy. 

Like Trent Richardson.  

Very few RBs can have any sort of production behind an Oline like the crap we had last year.  Youre just trying to grab onto anything you can huh. 

Youre going to be very disappointed when Shady is still carrying the Rock in Buf.  That is until you realize youre wrong.  Just like people were wrong about AP.  I do think if the value is right we take a RB.  Shadys Cliff is coming in a couple of years, its just not here yet.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Get more in line with NE. Better to move a player and maximize value a couple years too early than hold on to him and watch him his that wall. And the value plummet like we are now with McCoy 

can we stop bringing up money as a reason here? it means slim to none when it comes to this situation. mccoys contract isn't keeping us from doing anything this offseason. 

there are plenty of reasons to move on or keep him. money at this point doesn't even need to be brought up. although I agree that if he was gonna be shipped out it needed to happen already. i'll keep McCoy at this point over the 6th rounder a team would send over.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Like Trent Richardson.

Nah more like Lindsey I can stop names too 

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

can we stop bringing up money as a reason here? it means slim to none when it comes to this situation. mccoys contract isn't keeping us from doing anything this offseason. 

there are plenty of reasons to move on or keep him. money at this point doesn't even need to be brought up. although I agree that if he was gonna be shipped out it needed to happen already. i'll keep McCoy at this point over the 6th rounder a team would send over.

May this point he is here for the year. But that specifically points to holding on too late. He walks next year as he should. 

Mans yes I bring up Money only in the context of if you are paying a Running Back 9M a year he better not be so scheme and OL limited as everyone wants to use for the production falling off a cliff. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nah more like Lindsey I can stop names too 

My point is that you could draft a guy and cut Shady and end up with a worse back, but you already know that huh.  

You just dont want to acknowledge you could be wrong.  Heck I could be wrong.  He could hit that wall over the offseason.

BTW what exactly is "stopping names"?

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

My point is that you could draft a guy and cut Shady and end up with a worse back, but you already know that huh.  

You just dont want to acknowledge you could be wrong.  Heck I could be wrong.  He could hit that wall over the offseason.

BTW what exactly is "stopping names"?

My point is in that Position history says otherwise 

9 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I suspect it's a lot more than even that.  The "worth" as posters put it is not being considered by Beane and McDermott.

They want him on the team this year and many cannot understand why.

It has to be things many are not considering.  Leadership, "buying into the process", marquise (maybe former now) player staying in Buffalo,

and I think he really WANTS to stay here.   

A healthy Shady with a lower amount of snaps (I'm suspecting 150-175) in a much improved offense could be a big difference this year.

He was the only Buffalo Bill that defenses needed to plan against last year and it showed especially behind that OL.

Beane is sticking with an extreme veteran RB stable who will split snaps and it will show JA what RBs in the NFL need to be doing.

Shady, Gore and Yeldon all bring something different to the table and if anyone thinks that will not help JA they will have to prove that to me.

I think this is a wise move compared to having a rookie take 225 snaps in the backfield with Josh Allen.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I suspect it's a lot more than even that.  The "worth" as posters put it is not being considered by Beane and McDermott.

They want him on the team this year and many cannot understand why.

It has to be things many are not considering.  Leadership, "buying into the process", marquise (maybe former now) player staying in Buffalo,

and I think he really WANTS to stay here.   

A healthy Shady with a lower amount of snaps (I'm suspecting 150-175) in a much improved offense could be a big difference this year.

He was the only Buffalo Bill that defenses needed to plan against last year and it showed especially behind that OL.

Beane is sticking with an extreme veteran RB stable who will split snaps and it will show JA what RBs in the NFL need to be doing.

Shady, Gore and Yeldon all bring something different to the table and if anyone thinks that will not help JA they will have to prove that to me.

I think this is a wise move compared to having a rookie take 225 snaps in the backfield with Josh Allen.

I like McCoy. I'm glad we are keeping him but IMO the people fighting for him around here are drastically overrating his on the field value. I personally think there is no way any team would ever consider more than a 5th for him. I DO think he bounces back in large way this year with an improved line. which leads me to my next point, which I've already stated, and I think we are in a agreement on.... his value as a leader and veteran that can still have even just solid on the field impact is MUCH more valuable than the 5th or probably 6th they would get in return. 

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I like McCoy. I'm glad we are keeping him but IMO the people fighting for him around here are drastically overrating his on the field value. I personally think there is no way any team would ever consider more than a 5th for him. I DO think he bounces back in large way this year with an improved line. which leads me to my next point, which I've already stated, and I think we are in a agreement on.... his value as a leader and veteran that can still have even just solid on the field impact is MUCH more valuable than the 5th or probably 6th they would get in return. 

I agree.  I hope we are both right.

17 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I'm not sure he'll bounce back, but I certainly hope he can/does.  I wouldn't let him go for a 5th.  I probably would for a 4th.  I honestly don't know what kind of a leader he is on the team.  I've been a McCoy fan since we got him.  My gut just tells me that he's done.  I'd rather get a 4th for him and let Gore be the veteran leader, personally.  That said, I won' t be upset in the least if he sticks around.

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not sure he'll bounce back, but I certainly hope he can/does.  I wouldn't let him go for a 5th.  I probably would for a 4th.  I honestly don't know what kind of a leader he is on the team.  I've been a McCoy fan since we got him.  My gut just tells me that he's done.  I'd rather get a 4th for him and let Gore be the veteran leader, personally.  That said, I won' t be upset in the least if he sticks around.

I’ll be perfectly honest. Me thinking he bounces to a solid level is 100% the bills fan in me. If it were any other great back turning 31 on any other team I would say “stick a fork in’m“ 

the line improving(big time, if only on paper) doesn’t hurt either. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

You made some very solid, true statements in this post. :thumbsup:

No. He'll play this last season on his contract, gain over 1,000 yards and move on. He'll be well remembered for never calling out a horrendous OL that failed him all of last season when a lot of other guys would have run crying to the press. Shady accepted his situation like a man and this year he will look like the real McCoy once again.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, iinii said:

As my Grandfather told me many years ago, everything is for sale. Should the “right” buyer come along, he could be gone baby gone.

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but your grandpappy was wrong ?

(to take it to an extreme) is your honor and integrity for sale? Is someone's loyalty for sale? Are your children for sale? Some things are not negotiable.

Shady will be a Bill in 2019.

As to the 30-year old RB wall, yes, it is legitimate. RBs on average do significantly decline starting at age 28 for normal backs and around 30 for elite backs. But, averages are just that. It means there are exceptions to those averages, otherwise the averages would be even lower.

Since 1990, 31 RBs have had a 1,000 yard season over the age of 30. So, on average, at least one 30-plus-year old RB each season has a 1,000 yard year. AP did it last year at 33 years old. Frank Gore did it in 2016 at age 33 (and followed it up in 2017 with 961 yards at age 34). Tiki Barber had his two best seasons as a pro at age 30 and 31 (going for 1860 and 1662 yards respectively). Our own Fred Jackson had 1,277 yards from scrimmage at age 32 and 1,027 yards from scrimmage at age 33. Emmitt Smith had 937 yards and 9 TDs at age 35. 

All I'm saying is that to claim Shady is done with no evidence besides his age seems ridiculous. Our line stunk last year. Our backs were consistently met 2-3 yards in the backfield all season long. The only reason Ivory looked better at times is because he is a plow ahead runner. So, he took what was available. Shady on the other hand was always trying to make something happen, but when the entire line is breaking down, there is no where to go. So, you can blame him for trying to make too much happen last year and not just taking the meager gains that were there, but I saw no evidence that he lost a step. When he did get to the open field, he didn't look slow, he hadn't lost his juke moves. If Ivory was the better back, then why is he gone and Shady still here? If the O-line wasn't the problem, then why did they just completely overhaul it? And that is not even to mention our QB situation. Every team we faced for at least the first 8-10 games stacked the box because they knew we didn't have a passing game. To lay all of that at Shady's feet seems to be lacking a full picture of what was going on.

Plus the reason so many backs slow down at that age (28-30) is not just because they get slower, but because of the serious pounding that workhorse backs take over the years. The body starts to break down overall. And as has been said many a times, Shady is a back who has avoided a lot of that heavy pounding due to his running style. He hasn't taken the big shots over the years, pounding into the line over and over. I just see no evidence that he is done yet.

Plus, having Gore and Yeldon should keep all three backs fresh. Shady won't be asked to be the lone workhorse. They don't need him to have a 1,600 yard season. How about 1,000 for Shady; 600 for Gore; and 400 for Yeldon, or something like that. Provided the line comes together, I think Shady will have a very productive year and our running game will creep back into the top 5 in the league.

Top 10 rushing seasons by a 30+ RB

Player Yr. Age Team Yds.
Tiki Barber '05 30 NYG 1,860
Curtis Martin '04 31 NYJ 1,697
Walter Payton '84 30 CHI 1,684
Tiki Barber '06 31 NYG 1,662
Corey Dillon '04 30 NWE 1,635
Walter Payton '85 31 CHI 1,551
Barry Sanders '98 30 DET 1,491
Priest Holmes '03 30 KAN 1,420
Warrick Dunn '05 30 ATL 1,416
Thomas Jones '09 31 NYJ 1,402