Bills sign Yeldon

33 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Completely agree. Shady is the only back that can make people miss on this roster. I don’t understand the folks on this board and the anti McCoy sentiment. The o-line was garbage last year and Beane finally is rebuilding it.  

I don't understand the Yeldon signing. They have ten picks. They could have found a cheaper younger pass catching RB in the middle of the draft.   

Chris Ivory ran better behind the same o line.  McCoy is a behind the line dancer at this point.

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Shady's value is cap space. Again, Yeldon won't get many touches here if Shady returns to form. That's my point. 

I love signing Yeldon, I'm just trying to see why Yeldon would sign here. 

But what do we need with another $6.4 million in cap space for this year?

We currently have over $30 million left.  And once the draft is over, the roster is pretty much full.

At this point, Yeldon didn't have much choice.  He obviously wasn't a priority free agent.  He wasn't going to get a starting job from anyone. 

And in less than a week, the league will be overloaded with dozens of shiny-new rookie RBs.

If he waited too long, he may have been without a job until August or September.

Just two years ago, Shady was still one of the league's best RBs.

Maybe he lost a step.  But I don't know how anyone could make that assessment, considering how bad our blocking was.

We don't need another Day 3 pick.  We don't need more cap space.  It makes more sense to keep him and cross our fingers that 2018 was an anomaly, due to our poor O-Line.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Completely agree. Shady is the only back that can make people miss on this roster. I don’t understand the folks on this board and the anti McCoy sentiment. The o-line was garbage last year and Beane finally is rebuilding it.  

I don't understand the Yeldon signing. They have ten picks. They could have found a cheaper younger pass catching RB in the middle of the draft.   

The Yeldon signing allows the Bills to trade late round picks in order to move up for BPA in rounds 1-4. They don't need the 10 picks, they need quality over quantity.

Hear me out on this bit of speculation:

Bryce Love:

-4 year starter (McBeane loves them some seniors). 

-ACL injury = maybe we can attach him on IR.

-ACL injury = buy low (4th or 5th round)

-If we can IR him, he trains, prepares, and learns under two of the best RB'S in history.

I think this move to sign Yeldon has no impact on taking Love. It MAY preclude taking a back who would require a roster spot.

Therefore: Bills are gunning for Love.

Just speculation.

He's pretty decent and makes us better as a team. Murphy is highly overrated on this board.

But unless they trade Shady, which I tend to doubt, there really isn't much room for a rookie or draft pick with speed, or an heir-apparent to McCoy, outside of the practice squad. Perhaps they just think Shady and Gore are here for this year, and then they go young after they are gone.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Bryce Love:

-If we can IR him, he trains, prepares, and learns under two of the best RB'S in history.

I think this move to sign Yeldon has no impact on taking Love. It MAY preclude taking a back who would require a roster spot.

“Gunning” for a guy likely to be available in round 6 or 7?  Ok...

2 hours ago, TC in St. Louis said:

This could be a setup to put Shady back in Philly.  They can probably leverage a 3rd round pick out of this, send Shady home, which would make him happy.  And save several million dollars in cap space.  They may draft a RB with the pick they get for Shady.  

Didn't Philly just get Jordan Howard?

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Shady's value is cap space. Again, Yeldon won't get many touches here if Shady returns to form. That's my point. 

I love signing Yeldon, I'm just trying to see why Yeldon would sign here. 

Maybe no other team offered him a contract

Edited by nucci

24 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Bryce Love:

Just speculation.

This actually makes some sense but I’m thinking more like the 7th. Love still comes with a TON of risk so I don’t see them handing him the keys in 2020 but he would be a great option to compete for it if healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

Maybe no other team offered him a contract

Or he sees an up and coming team with a vastly improved OL and a very old backfield and believes he'll have an opportunity to carve out a role. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, TOboy said:

Or he sees an up and coming team with a vastly improved OL and a very old backfield and believes he'll have an opportunity to carve out a role. 

Yep, more than 1 good reason he signed here

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's pretty decent and makes us better as a team. Murphy is highly overrated on this board.

But unless they trade Shady, which I tend to doubt, there really isn't much room for a rookie or draft pick with speed, or an heir-apparent to McCoy, outside of the practice squad. Perhaps they just think Shady and Gore are here for this year, and then they go young after they are gone.

Yup. RBs are more likely than most positions to be pro ready right off the bat, so I’m guessing they wait till next year’s draft and target one on day 2 rather than picking one now to red shirt.

I think TJY is a solid pick up.

• Like (+1) 1