Why the Bills can never be 1st Class in the NFL

PUNT750

3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Who else is using turf in an outdoor stadium with a northern climate? Comparing injury rates from a controlled environment and an uncontrolled environment is a bit misleading. How do the numbers change if they just used September games at New Era? Additionally, are these injuries lower body injuries, or does this include all injuries that occurred during a game on the surface like helmet to helmet concussions?

Michigan Stadium’s field is below the water table, it got soggy, so it uses turf

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

There is not enough info to make a determination regarding weather, and so on.  The title is terrible and misleading.

Yup.  Another click-bait troll job from this user.  Can't wait for the pre-season purge.

• Haha (+1) 1

How many ACL injuries have the Bills had at New Era Field? I don't seem to recall many at all. And I have to doubt that the Pegula's would let Erie County install what they could regard as a "dangerous" playing field, if they truly felt that this was going to be the cause of serious injuries to their players. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

The title rubbed me the wrong way, but the post seems legit. Good point. I'd still like to see the study. Could be related to climate, sample size (the Bills are the only team using the stuff), etc.

Yes it is clear this is a LAMP post by title since it has very little to do with post.  Post should be punted.

1 hour ago, DefenseWins said:

How many ACL injuries have the Bills had at New Era Field? I don't seem to recall many at all. And I have to doubt that the Pegula's would let Erie County install what they could regard as a "dangerous" playing field, if they truly felt that this was going to be the cause of serious injuries to their players. 

i can rhyme off a few disasters, not sure if they were precisely ACL....

1 hour ago, DefenseWins said:

turf was viewed as a money-saver from day one

less expensive than grass, players get hurt so you cut down on Free Agency expenses in the future....

What I’ve noticed is that a lot more players were slipping on the previous field than on other artificial surfaces. Not being a doctor I’m not sure if slipping leads to more injuries or if it actually prevents them as players cleats don’t grab and stick.

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What I’ve noticed is that a lot more players were slipping on the previous field than on other artificial surfaces. Not being a doctor I’m not sure if slipping leads to more injuries or if it actually prevents them as players cleats don’t grab and stick.

you trust the doctors hired by the Bills to tell you if the team has more injuries during their gig?

This feels like it has the beginnings of a hit piece on the county executive.  However, they are using the turf because it has a direct financial impact in the area.  Maybe the study has some merit.  It really means an injury, no clue on extent, per game. I don't think that the Bills will stop using a local source any time soon.

When your not a premier destination in the NFL you have to do the little things right.  When you lose the battle of location, location, location, you'd think they'd want to do anything they could to show themselves being committed to doing the very best they can for their players.  That includes sports science, amenities and staff.  This all is very important to organizational philosophy and culture.  Why would the Bills not add funds to what Erie County is spending and not purchase peer reviewed high quality surface?

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you trust the doctors hired by the Bills to tell you if the team has more injuries during their gig?

Well the Bills used to have lowest injury rate in NFL when Rusty Jones was in charge of the training and physical therapy part of team until he was "promoted" to front office and then left for Bears.  Bears then had their injury rate go down.  This tells you it is not all the turf (Bills did not have grass from trays like Cardinals have and LV will) but multiple factors but go ahead and pretend it is just one thing and "Bills are bad". Their doctors also developed techniques used by entire NFL now.

5 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Both NY teams, Bengals, Patriots and Seattle which is kind of a Northern climate!  The facts don't lie!  A-Turf is bad - worse than other surfaces.

AND - I love the BILLS!   Spending $18 mil on training facilities is wonderful.  I just don't get letting Erie County buy our field turf with a national bad reputation for injuries through a local vendor who has donated money to the County Executive over the years.  Get it!!!

Ahhhh, so you have an agenda. At least it didn’t come out in your first post.

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well the Bills used to have lowest injury rate in NFL when Rusty Jones was in charge of the training and physical therapy part of team until he was "promoted" to front office and then left for Bears.  Bears then had their injury rate go down.  This tells you it is not all the turf (Bills did not have grass from trays like Cardinals have and LV will) but multiple factors but go ahead and pretend it is just one thing and "Bills are bad". Their doctors also developed techniques used by entire NFL now.

again, you trust the Bills doctors when they say they had the lowest injury rates?

it's been a horrible history of pretending injuries didn't exist, or weren't all that severe

hopefully it's a bit more enlightened now....